Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:54:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jill's Theme or Deborah's Theme? Which is better?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jill's Theme or Deborah's Theme? Which is better?  (Read 7199 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:31:17 AM »

(My tour reviving some good old discussions moves on to OUATIA  Wink)

I'm not gonna choose between the 2 -- I NEVER choose among great works; I am always happy to list my greatest works but hate ranking them against each other   Wink --  but I'll just add a couple of notes on the songs:

-- When I first watched OUATIA and first heard Deborah's Theme (in the haunting scene where Noodles, after returning to Fat Moe's after 35 years, takes a stroll around the place), I said to myself, "that sounds like Jill's Theme!" Well, now I recall (I believe I read it in STDWD) that Morricone was initially reluctant to use Deborah's Theme in OUATIA for fear that it sounded too much like Jill's Theme!

-- what is awesome about Jill's Theme is how you can figure out the movie from that song. It is just amazing. The first time I saw OUATITW, I absolutely hated it (bear in mind that by that time, basiclally the only Westerns I had ever seen were the Dollars films, and in order to properly appreciate OUATITW, you really have to be familiar with the American Western). Anyway, as much as I hated the movie, based on the musical theme, I said to myself, "there is something deeper here that I am not getting. This song is telling me that there is something much more complex that I am not understanding. There is definitely a theme here of something new and big and vast -- a new world."

Of course, since that time, once I read more about OUATITW and watched it many times, of course I love it now. But I still find it incredible how I basically figured out what a movie -- that I didn't like or understand at the time -- was trying to say, all on the basis of a song. When a song without any lyrics can tell you a story -- that is just amazing work by Morricone and Leone  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM