Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 22, 2018, 04:25:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Antonioni
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Antonioni  (Read 5511 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 08:31:10 PM »

Yeah, the stuff he's been doing lately isn't very good, but give the guy a break. Since his stroke, it's amazing he can do anything at all.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 06:57:09 AM »

I think the point is he is really geting old now... And to have to manage a whole crew, a script and actors may be a little hard for him now...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 09:54:25 AM »

That's not the biggest problem with getting old. Coming up with new ideas is the biggie: at a certain point in their lives people can still function doing what they know, they just can't learn anything new. Look at the Antonioni/Wenders film, Beyond the Clouds: it's just a series of loosely linked episodes based on some stories the guy wrote when he was young.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 11:51:05 AM »

Heck, if I am lucky to live to 94 I will probably be relegated
to the corner of the room, slumped over in my rocking chair, with my droll cup firmly attached to my chin Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 02:59:02 AM »

I think I'm done watching Antonioni films, though, of his three movies I've seen – Blow-Up, L'Avventura, and L'eclisse – there wasn't a single bad scene. They all kept me interested, every scene was enjoyable, fun, or pretty to look at (which can happen when you have Monica Vitti  Wink ) there's hardly a moment that I'm having a bad time... but then, when it's over, I wonder what the hell I've been watching (and enjoying!) the past couple of hours!
This artsy stuff ain't for me. Sometimes when watching artsy fartsy stuff, I can imagine the director laughing at me, as if he's saying, "I'm just having fun doing whatever I want, and you don't even know what the hell is going on!"

I am definitely the kinda movie fan that prefers a more classic sort of story to the artsy stuff.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »

I can't imagine him being too keen on Leone or his films films either.

Doesn't STDWD have a picture of Leone and Antonioni hanging out at Cannes? Not that it proves anything, of course.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »

I think I'm done watching Antonioni films, though, of his three movies I've seen – Blow-Up, L'Avventura, and L'eclisse – there wasn't a single bad scene. They all kept me interested, every scene was enjoyable, fun, or pretty to look at (which can happen when you have Monica Vitti  Wink ) there's hardly a moment that I'm having a bad time... but then, when it's over, I wonder what the hell I've been watching (and enjoying!) the past couple of hours!
This artsy stuff ain't for me. Sometimes when watching artsy fartsy stuff, I can imagine the director laughing at me, as if he's saying, "I'm just having fun doing whatever I want, and you don't even know what the hell is going on!"

I am definitely the kinda movie fan that prefers a more classic sort of story to the artsy stuff.
Then you should enjoy the films Antonioni made BEFORE L'Avventura, which was before he became Mr. Arthouse and was still making more standard--but nonetheless good--films. Check out Story of a Love Affair (1950), The Lady Without Camelias (1953), Le Amiche (1955), and Il Grido (1957). Skip I vinti (1953).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »

Then you should enjoy the films Antonioni made BEFORE L'Avventura, which was before he became Mr. Arthouse and was still making more standard--but nonetheless good--films. Check out Story of a Love Affair (1950), The Lady Without Camelias (1953), Le Amiche (1955), and Il Grido (1957). Skip I vinti (1953).

thanks, I'll look those up  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »

Region A blu of L'eclisse coming in June from CC: http://www.criterion.com/films/928-l-eclisse

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »

Giorgio Gaslini's soundtrack album for La Notte in da house! This hasn't been available on CD in the US lately (if ever), so I'm glad to get it. Fifty-six minutes of cool jazz--very soothing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »

THE PASSENGER
(Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975)
Release date: 19 March 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

In one of the most acclaimed films of all time, Michelangelo Antonioni (Blow-up, Zabriskie Point) directed international star Jack Nicholson (The Last Detail, The Border, Wolf) and Maria Schneider (Last Tango in Paris) in an elliptical and fascinating thriller about alienation and lost identities. Now finally making its Blu-ray debut in the UK, this essential work from one of cinema’s most renowned and celebrated film artists is accompanied by an array of fascinating and insightful extra features.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with actor Jack Nicholson
• Audio commentary with screenwriter Mark Peploe and journalist Aurora Irvine
• New interview with actor Steven Berkoff (2018)
• New interview with actor Jenny Runacre (2018)
• Antonioni: 'Profession Reporter' (1975, 4 mins): the director discusses the film in an interview conducted at the 1975 Cannes Film Festival
• Michelangelo Antonioni – à propos du cinéma (1975, 5 mins): Antonioni discusses his philosophy of cinema
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Amy Simmons, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD049
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071243
Here's hoping the remaster is worth something.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 12:49:36 PM »

Here's hoping the remaster is worth something.

Does this movie have a normal story? Or is it one of those movies like L’Avventure, L’Eclisse, and Blow Up?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »

One of those.

It never gave me much, for me a lesser Antonioni.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 01:26:26 PM »

I've always liked it, partly because of Nicholson, partly because of the plot (which fizzles at the end). Antonioni never did anything as interesting afterwards.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 02:16:09 AM »

But that's not that difficult as he did not made much afterwards. But I prefer Identificazione di una donna to The Passenger, and I began to really like Zabriskie Point in the last years (I re-watched both in the theatres in the 00 years) . Maybe my attitude towards The Passenger will change after a re-watch.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM