Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 09:57:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  High Sierra (1941)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Sierra (1941)  (Read 3400 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033717/

High Sierra (1941)

Cast, courtesy of imdb:

Ida Lupino    ...   Marie
    Humphrey Bogart    ...   Roy Earle
    Alan Curtis    ...   'Babe'
    Arthur Kennedy    ...   'Red'
    Joan Leslie    ...   Velma
    Henry Hull    ...   'Doc' Banton
    Henry Travers    ...   Pa
    Jerome Cowan    ...   Healy
    Minna Gombell    ...   Mrs. Baughmam
    Barton MacLane    ...   Jake Kranmer
    Elisabeth Risdon    ...   Ma (as Elizabeth Risdon)
    Cornel Wilde    ...   Louis Mendoza
    Donald MacBride    ...   Big Mac
    Paul Harvey    ...   Mr. Baughmam
    Isabel Jewell    ...   Blonde

I give this a 7/10

This was Bogart's first "leading" role, though top billing went to Ida Lupino; it would be the last time Bogart did not get top billing. Joan Leslie is beautiful as a teenager in her first major role.

I've always believed that Bogie wasn't as good a gangster, as he was later in his career once he became a leading man and started getting big non-gangster roles.

The dvd has an interesting 15-minute documentary on the making of the movie.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:26:43 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:51:55 AM »

Not really very "noir" either I'll go 7/10, I like its remake as a Western Colorado Territory with Joel McCrea better : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041253/

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:21 AM »

Not really very "noir" either

cj, you are the one who officially decides "what is a noir" around here. I didn't create the index.
 Indeed, there ain't nuthin noir about High Sierra. Just like there ain't nuthin noir about Ace in the Hole. I don't care how many Books or Lists say they are noirs.  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »

cj, you are the one who officially decides "what is a noir" around here. I didn't create the index.
 Indeed, there ain't nuthin noir about High Sierra. Just like there ain't nuthin noir about Ace in the Hole. I don't care how many Books or Lists say they are noirs.  Grin

But you don't know nutin about new-are  from all your dislikes of great Noir Films  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

But you don't know nutin about new-are  from all your dislikes of great Noir Films  Wink

you don't even like Out of the Past!

as moviesceleton said, I need something besides a dark alley and a femme fatale   Smiley

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:40:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »

you don't even like Out of the Past!

as moviesceleton said, I need something besides a dark alley and a femme fatale   Smiley

I never said I didn't like Out of The Past its a great film I just said comparatively to:

The Big Combo
Crime Wave
Raw Deal
The Asphalt Jungle
He Walked By Night
Criss Cross
The Narrow Margin
Night And The City
Crossfire
Red Light
They Live By Night
Where Danger Lives
The Set Up
The Phantom Lady
Scarlett Street
Detour
The Window
99 River Street
Killers Kiss
The Killers
Double Indemnity
T Men
The Killing
Dead Reckoning
The Crooked Way
Edge of Doom
The Dark Corner
Where The Sidewalk Ends
Kiss Me Deadly
Sudden Fear
Armored Car Robbery

Its not very DARK

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »

I never said I didn't like Out of The Past its a great film I just said comparatively to:

The Big Combo
Crime Wave
Raw Deal
The Asphalt Jungle
He Walked By Night
Criss Cross
The Narrow Margin
Night And The City
Crossfire
Red Light
They Live By Night
Where Danger Lives
The Set Up
The Phantom Lady
Scarlett Street
Detour
The Window
99 River Street
Killers Kiss
The Killers
Double Indemnity
T Men
The Killing
Dead Reckoning
The Crooked Way
Edge of Doom
The Dark Corner
Where The Sidewalk Ends
Kiss Me Deadly
Sudden Fear
Armored Car Robbery

Its not very DARK

Out of the Past it may be less dark than those, but it is better than all (seven!) of the movies I have seen on that list (Red Light, The Set Up, Detour, 99 River Street, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Kiss Me Deadly, Double Indemnity). And if you consider Ace in the Hole a noir, then my 2 favorite noirs (of the very limited number I have seen) are Ace in the Hole and Out of the Past.

Again, I don't care for dark just for the sake of dark  Wink

p.s. why is Act of Violence not on that list? Not dark enough for you? And what about I Married A Communist aka The Woman on Pier 13?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:00:23 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »

Out of the Past it may be less dark than those, but it is better than all (seven!) of the movies I have seen on that list (Red Light, The Set Up, Detour, 99 River Street, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Kiss Me Deadly, Double Indemnity). And if you consider Ace in the Hole a noir, then my 2 favorite noirs (of the very limited number I have seen) are Ace in the Hole and Out of the Past.

Again, I don't care for dark just for the sake of dark  Wink

p.s. why is Act of Violence not on that list? Not dark enough for you? And what about I Married A Communist aka The Woman on Pier 13?

That is the whole point Noir translates Dark, and for me my emphasis is on the Stlyistics and Cinematography for what I'm calling a True Noir Genre, not which ones I think are good or bad, or which films top most conventional Film Noir lists, Ace in The Hole,  and Out of the Past are good films but along with Act Of Violence are not quite as DARK as the list. Now I've only seen The Woman On Pier 13 once and I remember the end being pretty dark but I didn't watch it with the list in mind so I'm adding those that I see that fit when I see them to My Hard Core List.

Its like making a list of Westerns, I'm looking at what makes the film a Western first not whether the Western is good or bad.

The other list in the Index is derived from the American Encyclopedia Of Film Noir for starters and adding others as they crop up.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:21:41 AM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »

RE: my point i my first post that IMO Bogie was better in his non-gangster roles than in his early roles as a gangster.

From the Bogie movies I've seen:

He was a very good gangster in those supporting performances ending in High Sierra,() his last non-leading role) including, from what I have seen:The Petrified Forest, Dead End, The Roaring Twenties, High Sierra, Bullets or Ballots.
But IMO his all-time great performances were in his  non-gangster roles, including, from what I have seen: The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, Key Largo, In a Lonely Place, The African Queen.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:54:49 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:31 AM »

Wait a minute I can't believe you don't think High Sierra didn't have kind of a stupid ending? That criminal conveniently basically trees himself for the law dogs ending is always the weak point in that one Smiley

watch Dead Reckoning and Dark Passage and maybe The Desperate Hours, three Film Noir and get back to us  Afro

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:47:02 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »

Your list is severely lacking The Caine Mutiny. For shame.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations. I believe The Caine Mutiny is in my queue. as for cj's noirs, I'll have to think about it  Wink

cj: wasn't he trapped up there? I don't think he had a choice about it. Wasn't he being chased in the car and they shot his tires or sumthin?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:01:06 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »

Your list is severely lacking The Caine Mutiny. For shame.

i didn't realize it was a film noir, Smiley  if you are answering me

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations. I believe The Caine Mutiny is in my queue. as for cj's noirs, I'll have to think about it  Wink

cj: wasn't he trapped up there? I don't think he had a choice about it. Wasn't he being chased in the car and they shot his tires or sumthin?

I would have headed towards a city number one, and failing that if caught in the mountains head down into the cover of stream bed rather than up an exposed slope.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »

i didn't realize it was a film noir, Smiley  if you are answering me

I was not.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM