Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2020, 04:07:18 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Detour (1945)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: Detour (1945)  ( 9225 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #30 : December 03, 2018, 02:56:17 PM »

That restoration job looks amazing. I might be alone here but Detour is the ultimate written in 4 days and shot in 3 days cheapjack movie. One of the best B movies ever and the single best of the poverty row era. Decoy (1946) is up there too.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #31 : December 17, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »

March: https://www.criterion.com/films/29614-detour?

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #32 : December 17, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »

Perhaps the most overrated movie ever.

It's not bad - it belongs on the list of decent, cheap noirs, around a 7/10 or 7.5/10. It is not a great film.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #33 : March 22, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6257-some-detours-to-detour

This cinematic staging of Al Roberts’s steadily more suspect story is, I submit, the signal achievement of Detour. In The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film, his book of interviews with the great sound and film editor, Michael Ondaatje focuses on two styles of filmmaking—the first, associated with Alfred Hitchcock, where “a film is already complete in the creator’s head”; the second, associated with Francis Ford Coppola, “that thrives on process, where one choreographs and invents and gathers during the process of filmmaking.” The surviving documentation suggests that Detour is a dazzling instance of the process type. The vision of the film remained inchoate right until the last possible transactions of the filmmaking operation. The ambiguous design was finally accomplished by stripping away characters and alternate viewpoints that had survived into the final shooting script, and beyond. The determination to lock the film fully inside Roberts’s disturbed consciousness emerged late, on set or during editing.

« : March 22, 2019, 10:55:25 AM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #34 : March 22, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »

thanks

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #35 : March 25, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »

I watched this for the first time, it was the Criterion Channel's weekly movie - their new restoration.

The restoration was excellent, very impressive (I had seen clips of this from public domain DVDs and it looked and sounded like garbage).

I wasn't a fan of the movie though. it's a short runtime which is great, stylistically not bad, but the story is really dumb.

The main character, to be honest, is a fucking idiot to think that the cops wouldn't believe him that he didn't murder the other man. Just tell them the story. Show them the drugs he was taking. Why risk everything by lying and covering up a non-murder?

And it's really far fetched that the hitchhiking girl recognized the guy's car. And she was a very annoying actress.

Not recommended unless for noir aficionados.

EDIT: Wow, looks like I HAVE seen the whole thing, considering this thread starts with my review. Goes to show how forgettable it is. Man, younger me was stupid to give this a 6/7. This movie stinks.

« : March 25, 2019, 09:10:10 AM PowerRR »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #36 : March 25, 2019, 12:54:00 PM »

EDIT: Wow, looks like I HAVE seen the whole thing, considering this thread starts with my review. Goes to show how forgettable it is. Man, younger me was stupid to give this a 6/7. This movie stinks.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #37 : May 23, 2020, 01:39:12 PM »

C o l o r i z e d! https://ok.ru/video/1635086568176

« : May 23, 2020, 01:41:44 PM dave jenkins »

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines