Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 11:40:31 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Electronics/Technical Discussion/Device Advice/Gadget News
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 6
: Electronics/Technical Discussion/Device Advice/Gadget News  ( 14158 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« : February 22, 2012, 01:54:13 AM »

So I am (finally!) thinking about purchasing a blu-ray player.

I am more than happy to spend the $, considering that I have seen blu-ray players online for very cheap (as little as $70 or so). But I have heard that the difference in picture quality is generally more noticeable when you're watching the movie on a larger tv, and my tv is on the smaller side -- 22 inches.

So I am just wondering:

a) Will I see a very noticeable difference between the picture quality of a dvd vs. the picture quality of a blu-ray disc, making it worthwhile for me to buy the blu-ray player?

b) IF you do think I should buy the blu-ray player, do you recommend that i spend more on a specific brand(s), or will the quality be pretty much the same even if I buy a cheaper brand, considering the size of my tv?

I see Best Buy is offering a Sony and a Samsung for $80... would that be fine?

c) should I buy one that is region-free? (I'm generally not that into foreign movies and don't imagine really needing a region free player -- but I am thinking about it now cuz when reading about the upcoming release of the extended version of OUATIA, I see it says that Leone's kids have bought "the Italian rights" to the film -- so I am wondering if that means it will not be released on Region 1).

Thanks!  :)

« : December 11, 2013, 05:54:43 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #1 : February 22, 2012, 06:01:30 AM »

a) Will I see a very noticeable difference between the picture quality of a dvd vs. the picture quality of a blu-ray disc, making it worthwhile for me to buy the blu-ray player?
If all you're doing is getting a player, and not upgrading your display, then the answer is proabably No. Most pre-HD screens couldn't take advantage of all the informantion on DVDs, never mind BR discs. Improved picture quality is a function of both signal output AND a compatible display (1080p is best, but if you have to settle for a smaller screen--under 42"--you'll probably find that 720p is adequate).

Here's the good news. With a new screen and a player that upscales your DVDs, you'll notice a huge improvement even in the playback of your DVDs. My DVD collection is, of course, much more substantial than my BR one, so I spend most of my viewing time watching DVDs played through my BR player. I'm constantly amazed by what I see. In some cases, I don't worry about upgrading discs, because the DVDs already look so good.

Happy shopping!

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #2 : February 23, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

so is it worth getting a blu ray player for a 22-inch hdtv? or is that size screen too small for me to see a difference vs. a dvd?

« : February 23, 2012, 06:04:33 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #3 : February 24, 2012, 03:36:58 AM »

It used to be said that 28" was the minimum size of screen to notice any significant differences.

However my computer screen is 19" and I can certainly notice a difference if I play a 1920 x 1080 video clip on it compared to one of a lower resolution.

Has your TV got an HDMI input and what resolutions can it handle?  Blu-ray players are getting so cheap it's hardly worth think deeply about. Some Blu-rays have facilities and features not found on DVDs, the regional coding system is voluntary and many Blu-rays are not region locked.  Of course you may in the future get a large screen TV.

Happy shopping.

This is my tv http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL22BX300/13812459 (SONY 22"LCD  720p HDTV 60Hz). It has an HDMI input.

I see Best Buy has blu ray players (eg. SONY, SAMSUNG, TOSHIBA) for about $80 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17071&type=page&initialize=false&sp=&nrp=15&iht=y&list=n&sc=Global&st=blu+ray+player&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&prids=&cp=2&qp=&_requestid=70783

So assuming that I will be using my current tv for the foreseeable future, do you think that if I buy the blu ray player and start using blu ray discs instead of dvd's, I will see a real improvement in the picture quality?

Thanks  O0

« : February 24, 2012, 03:40:45 AM drinkanddestroy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #4 : February 24, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »

It used to be said that 28" was the minimum size of screen to notice any significant differences.

However my computer screen is 19" and I can certainly notice a difference if I play a 1920 x 1080 video clip on it compared to one of a lower resolution.
Good point, although, with computer screens, you're usually sitting pretty close. Another variable is how close you are willing to sit to your screen. The further you want to be able to sit away, the larger the screen you'll need to notice improved resolution.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #5 : March 06, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »

alright, I have decided that I am indeed going to buy a blu ray player; I am going to get one of these 5 that I have linked to below. Each has its features listed on  its page; please lemme know which is the best (I am technologically ignorant so I don't know the difference, but I'm hoping you geniuses will be able to understand which has the best features and lemme know  :) ).  But Please only consider which is best for playing blu ray DISCS; don't consider the wifi capabilities, as I do not plan on using the player for it for any wifi stuff.

THANKS SO MUCH!  O0

1) SAMSUNG: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Blu-ray+Player/2965171.p?id=1218368053173&skuId=2965171&st=blu%20ray%20player&cp=1&lp=14

2) SONY: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Blu-ray+Player/3590113.p?id=1218420286847&skuId=3590113&st=blu%20ray%20player&cp=2&lp=1

3) TOSHIBA: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Wi-Fi+Ready+Blu-ray+Player/2945870.p?id=1218380598546&skuId=2945870&st=blu%20ray%20player&cp=2&lp=4

4) DYNEX: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+Wi-Fi+Built-in+Blu-ray+Player/2333036.p?id=1218322059018&skuId=2333036&st=blu%20ray%20player&cp=2&lp=6

5) LG: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+Blu-ray+Player/4833486.p?skuId=4833486&id=1218551143311

(btw, my tv is 720, and some of these blu ray players say they have 1080 output, but I guess that just means that my tv will not be able to provide the full quality offered by the blu ray player, but it won't hurt it, right?)

« : March 06, 2012, 09:04:31 PM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #6 : March 08, 2012, 05:13:50 AM »

Sometimes the Blu-ray discs remind you to update your machine to make use of all the features on the disc but none of my machines have ever prompted me. My personal view is that some of these features are not worth having and just slow down the loading of discs. 

I usually check once every 6 months or so to see if I need an update.

i only plan on using the blu ray player for watching discs, not for anything related to the internet (like streaming services). So is it still necessary to install the updates when prompted, or should i not even bother?

Thanks!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #7 : March 24, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »

Fuck this new "energy saving" shit.

If I am playing the disc and then decide to pause it, once it is paused for about 5 minutes or so (I never timed it exactly), it shuts off and I have to start it up again. Fucking new "energy efficiency" nonsense. (Since I frequently pause movies for long periods of time) and considering that I therefore have to continuously start it up again from scratch, it probably ends up using more energy cuz starting it up probably uses more than when it is playing or on pause. Unfuckingbelievable. I know some Green idiots believe Energy Saving is always good in all circumstances all the time, but shouldn't they give us  the option to remove the energy saving nonsense? I can't say I've looked through the menu 100%, but I have not seen that option yet. I am just gonna return this SONY and exchange it for a SAMSUNG that is the same price and is not "energy star qualified"

It is unfuckingbelievable how, despite all the advances in technology, much we have regressed so much due to self-inflicted bullshit by the Green idiots. In this case, his "energy star" thing on the blu ray player is most likely a feature put on there by SONY and not a regulation, but this is part of the same Green bullshit.

I am so pissed off because -- this may seem like a whole different subject, but it's all related -- ust got a new washing machine, and it doesn't even fill with water when rinsing: some new regulation bullshit. needless to say, this stuff usually has the opposite effect: i often end up using an extra rinse cuz one rinse is not enuf cuz the water is so low, just as i flush the topilet more frequently cuz the water level is so much lower, by congressional mandate, so I end up using more water than I would if the market would be allowed to decide water levels, rather than politicians. Just as I use more energy with this Energy Saver cuz I click to play/pause more often to make sure the "pause timer" starts later.

Since when does winning an election mean our toilets and washing machines and light bulbs and electronics and cars is your business? Can't you stick to your constitutionally-mandated powers and leave us alone to run our own lives in regard to everything else?

I often pause movies for long periods (eg. to post something about it on this board). Now, when I do so, every couple of minutes I make sure to click Play and then re-pause it, to re-start the "pause timer" so that it won't shut off so soon.

sorry for the rant... This issue (just in case you couldn't tell) infuriates me as almost no other  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

;)  ;) ;) ;)

anyway, I am just gonna switch this SONY for a new SAMSUNG that costs the same and doesn't have the energy star crap -- so watching a movie will be fun rather than agitating  ;) ;)

« : March 25, 2012, 02:03:06 AM drinkanddestroy »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #8 : March 25, 2012, 02:01:46 AM »

That's strange.

My old DVD Player memorizes the last 10 DVDs and starts them at the same point where I stopped them. Even weeks later.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #9 : March 25, 2012, 02:12:35 AM »

this is the SONY  that I currently have http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Blu-ray+Player/2965171.p?id=1218368053173&skuId=2965171&st=blu%20ray%20player&cp=1&lp=14

and I am gonna exchange it for this SAMSUNG http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Blu-ray+Player/2965171.p?id=1218368053173&skuId=2965171&st=blu%20ray%20player&cp=1&lp=14

unless there is some particular reason why anyone can tell me the features on the SONY are really better (I only use the BRP fopr playing discs, so son't consider any of the other features like playing movies in other formats, or internet connectivity etc.)

I assume the two are basically the same, except that the SONY is Energy Star Qualified and the SAMSUNG is not. so i am gonna switch it.

on my dvd player (which is also a SAMSUNG, btw), once it's paused for about 5 minutes, it starts playing again automatically -- slightly annoying, but it's no big deal, cuz when i walki back into the room and see it playing, i just rewind to the spot where i had stopped watching. alternatively, instead of hitting Pause, i can just hut Stop, and then begin watching it in the same spot.

But on this SONY BRP, when I click STOP, I cannot then click PLay and co stopping it and continue watching it in the same spot; rather, once I click Stop, and then I click Play again, it brings me back to the main menu , ie. the one with the options of "PLAY, CHAPTERS, SPECIAL FEATURES," etc. so once I click Stop, when I wanna re-start I have to go back to the beginning of the movie, and then forward it to the spot where I was.

I can't say for 100% sure whether or not that has anything to do with the Energy Star stuff or not, and  whether or not the SAMSUNG works the same way. But I figure it can't hurt to exchange it and hope the SAMSUNG is indeed better

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : March 25, 2012, 02:52:08 AM »

Can they demonstrate the Samsung to you before you do the switch so you can make sure.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #11 : March 25, 2012, 04:18:45 AM »

Can they demonstrate the Samsung to you before you do the switch so you can make sure.

good point, cj. Thanks for the suggestion  O0
I ordered the SONY online (through Best Buy) but I think I am gonna make this exchange in the store -- there is a Best Buy half a mile from me --  so that there are (hopefully!) no surprises.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #12 : March 25, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

Weird -- after the disc went into standby mode yet again after too long a pause, I decided to hit the "Pop Up/Menu" button on the remote, and the disc started playing again! (But if I hit "Play," nothing happened). So maybe, after all, the discs do play even after a long pause: just not  by hitting "Play." Weird shit, I'll have to test it out on some other discs first. (This one was a Universal disc, and in various ways worked differently than other discs; heck, it opened with a standard message about how since Blu Ray is a nre format, not every feature works with every disc, etc. So maybe I just gotta try out a few discs and see whether it ain't such a problem after all....

p.s. whether or not this BRP issue really is an issue, I fully stand by my previous rant about gov't-mandated "energy efficiency." It's a sad state of affairs  >:(

« : March 25, 2012, 06:55:57 AM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #13 : March 28, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

I wanna put some blu-ray discs in my Netflix queue... can you recommend some great blu rays?

« : December 11, 2013, 05:55:41 AM drinkanddestroy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #14 : March 29, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »

The Comancheros (1961) looks superb on Blu.

: [1] 2 3 ... 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines