Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 04:39:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dementia (1955)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dementia (1955)  (Read 64 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »

titoli March 26, 2011, 01:08:18 AM

Dementia - Daughter of Horror (1955) I thought I was in for some cheap budgeted horror foray, instead this is a quintessential noir. Even though the nightmare element is pervading, the techniques of the movie remind me more of noir flicks than horror ones. What i can't digest of this movie is the fact that all the women are below-average, expecially the protagonist. Had she been more appetizing I could have given this movie 9\10 (because, of course, they can say in the blurbs on the cover that this compares with Un chien andalou: but it doesn't have the force (and the irony) of Bunuel's classic). But to make a cheap budgeted movie with those results makes it a solid 8\10.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg147282#msg147282

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:34:22 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »

titoli March 26, 2011, 01:08:18 AM

Dementia - Daughter of Horror (1955) I thought I was in for some cheap budgeted horror foray, instead this is a quintessential noir. Even though the nightmare element is pervading, the techniques of the movie remind me more of noir flicks than horror ones. What i can't digest of this movie is the fact that all the women are below-average, expecially the protagonist. Had she been more appetizing I could have given this movie 9\10 (because, of course, they can say in the blurbs on the cover that this compares with Un chien andalou: but it doesn't have the force (and the irony) of Bunuel's classic). But to make a cheap budgeted movie with those results makes it a solid 8\10.

Bizarre film, like mentioned above could have used better looking women, they did a good job with what they had but its no "Carnival of Souls".

Above was my first response, watched it again just now with a much better print and am more inclined to agree with titoli. It's definitely more Noir than Horror, and I wish it would have been made in 1965 rather than 1955, they would have had more artistic freedom to have been much more explicit, if they had wanted to.
I'll give it a 7.5/10.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:41:38 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM