Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:53:57 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  DJ and D&D Go to the Symphony
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
: DJ and D&D Go to the Symphony  ( 37720 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #120 : March 25, 2022, 10:49:37 AM »

The weird thing is that I've met you twice, Drink, and I've never thought you looked like a Karen.

« : March 28, 2022, 01:33:18 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #121 : March 25, 2022, 06:14:44 PM »

The weird thing is that I've met you twice, Drink, and I've never thought you look like a Karen.
I never thought you looked like a Roy, but apparently I was wrong.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #122 : March 28, 2022, 01:33:42 AM »

Seems that looks are deceiving, after all.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #123 : October 20, 2022, 10:15:04 AM »

Today its not only d&d and DJ, but also CJ, n_l, and Austin Power. And we?re not going to symphony but going to Coney Island in winter and then McSorley?s. Stay tuned ?.

« : October 20, 2022, 11:00:55 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #124 : October 20, 2022, 09:29:26 PM »

Today its not only d&d and DJ, but also CJ, n_l, and Austin Power. And we?re not going to symphony but going to Coney Island in winter and then McSorley?s. Stay tuned ?.

Short story is dj watched a movie alone while cj, Power and I watched n_l film movie clips in Coney Island. Then we all drank at McSorley?s and other pubs.

They?ll fill in the long story?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #125 : January 30, 2024, 10:28:43 AM »

Perfect for n_l: Introducing .... Woke Carmen!

https://www.metopera.org/season/in-cinemas/2023-24-season/carmen/#:~:text=On%20January%2027%2C%20acclaimed%20English,be%20more%20relevant%20today%3A%20gendered

"Carrie Cracknell brings a vital new production of one of opera?s most enduringly powerful works, reinvigorating the classic story with a staging that moves the action to the modern day and finds at the heart of the drama issues that could not be more relevant today: gendered violence, abusive labor structures, and the desire to break through societal boundaries."  >:D

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #126 : January 30, 2024, 11:43:41 AM »

Why don't you actually go to a performance instead of just reading about it?

Mrs. J and I went back on January 3rd, and really, really enjoyed it. The Times published a review on Jan. 4th of the opening night performance on New Year's Eve. Mr. Zacharay Woolfe didn't like the production, but he had to admit some of the performances were good.
The only truly impressive aspect of this ?Carmen? is its Carmen: the 27-year-old mezzo-soprano Aigul Akhmetshina, in turquoise cowboy boots. Though this icon of the repertory is her first leading role at the Met, she seems unfazed by the pressure, singing with easily penetrating evenness and clarity, never needing to push. Her molten yet agile tone can be confiding one moment and extroverted the next, and she moves with magnetic naturalness onstage.

He had good things to say about the orchestra too.

The conductor Daniele Rustioni kept to moderate, well-judged tempos, and the train always stayed firmly on the tracks, including precise work by the chorus ? although that came at the expense of ferocity and sensuality. In the preludes to the third and fourth acts were glimpses of a wilder, more expansive and more beautiful vision of Bizet?s score.

It would have been nice if he'd expanded on this more. The night we went, we were exceedingly impressed by the orchestra. Indeed, there was some featured harp playing in the prelude to Act Three that sounded like guitar that was amazing. I am sure there were many similar examples that Mr. Woolfe could have highlighted, had he chosen to.

Mr. Woolfe's review is 17 paragraphs long; only 4 paragraphs are devoted to the music. Most of what he writes about are his objections to the production's visual conceits. But the music is the important thing. Anyone who doesn't like the staging can simply close their eyes and enjoy the performances.

That Times article got a bit of online pushback, and one comment came from someone calling herself "New Moon."
I would like to add a response from a real audience member. I saw the Jan. 3rd performance, and my response is very different from the critic?s one. As a whole, I and the audience about me enjoyed the performance, which both engaged and moved us. During the solo of Mica?la by Angel Blue in Act 3, I came close to bursting into real tears. Others in the audience seemed to share my enthusiasm; after the solo ended, the clapping continued for an extended period, forcing a pause in the performance. Honestly speaking, the staging for Act 1 was off-putting and during it I fought a strong temptation to stand up and leave. But with the amazing design in Act 2 I was completely won over, and the stagings in Acts 3 and 4 were also effective. In the last scene, it was obvious that the entire audience had been affected by the production. The standing ovation at the end was not the usual New-York-audience-going-through-the-motions curtain call. That was, I felt, an expression of true admiration. This Carmen was not what I expected. However, in the end I completely agreed with this new direction [. . .]. Of course, this is not the only or even necessarily the best approach for a production of Carmen. But this Carmen is a valuable effort, and I was truly moved by it.
I couldn't agree with Ms. Moon more, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I sleep with her.

I'll admit the staging for Act One was rather ugly. But Acts Two, Three, and Four were visually impressive. This, added together with the well-performed music, made our night at the opera a tremendously exciting one. You should see for yourself (you know, you could take your missus!).

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines