Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:56:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Wild Strawberries (1957)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Strawberries (1957)  (Read 9616 times)
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 01:00:31 AM »

Don't care for it. You may be correct about its visual qualities, but all that Swedish angst emoting puts me off. Can't stand Bergman's "tortured" characters.

Come on Dave, I'm talking about Bergman's masterpiece that is a feast to your eye.  "Tortured characters" are part of our life and you might learn something from them. If you liked "Red Beard", you might like "Cries and Whispers" too. Try without prejudice and preconceptions. 

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 01:23:05 AM »

If it's in B&W, it's called "Persona".

That's it. Didn't care for it. Too artsy fartsy.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 10:20:52 PM »

Come on Dave, I'm talking about Bergman's masterpiece that is a feast to your eye.  "Tortured characters" are part of our life and you might learn something from them. If you liked "Red Beard", you might like "Cries and Whispers" too. Try without prejudice and preconceptions. 
I have seen it, Sanjuro. It's not that I object to tortured characters as such, just the way Bergman constructs them. Very theatrical, very annoying.  Also, I find Swedes in general insufferable.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 12:19:34 AM »

I have seen it, Sanjuro. It's not that I object to tortured characters as such, just the way Bergman constructs them. Very theatrical, very annoying.  Also, I find Swedes in general insufferable.

Shocked You'd better watch out. You never know how many people in Sweden are reading this board.

Well, it's true it is theatrical. It's Bergman's style for this particular film (and for some of his other films too). If you can't take it, it's just matter of your taste.

You can't even stand ABBA or Lasse Hallstrom?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 12:55:46 AM »

You can't even stand ABBA or Lasse Hallstrom?
AAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 01:10:55 AM »

Oh, let's not forget Vilgot Sjoman, one of my favorite directors of "I Am Curious" yellow and blue.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 07:45:54 AM »

I saw Persona yesterday, and I must say, I didn't get it, so I guess I'll go with Firecracker and Dave... but only in something, because Astrid Lindgren was Swede, too; as well as Sven Nordqvist, author of my beloved Findus, is Swede. You can't deny they have great children books!

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »

Can't really comment on the children's books, but I'll take your word. And I wasn't impugning Swedish craftsmanship, which is often high, only the way the Swedes comport themselves or are portrayed in films. (Full disclosure: when I was a Boy Scout I attended a World Jamboree hosted by Scandinavia; I visited Finland, Sweden, Norway, and I took to the Finns and the Norwegians, but I didn't get on with the snooty Swedes at all). Also there is the fact that Sweden bought its neutrality in WWII by selling steel to Hitler.......

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »

Also there is the fact that Sweden bought its neutrality in WWII by selling steel to Hitler.......

You could say we Czechs bought relative peace by making airplanes and other things for him... and you could say that Germans... you know?

But I must say, I also don't like the way of Bergman's films and of Strindbreg (I saw one of his plays in theatre and didn't like it too much - though it could have more to do with the way they made it...) As you say, their craftmanship is high... the visual part of Persona was excellent, but a film isn't a painting and it wasn't enough for me... the rest was too confusing.

As for the children's books - some of them belong to the funniest books I know. That isn't so depressive.
And they're perfect for quotating.
Unfortunatelly I'm not able to write it in English.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 10:53:26 AM »

You could say we Czechs bought relative peace by making airplanes and other things for him... and you could say that Germans... you know?

I think I have to explain this a bit. I'm quite strict about such judgments, maybe because I did it with Germans as a child, but then I had great time in Germany; and my two favourite artists are both German...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 09:10:37 AM »

Of course, Czechland was actually conquered by Germany, which is different from Sweden, which decided to cooperate without a fight. Germany was the great perpetrator of evil in 20th Century Europe, but somehow I respect the Germans more than the Swedes. Does the word "Laodicean" communicate anything to you......?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 11:26:54 AM »

Does the word "Laodicean" communicate anything to you......?

I have a feeling it should, but it doesn't...

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »

Wild Strawberries (1957) - 8.5/10
A bit uneven; some scenes are better than others (that seems to be the case with most of Bergman's movies). I didn't much care for the flashbacks.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »

I agree with MS, it is uneven in places, but still very moving.

8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM