Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:34:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Glove
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Glove  (Read 11680 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 04:57:02 PM »

Smiley
because sergio was directing french dubing: he could speak gfrench much better than english Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 04:42:57 AM »

Frayling says the character is called "monk."  Why do you think the French would get it right?Smiley

Fraylings got a few errors here and there throughout is book.

Example:

1998 Spaghetti Westerns Cowyboys and Euro...
Chapter The Critics
pg.126,

Second paragraph down:

If Leone's interest in weird anecdotes about the American West (such as the more than slightly dubious story of Wyatt Earp shooting wildly in the direction of a footstep behind him, and accidentally killing his deputy) is ...

Here he is quoting Leone from an interview in 1973, however, if you know some of the history of the Wild West you'll realise that both Leone and Frayling have it wrong. It wasn't Wyatt Earp that that particular incident happened to but another famous western lawman Wild Bill Hickock.

Leone was illustrating his point about the real west vs the "...cruel puritain fairy-story. It is the Far West reinterpreted br Frankenstein and Disneyland". He got the lawmen switched in an interview, but Frayling didn't catch the Leone's mistake in his book.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 11:35:38 PM »

As Frayling said in the FAFDM dvd commentary, the thing with the leather gauntlet somehow didn't come across as clearly as the script meant it to:

Manco ("one armed") is a bounty hunter who only uses his left hand in all his non-shooting activities, so that his right (ie. shooting) hand is free for whenever he needs to draw. On that right hand, he wears a trademark leather gauntlet, which he is known for. That's why when he joins Indio's gang, he is not wearing the gauntlet -- so that no one will know who he is. And just before he shoots the 3 gang members atop the mountain, he is wearing the gauntlet again, letting them know "I am Manco. And you are dead!" and when Indio catches him sneaking out of the area where the safe with the money was, he has the gauntlet and says "Put it on," ie. "I know who you are!"

So as Frayling said, this thing with the gauntlet perhaps didn't come through in the movie as clearly as it was meant to (and indeed, I did not know all this till I heard Frayling's commentary. But once I heard it, it all makes perfect sense  Wink )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »

If Manco/Monco means one handed...how come he pastes Cavanagh with only his left hand. Also in FOD his damaged hand is his left one isn't it? When does he damage his Right Hand?

and also......putting the "protecting his right hand" into doubt.........guess which hand he wacks TUCO with when he first hands him in to the sherriff for the reward?

Ahem!!!!

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »

and also......putting the "protecting his right hand" into doubt.........guess which hand he wacks TUCO with when he first hands him in to the sherriff for the reward?

Ahem!!!!

ICE

Ahem, who is "he"? It's not the same character. There is no Manco in GBU? This is not the same character. A different character who happens to wear the same clothes. The "MWNN Trilogy," implying this is all the same nameless character, was nothing other than a marketing ploy by United Artists.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »

I think we all know the sequence of events dont add up in the time line of the three films and the equipment and trains and guns sometime dont match the era, but just cause he is given a different name by different people he meets along the way doesn't mean it cant be the same person / character. Is it coincidence that he wears exactly the same clothes, fires the same gun, is a bounty killer, is the same age, trawls the same locations, smokes the same cigars, has the same morals....etc etc

Do we see the glove in the FOD and GBU, I forget, being a gunman would he not protect his right hand in any situation in any of the movies?Huh

ICE

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:15:32 PM by iceman » Logged

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM