Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:33:50 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Electronics/Technical Discussion/Device Advice/Gadget News
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
: Electronics/Technical Discussion/Device Advice/Gadget News  ( 28005 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #30 : July 25, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

(I once accidentally left my friend's copy of Metallica's cd "Kill 'em All" -- that's the one with the song "Seek and Destroy"  ;) -- in my cd player on pause, and then left my house to go to the park and play football, and came back 8 hours later, and it was still spinning on pause! I told him to let me know if he had any problems; but Thank God he never did :)

Probably not good for the player, but ti shouldn't be a problem for the CD/DVD as the laser does not touch the disc.

I rarely use the pause button. It wasn't good for VHS cassettes and maybe I'm still used to it even if it is not a problem for DVDs.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #31 : April 03, 2013, 09:11:17 PM »

there's been speculation for a while that Apple will be releasing a TV; according to a tech/financial analyst named Brian White, "who has reported accurate details about unannounced Apple products in the past," it is finally coming, at the end of 2013.
 It is expected to be 50-60 inches, and cost $1,500 - $2,500. The tv -- which will of course be called the iTV -- will also come with some "mini TV's" that are 9.7 inches (same size as an iPad, but they will not be a replacement for the iPad), and many of the remote functions will be replaced by a ring device worn around the viewers's finger, called an iRing.

Finally, there have also been rumors of a new Apple wristwatch product called an iWatch that may replace some functions of the iPhone and iPad; the same analyst says that not only will the iRing interact with the iTV, but so will the the iWatch

Here are two articles on the iTV:

http://bgr.com/2013/04/03/apple-itv-release-date-topeka-412049/?utm_source=b-yahoo-orig_pub&utm_medium=feed

http://www.usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2013/04/03/analyst-60-inch-apple-itv-to-launch-this-year

and here are two of the many articles that have recently appeared about the rumored iWatch

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-04/apple-s-planned-iwatch-could-be-more-profitable-than-tv.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57572404-37/an-anxious-planet-awaits-apples-iwatch-or-iwhatever/

As always, Apple refuses to comment on any of this; the company is known to be secretive about upcoming products until they are about to be launched.

« : December 10, 2013, 01:03:07 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #32 : November 26, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »

there's been speculation for a while that Apple will be releasing a TV; according to a tech/financial analyst named Brian White, "who has reported accurate details about unannounced Apple products in the past," it is finally coming, at the end of 2013.
 It is expected to be 50-60 inches, and cost $1,500 - $2,500. The tv -- which will of course be called the iTV -- will also come with some "mini TV's" that are 9.7 inches (same size as an iPad, but they will not be a replacement for the iPad), and many of the remote functions will be replaced by a ring device worn around the viewers's finger, called an iRing.

Finally, there have also been rumors of a new Apple wristwatch product called an iWatch that may replace some functions of the iPhone and iPad; the same analyst says that not only will the iRing interact with the iTV, but so will the the iWatch

Here are two articles on the iTV:

http://bgr.com/2013/04/03/apple-itv-release-date-topeka-412049/?utm_source=b-yahoo-orig_pub&utm_medium=feed

http://www.usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2013/04/03/analyst-60-inch-apple-itv-to-launch-this-year

and here are two of the many articles that have recently appeared about the rumored iWatch

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-04/apple-s-planned-iwatch-could-be-more-profitable-than-tv.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57572404-37/an-anxious-planet-awaits-apples-iwatch-or-iwhatever/

As always, Apple refuses to comment on any of this; the company is known to be secretive about upcoming products until they are about to be launched.

No iTV or iWatch before 2014. We've been earing about them since before Job's death, but nothing very concrete so far. Tim Cooks talked about new categories of products coming in the next few years so the best guess would be to expect something in 2014. Also, Samsung just launched its own iWatch and it's satisfying most owners (although I don't see that product gaining popular traction as is) so Apple shouldn't be too long now. Last, Apple did update many of its products since this summer (iPad, iPad Mini, the whole iPod line, 2 iPhones, MacBooks...) but didn't do anything about its Apple TV. It could mean than the iTV is really around the corner.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #33 : November 28, 2013, 06:17:14 AM »

No iTV or iWatch before 2014. We've been earing about them since before Job's death, but nothing very concrete so far. Tim Cooks talked about new categories of products coming in the next few years so the best guess would be to expect something in 2014. Also, Samsung just launched its own iWatch and it's satisfying most owners (although I don't see that product gaining popular traction as is) so Apple shouldn't be too long now. Last, Apple did update many of its products since this summer (iPad, iPad Mini, the whole iPod line, 2 iPhones, MacBooks...) but didn't do anything about its Apple TV. It could mean than the iTV is really around the corner.

I would be more interested in a watch that can substitute for a phone (just calls and texts) rather than be an accessory to the phone. So you have to have the phone in your pocket and then wear the watch. If there's a watch that would allow you to leave your phone at home, that could be useful. For example, say you're going jogging or playing ball and don't wanna have the phone jumping around in your pocket but are expecting an important call, you could just wear the watch. And if they could make it an iPod as well, that would be awesome.

Everyone is concerned about the fact that Apple hasn't released any new products since Jobs died. The stock has gone way down (although Apple's market capitalization is still highest of any company in the world). Can Apple remain a major force in the tech world by simply issuing new versions of its gadgets rather than inventing new ones? Samsung's made it pretty far just by doing that...

« : December 11, 2013, 05:56:47 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #34 : November 28, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »

I would be more interested in a watch that can substitute for a phone (just calls and texts) rather than be an accessory to the phone. So you have to have the phone in your pocket and then wear the watch. If there's a watch that would allow you to leave your phone at home, that could be useful. For example, say you're going jogging or playing ball and don't wanna have the phone jumping around in your pocket but are expecting an important call, you could just wear the watch. And if they could make it an iPod as well, that would be awesome.

I think that's what we'll have in a decade. Any computer/phone/tablet/glasses/watch will be nothing but an interactive (touch, voice, air, whatever) screen linked to your account in the clouds. No internal cumputing or OS. So far, the samsung smartwatch has to be able to find your phone within 200 meters. That means you can go in the garden or move around your house without worrying about your phone, so that's a start.

Everyone is concerned about the fact that Apple hasn't released any new products since Jobs died. The stock has gone way down (although Apple's market capitalization is still highest of any company in the world). Can Apple remain a major force in the tech world by simply issuing new versions of its gadgets rather than inventing new ones? Samsung's made it pretty far just by doing that...

The stock also reached historical levels long after Jobs' death. Almost every product launch since then has been the "best iPhone/iPad launch ever", which is not as impressive when you know that the markets are growing, but Apple's marketshares are decreasing. Anyway, Apple has been the king for a decade, just like Microsoft was between 1995 and the early 2000's, and it's not the kind of sector where anyobody can stay on top very long.

Samsung is going very well by doing what you say, but they've got a very different strategy and organisation. If Apple wants to be the new Samsung, they'll have to reformate the whole company from its structure to its image. They're based on little transversal teams and very very few products. When ONE major product (and half of their products are major products) isn't a huge hit, the company dies.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #35 : December 10, 2013, 01:09:18 AM »

I'm thinking about getting a 40 inch, LED tv. (I see lots of deals on different brands, but I only wanna get a great brand.)

I currently own an LG, which I am very happy with. I previously owned a Sony, which I was also very happy with. And I know that Samsung is an awesome company in general. So right now, I would consider getting an LG, Samsung, or Sony. Are there any other companies that are great for LED tv's that I should consider?
What about Toshiba?

Thanks   ;)

« : December 11, 2013, 05:56:37 AM drinkanddestroy »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #36 : December 10, 2013, 02:43:44 AM »

Buy a bigger TV if you have enough money and enough room.

At the moment I still would recommend a plasma TV for guys who mainly watch films. My 42" Panasonic is excellent. I only wished I had bought a bigger one.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #37 : December 10, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »

When I sit in front of the tv, I am 7 feet away from the screen.... Is that too close to sit for a 50-inch screen?

« : December 11, 2013, 05:56:24 AM drinkanddestroy »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #38 : December 11, 2013, 02:36:49 AM »

Where do you sit in a cinema?

front?

middle?

back?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #39 : December 11, 2013, 03:23:35 AM »

when I am in a theater that has stadium seating, I generally like to sit in one the last rows, in the middle. My perfect seat is, say, 3-5 rows from the back, right on the middle of the row.

I always like to go to the multiplex that has stadium seating. But if I am in a theater with flat chairs, then it depends on how big the screen is (eg. in Film Forum the screen is so small that it sucks to sit in back)

as far as TV's are concerned, I know that the bigger the screen is, the further away you have to sit from it; if you're too close to a huge screen, you won't be able to see as well. My current tv is 32" - I hope to buy a bigger one in about a month, so I'm taking my time now to try to find a perfect LED.
So I actually measured the distance from my eyes to the screen, and it is 7 feet (2.13 meters)... The 40" would be definitely be good from that distance... You think the bigger sizes would be good as well? what is the biggest size screen that I can see perfectly from 7 feet away?

« : December 11, 2013, 05:56:14 AM drinkanddestroy »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #40 : December 11, 2013, 05:08:40 AM »

Well, in a cinema I always sit in the first third of the theatre. It depends with whom I'm watching a film how close I get to the screen. In former years, when the screen wasn't as close to the first row as it is now, we mostly sat in the first row. In the modern theatres the 4th or 5th row is mostly perfect. Why shouldn't I make the screen before me as big as possible? If in my field of view I can't see the edges of the screen, and the view towards the screen isn't distorted (which it sometimes is in the first row or if you sit in front at the sides), than it is perfect.

Same for a TV. There are no rules how close you can sit to it. If one likes it big, make it as big as money and space allows it.

Why not give the screen a chance to suck you in?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #41 : December 11, 2013, 05:54:26 AM »

in a theater, if you sit in one of the very front rows, I'd imagine you'd have to look up and crane your neck. I don't know, I never tried it. There was a Seinfeld episode about that, where they get stuck in the front row of a theater and have to watch the whole movie looking up. I don't know, I never tried. I like to see the whole screen, straight on, so my seats near the back in middle are perfect... I don't know if you watch in a flat theater or stadium seating, but again, I'm talking about stadium seating, so sitting in back is very different than sitting in back of a flat theater.

Anyway, RE; my tv: of course, I like to have the biggest screen possible. But I have to be sure I'll be able to see it well. If you're one foot away from the screen, you won't see very well unless it's a tiny screen. If you're two or three feet away, you still won't see very well, unless it's a pretty small screen. The bigger the screen, the further you have to be in order to see well. I don't mean you have to be way in back of the room. But I have a small bedroom so I just wanna make sure I don't get a screen that'll be to big for the distance I am watching it at. Anyway, I was just asking in case anyone knew offhand, like if they'd tried it at a similar distance, but it's really not that big a deal. When I go to the store to buy the tv, which I hope to do sometime in January, I'll check it out there. I won't buy anything unless I'm sure it'll be good  :)

« : December 11, 2013, 05:55:57 AM drinkanddestroy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #42 : December 11, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »

For me, it always depends on how the seats rise the further you get away from the screen. I don't like looking up at the screen, I prefer a slightly downward viewing angle, so I tend to pick a seat that is as close to the front as I can get without having to crane my neck to see. In many NYC theaters, that means getting a seat about dead middle, but in suburban mega-plexes I can usually sit closer.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #43 : December 11, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »

For me, it always depends on how the seats rise the further you get away from the screen. I don't like looking up at the screen, I prefer a slightly downward viewing angle, so I tend to pick a seat that is as close to the front as I can get without having to crane my neck to see. In many NYC theaters, that means getting a seat about dead middle, but in suburban mega-plexes I can usually sit closer.

yeah, I don't really know jack about the suburbs, but I figure the theaters in the suburban multiplexes are bigger than those in the Manhattan multiplexes; so maybe when you sit at the middle of those theaters, you're the same distance from the screen as I am when I sit in back of the Manhattan theaters.

I actually went to the multiplex in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn once,  I think that has the biggest screen I've ever seen (even bigger than the AMC on 34th St. bet 8th & 9th, which is the biggest I've seen in Manhattan) - and the theater was bigger than any in Manhattan. (It was opening day of a popular movie so they gave it their biggest theater) but I felt that the screen was pulled farther back than in other theaters (maybe cuz there was a large floor section of seats); so I sat in the third row up, and it was great... So yeah, I guess it's impossible to compare because theaters are all so different

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #44 : December 11, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »

Drink, try to sit in the first third of a cinema. Maybe you like it

: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines