Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 07:59:34 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A list of Film Noirs that i want for my collection.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: A list of Film Noirs that i want for my collection.  ( 273 )
Moorman

« : January 09, 2018, 05:23:17 PM »

Jessica Rabbitt and a few board members have advised me against going out and purchasing movies without first seeing them. I'm trying to build up a collection and i HAVE struck out on a few.  Some i want for historical purposes. Here are the remaining movies on my list. Please give opinions on whether they are worth purchasing or not:

The Prowler ( Van Heflin)
The Big Heat (Glenn Ford)
House of Strangers ( Edward G. Robinson)
Kiss Me Deadly
Ministry of Fear ( Hitchcock)
Angel Face ( Robert Mitchum)
Odd Man Out ( James Mason)
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte ( Bette Davis)
I Wake Up Screaming
Where the Sidewalk Ends
The Breaking Point
Metropolis
Rebecca
Touch of Evil
The Asphalt Jungle

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1 : January 09, 2018, 05:44:24 PM »

There are some very good movies on your list, butI don’t suggest that you purchase ANY movie before seeing it once, assuming it is available in some way other than purchasing (rental or streaming). Once you know that you like it and want to own it, then purchase it.

This question of “what to buy before I see it”  should only be for films that are unavailable except by purchasing the disc  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : January 09, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »

These are essentials in my book

Kiss Me Deadly
I Wake Up Screaming
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Touch of Evil
The Asphalt Jungle

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman

« #3 : January 09, 2018, 06:16:18 PM »

There are some very good movies on your list, butI don’t suggest that you purchase ANY movie before seeing it once, assuming it is available in some way other than purchasing (rental or streaming). Once you know that you like it and want to own it, then purchase it.

This question of “what to buy before I see it”  should only be for films that are unavailable except by purchasing the disc  :)

I used to do exactly that. I guess i gotta go back to Youtube and other streaming services. I been on a bad streak with purchases lately, lol...

Moorman

« #4 : January 09, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »

These are essentials in my book

Kiss Me Deadly
I Wake Up Screaming
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Touch of Evil
The Asphalt Jungle

Most of those are films that were recommended to me by you and other board members when i first inquired about Film Noirs back at the beginning of last year.  House of Strangers, Ministry of Fear, Odd man out, Rebecca and a few others i ran across and want to see what they are about...

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #5 : January 09, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »

I strongly recommend not blind buying movies. It makes for an awkward looking collection that doesn't have much personality or any coherence. It's also a waste of space when factoring X percentage of your collection doesn't reflect upon your taste. My own personal rule is that I won't buy a movie unless I'd rate it an 8/10 or higher. That unofficial rule has made for a pretty damn good bluray collection where I'm not looking to get rid of anything.

As far as the movies you listed:

The Prowler
The Big Heat
Kiss Me Deadly
Touch of Evil
The Asphalt Jungle

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines