Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:21:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sad Hill dog scene
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sad Hill dog scene  (Read 3716 times)
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »

I have read or heard that the dog that appears at Sad Hill at the end was sent in by Leone to get shock reaction from Eli Wallach who was unaware of it...hence he looks spooked.........Anyone got anymore info or is it just one of those stories.......I have heard Leone liked playing practical jokes.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »

I don't know anything about it but have always wondered myself as that little touch has always fascinated me on so many different levels  Smiley

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »

I have read or heard that the dog that appears at Sad Hill at the end was sent in by Leone to get shock reaction from Eli Wallach who was unaware of it...hence he looks spooked.........Anyone got anymore info or is it just one of those stories.......I have heard Leone liked playing practical jokes.

Yep! that is apparently a true statement.....

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »

Leone said it in Conversations Avec Noel Simsolo:

"Pour le final, c'est lui qui nous fait découvrir le cimetière où l'or est caché. Je lui ai demandé d'y entrer avec gravité. Et avec aussi de l'espoir et de la tension. Dans le plus parfait silence. Et au moment de la prise, sans le prévenir, je lui ai fait envoyer un chien dans les jambes. J'ai filmé le naturel de sa surprise. Et ce n'était pas seulement un gag. Il fallait que je casse la tension dramatique pour éviter de glisser vers le mélodrame."

Rough translation:

" For the final, he makes us discover the cemetery where the gold is. I asked him to enter it with solemnity. But also with hope and tension. In a perfect silence. And when we shot it, without telling him, I had a dog sent at him. I shot his natural surprise. And it wasn't just a joke. I had to break the tension to avoid going too melodramatic."

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »

" For the final, he makes us discover the cemetery where the gold is. I asked him to enter it with solemnity. But also with hope and tension. In a perfect silence."
He asked how? In Italian? And Eli understood him?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »

He says they loved working with each other, everything was very simple. They made fun at each other on the set (As you know, Leone often showed actors what to do... Eli thought that was fun so he was always asking Leone to show him: "Sergio, show me how I should walk!"). I guess they found a way to communicate Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »

He asked how? In Italian? And Eli understood him?

As You don't know it... Wallach said they could communicate in french (I'm sure Leone could, don't know about Wallach though). And I presume somebody could translate things in english, otherwise Eastwood could never have had such a career.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »

There is communication and then there is communication. Concepts such as "solemnity", "hope and tension", and "perfect silence" are rather specific. Was Eli actually following such directions, or merely doing what he'd normally do in a scene without any lines?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:44 AM »

There is communication and then there is communication. Concepts such as "solemnity", "hope and tension", and "perfect silence" are rather specific. Was Eli actually following such directions, or merely doing what he'd normally do in a scene without any lines?

My guess is that Segio on set could communicate the basic stuff about it ("very serious ok?"), and the intellectual Leone from the 1980's finds other ways to say so.

www.ThibautOskian.com
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 03:39:47 AM »

What about the dog at the Confederate outpost with AE , and the cat with Blondie?  Roll Eyes

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 05:54:25 AM »

My guess is that Segio on set could communicate the basic stuff about it ("very serious ok?"), and the intellectual Leone from the 1980's finds other ways to say so.
Just wanted to hear someone say that.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:14 AM »

sometimes someone will repeat a story/statement from a decade earlier without quoting the EXACT words they used originally.

who the hell knows what word Leone said in Italian to convey "solemnity." Is it that important? is it so hard to believe that he could somehow convey the idea of solemnity to Wallach (whether with an interpreter which I presume they had on set, or in the broken French that Wallach said he and Leone communicated in)?

Yeah, it seems very very difficult to believe that somehow, some way, Leone conveyed to Wallach that when he enters the cemetery, he should do so solemnly Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:40:20 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:24:15 AM »

Just wanted to hear someone say that.

I know you did Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:47 AM »

sometimes someone will repeat a story/statement from a decade earlier without quoting the EXACT words they used originally.

who the hell knows what word Leone said in Italian to convey "solemnity." Is it that important?
It is if you want to demonstrate that SL was a bullshitter.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that Wallach and Leone spoke in French. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM