Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 03:26:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Academy Awards: Best Picture
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Academy Awards: Best Picture  ( 1052 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #15 : May 01, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »

One word: Cuaron!

I can't really comment since I've only seen "Y Tu Mamá También" and that was a long time ago when it came out.

Given del Toro's bent for fantasy which I don't really appreciate, Larraín and Iñárritu are really two of the best in the industry right now IMO

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #16 : May 02, 2018, 01:39:10 AM »

I also thought the two Godfather movies were universally loved/respected here, guess I was wrong.

Well, they are, but luckily that does not mean that everybody loves them.

And for the other Oscar winners, it would be of course easier to despise such a commercial award if all winners, and even better if also all of the nominations, were the kind of lukewarm message films made by talented directors without a real vision, but unfortunately the mean thing with the Oscar is that they sometimes awarded the right film.
But luckily also sometimes the real mediocre big budget film which should win every year.

All in all many Oscar winners are 6/10 film, which is enough compromise to make everyone happy who is not a real film fanatic.

In the last years with NCfOM and Birdman 2 excellent films won the Oscar, and there were some more great films which got some nominations.

For me the worst film which ever won are Ben Hur (3/10), Ghandi (2/10) and the third LotR film (about 2/10). All 3 are pretty boring and therefore hard to sit through. And mostly badly directed (with the notable exception of the Ben Hur cart chase)

« : May 02, 2018, 01:50:28 AM stanton »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17 : May 02, 2018, 05:59:34 AM »

Power you think junk like American Beauty is a 9 but Unforgiven and Casablanca are 7's and The French Connection is a 6...come on.
Oh, yeah!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18 : May 02, 2018, 06:16:32 AM »

For me the worst film which ever won are Ben Hur (3/10), Ghandi (2/10) and the third LotR film (about 2/10). All 3 are pretty boring and therefore hard to sit through. And mostly badly directed (with the notable exception of the Ben Hur cart chase)

The third LoTR has a lot of unchallenged epic battles to this day. It isn't a good movie by any mean but brushing it aside as a badly directed piece of crap is wrong.

I stand behind most of the rest of your post though :)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19 : May 02, 2018, 06:20:11 AM »

I can't really comment since I've only seen "Y Tu Mamá También" and that was a long time ago when it came out.

Given del Toro's bent for fantasy which I don't really appreciate, Larraín and Iñárritu are really two of the best in the industry right now IMO

Don't waste time on Cuaron's Harry Potter, and I know I'm the only one here to get how groundbreaking and masterful "Gravity, an IMAX 3D adventure" is but you haven't seen Children of Men? I think you'll love it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20 : May 02, 2018, 06:26:29 AM »

The third LoTR has a lot of unchallenged epic battles to this day. It isn't a good movie by any mean but brushing it aside as a badly directed piece of crap is wrong.

I stand behind most of the rest of your post though :)

I generally don't like how Jackson directs. Not in the LotR films, not in his 2 films about young girls, not in his slasher films. But Braindead is despite his directing flaws a fine film. And great fun. 8/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #21 : May 02, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »

I don’t either, he has a thing for cheesy cinematography and kitsch that I cannot stand. Still, he has moments of brilliance in TLotR as well as in King Kong. Usually he really shines in epic scenes, although King Kong has that great horror sequence where they’re fighting bugs, no music, just disgusting sound design.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #22 : May 02, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »

I can't remember anything good in King Kong. A really awful film through and through. Jackson even managed it to do the impossible: to get a weak performance out of Naomi Watts.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #23 : May 02, 2018, 10:32:31 PM »

At least we can agree on Peter Jackson.

The Frighteners is his best movie.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #24 : May 03, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »

At least we can agree on Peter Jackson.

The Frighteners is his best movie.

It's quite ok. Braindead is far superior.

Meet the Feebles was less good than expected, and Bad Taste was extremely boring. A real amateur production, with all the downsides of such an extreme low budget film, and none of the merits.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #25 : May 03, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »

I know I'm the only one here to get how groundbreaking and masterful "Gravity, an IMAX 3D adventure" is
You're also the only one to get the hidden meaning in "Disneyland's Space Mountain, a real-time kinetic event." Life can be wonderful when expectations are so low.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #26 : May 03, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »

You're also the only one to get the hidden meaning in "Disneyland's Space Mountain, a real-time kinetic event."

Of course I was the only one. The Disneyland Paris Space Moutain was adapted from Jules Verne's universe. Unfortunately, they recently changed it to Star Wars and lost all the charm of the ride. AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE NEW STAR TOUR.

« : May 03, 2018, 04:01:45 PM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #27 : May 04, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »

Don't waste time on Cuaron's Harry Potter, and I know I'm the only one here to get how groundbreaking and masterful "Gravity, an IMAX 3D adventure" is but you haven't seen Children of Men? I think you'll love it.

Emmanuel Lubezki's involvement certainly makes it tempting

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #28 : May 04, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »

It features some of the best cinematography of the new century. It isn’t Lubezki’s most refined work but it’s by far it’s more powerful one. Plenty of extended shots, including what is probably the best ever (yet).

I’m in love with the script too.

www.ThibautOskian.com
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines