Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2018, 02:59:48 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The original audio track
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The original audio track  ( 2137 )
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

« : February 10, 2012, 02:15:09 AM »

I'm gonna come clean, I hate what MGM did to the audio track of one of my favourite films. To be specific it's the gunshots that I hate. They sound absolutely ridiculous! They sound as though someone just pressed a trigger to apply the sound as they were watching the film.

I agree with other posters here that the extra scenes should have been optional, as in you could have chosen to watch them within the film or as extras.
I don't want to get too critical about that though as I was so pleased (I think I actually got drunk I was so happy!) to see them and that discussion is for another thread.... (the scenes, not me getting drunk)

What I am really wondering is will GBU get another treatment where the studios realise that the extra scenes should be optional and the old gunshots are re-instated? I don't believe that bullsh1t about them sounding weak after the audio track had been remastered.
They were pure works of art. I think I read somewhere about them being recorded in old gravel pits to get the ricochet effects.

I know that my every desire in life cannot be fulfilled but I reckon I share the views of many people and it would be staying in line with what the Boss originally intended.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #1 : February 10, 2012, 02:19:29 AM »

They sound weak in those superfluous 5.1 sound.

The only correct audio is the mono one, and for that nobody needs to tinker with the gunshots. The scandal is that the original mono sound isn't on the discs.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : February 10, 2012, 05:18:57 AM »

agreed, it was idiocy. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3 : February 10, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »

I agree with other posters here that the extra scenes should have been optional, as in you could have chosen to watch them within the film or as extras.
Seamless branching would be desirable if feasible. Failing that, we need to have two cuts of the film available: the longer one, which we can watch with the Italian dub, and the shorter one with the original English (and effects) dubbing. Criterion?

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #4 : February 10, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

Find the original English GBU DVD, one disc, with the original audio track.  The other scenes are included on that disc in Italian, and can have English subtitles.   These are likely still available new, for under $10.

I have that, and the 2-disc set.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

« #5 : February 11, 2012, 03:48:48 AM »

Yeah, I need to do a Cusser and get that previous one-disc version too.
Problem is I have ordered it twice on eBay and both times the seller sent me a different edition. So, they show a stock photo of the correct one but send another that does not have the extra scenes.
I got refunds both times but it kind of puts you off.

I'll get it one day, then I can watch one of my favourite films as I always enjoyed it in all its splendour (and then watch the extras separately)

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines