Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:23:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)  (Read 1714 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »

Opening credits in 720p available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcp9Ysi75f0
Interview of the designer: http://io9.com/5873372/
David Fincher about these credits: http://www.swiftfilm.com/david-fincher-explains-whats-up-with-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoos-credit-sequence/
Official clip for the song, using visuals from the credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ljbBayiWglg
David Fincher about his process: http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/interview-david-fincher-discusses-having-final-cut-themes-more/

And the one I didn't read (waiting to watch the movie):
Fincher about the whole movie: http://www.halamovie.com/dialogue-david-fincher-on-the-cold-dark-perverse-world-of-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:54:33 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »

In depth interviews of Fincher and his designers about the opening credits and the posters on the great Art Of The Title: http://www.artofthetitle.com/2012/02/21/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:09:46 AM »

I just saw this movie for the first time (blu ray).

Mara and Craig are terrific, and Lisbeth is an iconic character. But the story didn't really interest me. (I've never previously read of watched any of The Girl books or movies). Besides for the fact that stuff gets convoluted, particularly in following who is who among the family members, I just didn't find myself giving two shits about the outcome; I really didn't give a damn about the mystery being resolved. The whole fun of the movie is in watching Craig and Mara. Which isn't a terrible thing. One or both of them are in nearly every scene, so you're never bored, even if you don't give a damn about the actual plot.

I hate how the colors are almost always very fake (either way-too-pale-and-drab grey/white; or a bright yellow); I prefer that when a director wants to achieve a specific color, he do so by placing items of that color in the scene, but not by manipulating the colors digitally; in other words, I prefer that while the scene is set with whatever colors the director wants, it should be filmed in real color, so that the image will look as the set actually does in real life, rather than screwing around with the colors and making some scenes look like a video game.

SPOILERS

Also, I know we're talking about Daniel Craig, but did Mikael really have to be sleeping with both his co-worker at the newspaper (a sexy blond around his age) and with Lisbeth, a character whom I can't believe would ever want to see a cock -- much less be seriously interested in his affections? I suppose that the fact that Lisbeth is left stranded at the end is some way of the writers apologizing "see, we didn't make everything work out like a  storybook"  Wink

I guess I'd rate it a 7.5/10. Story didn't interest me at all, but I enjoyed watching the Mara and Craig characters.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »

I just saw this movie for the first time (blu ray).

Mara and Craig are terrific, and Lisbeth is an iconic character. But the story didn't really interest me. (I've never previously read of watched any of The Girl books or movies). Besides for the fact that stuff gets convoluted, particularly in following who is who among the family members, I just didn't find myself giving two shits about the outcome; I really didn't give a damn about the mystery being resolved. The whole fun of the movie is in watching Craig and Mara. Which isn't a terrible thing. One or both of them are in nearly every scene, so you're never bored, even if you don't give a damn about the actual plot.

I hate how the colors are almost always very fake (either way-too-pale-and-drab grey/white; or a bright yellow); I prefer that when a director wants to achieve a specific color, he do so by placing items of that color in the scene, but not by manipulating the colors digitally; in other words, I prefer that while the scene is set with whatever colors the director wants, it should be filmed in real color, so that the image will look as the set actually does in real life, rather than screwing around with the colors and making some scenes look like a video game.

SPOILERS

Also, I know we're talking about Daniel Craig, but did Mikael really have to be sleeping with both his co-worker at the newspaper (a sexy blond around his age) and with Lisbeth, a character whom I can't believe would ever want to see a cock -- much less be seriously interested in his affections? I suppose that the fact that Lisbeth is left stranded at the end is some way of the writers apologizing "see, we didn't make everything work out like a  storybook"  Wink

I guess I'd rate it a 7.5/10. Story didn't interest me at all, but I enjoyed watching the Mara and Craig characters.

What's funny is that this is exactly what Fincher originally thought about the book, or, more exactly, about his future adaptation of the book. He chose to focus on the two main characters instead of the story (He just asked himself: do I really need to shoot another serial killer movie?).
Hence, even in the investigation scenes, he is more focused on the way Mikael and Lisbeth work/think/react than in what they really discover. Once you accept that, you have less risks of being bored watching the movie.

A scene that I often quote as being a kind of symbol of all this is when Daniel Craig is being shot at in the wood. In this scene, the audience really don't care about him running away from bullets in the wood and has much more pleasure at watching the parallel montage of Lisabeth setting up cameras around their house.

I know I've told it quite often for other movies, but that's one of these movies that get better with each viewing: Fincher is such a perfectionist that every single shot is filled up with perfection (framing, acting, little reactions, details, sets, lights... everything). But it won't make the inherent flaws of the movie disappear (main story uninteresting, final act that has nothing to do with the 2 hours you just watched, no emotion in the end, some ridiculous ideas in the scene with the serial killer, pretty bad action scenes). I own the blu ray and have watched it almost 10 times now (both with and without the audio commentary) and plan to watch it again in the near future.

By the way DD, you could watch it with the audio commentary: Fincher tells a lot of little details that you see on screen, explains how hard it was to get some shots, talks about characters (even very secondary ones), the way he works and where the (big) budget went (tens of people working full time on the photographs you see in the film is crazy).

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:23:45 AM »

What's funny is that this is exactly what Fincher originally thought about the book, or, more exactly, about his future adaptation of the book. He chose to focus on the two main characters instead of the story (He just asked himself: do I really need to shoot another serial killer movie?).
Hence, even in the investigation scenes, he is more focused on the way Mikael and Lisbeth work/think/react than in what they really discover. Once you accept that, you have less risks of being bored watching the movie.

A scene that I often quote as being a kind of symbol of all this is when Daniel Craig is being shot at in the wood. In this scene, the audience really don't care about him running away from bullets in the wood and has much more pleasure at watching the parallel montage of Lisabeth setting up cameras around their house.

I know I've told it quite often for other movies, but that's one of these movies that get better with each viewing: Fincher is such a perfectionist that every single shot is filled up with perfection (framing, acting, little reactions, details, sets, lights... everything). But it won't make the inherent flaws of the movie disappear (main story uninteresting, final act that has nothing to do with the 2 hours you just watched, no emotion in the end, some ridiculous ideas in the scene with the serial killer, pretty bad action scenes). I own the blu ray and have watched it almost 10 times now (both with and without the audio commentary) and plan to watch it again in the near future.

By the way DD, you could watch it with the audio commentary: Fincher tells a lot of little details that you see on screen, explains how hard it was to get some shots, talks about characters (even very secondary ones), the way he works and where the (big) budget went (tens of people working full time on the photographs you see in the film is crazy).

thanks for the info, n_l; interesting as always  Afro

I don't think I have the patience now to sit through the 2 hours 38 minutes again just to hear the commentary. I don't think I will ever watch this movie again. Not that it's terrible by any means, but this is a one-and-done.

Yeah, when you think about the intensity story and the stakes involved (serial killer on the loose, a deranged guy, who is on the island with the main characters, etc.) it's amazing how you just absolutely don't give a damn about what happens; it's almost like in a comedy, where the story is just a means of telling the jokes, or a musical, where the story just passes the time between the dances.

I mean, when you think about it, you have this major subplot with Lisbeth and her guardian, yet that has nothing at all to do with the story (sure, the fact that Lisbeth is abused by her guardian is what convinces her to help find a serial killer who abuses women, but you didn't need the scenes with her guardian to be a quarter as long as they are in order to convince her of that; they exist for their own purpose, as part of the Lisbeth character, unrelated to the movie's main story. Ditto for the affair between Craig and Robin Wright (which, albeit much smaller than the Lisbeth-guardian) storyline, has nothing to do with the plot -- except for the end, where we see there's a love triangle. And like you say, the fact that the movie ends with that triangle -- nothing to do with the main plot -- just further emphasizes how we really don't give a damn about the fact that the protagonists have (supposedly!) spent the movie looking for a deranged serial killer, and a girl who has been gone for 40 years, and that Christopher Plummer finally has his 40-year dream fulfilled.

As I said, the plot is often meaningless in a musical or comedy, but I cannot remember a serious movie (ie. a drama/thriller/mystery) where the plot was that meaningless.

So, n_l, what's your rating on this movie?  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:45:33 AM »

It was probably something like yours (7.5) after my initial viewing. Now it's a bit more difficult to rate it for me. I think 7-8 is a fair rating but I'd rate it 8.5 for myself as it heavily influenced my way of making movies, from scriptwriting, to camerawork/editing through directing actors.

I have to say I'm pretty much in Love with David Fincher's work these days, he's really became an inspirational figure for me. However, I'm not sure which of his movies will stand the test of time (Millenium and Benjamin Button probably won't, Se7en, Fight Club and The Social Network probably will, each of them for different reasons). He might be too much of a technical guy and too little of a story teller. Damn, the guy had a special camera made for him (the RED EPIC B&W edition) just so he could shoot Justin Timberlake in native black and white in his latest music video.

Anyway, I'm stealing from him everything I can Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »

What's Millennium? Zodiac you mean?

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »

Oh sorry I meant The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (it's the well known title of the books trilogy here in France. It's the name of the newspaper in it).

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »

That's right, my mistake!

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »

Btw the original title is Men Who Hate Women.

But I think that it has a pretty good plot. The ending is much better done in the Swedish film. Which is often better than Fincher's version. But not always.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 03:21:18 AM »

I haven't watched the whole Swedish film. I've seen over an hour of it, including the ending, a few years ago. I don't like the acting and it looks to cheap for me so I'm having a really hard time sitting trough it but it's far more focused on the plot, hence easier to watch for many people.
I haven't seen the subway scene in it (I love the subway scene in the Fincher version, it lasts under 1 minute and is an amazing example of Fincher's recent work) but I've heard it was really good too.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:23:40 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 03:51:17 AM »

It was made for TV, but then also shown slightly cut in the theatres.

You really think it looks cheap?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »

Yes. I've seen only parts of it a few years ago and it struck me at the time (my parents were watching it, I came by and just thought "guys, why are you looking at this? We own real movies on DVD."), but I may have added some cheapness in my memories, especially after having seen the Fincher version, where production values really sell the thing.

I'll give it a real try someday, since I seem to be the only one in the world to have thought this hard of the Swedish thing.

Still, there is one point that goes my way: everybody told Noomi Rapace was a great actress when it came out, I didn't think so, and now that we've seen her in other roles we can all agree that she sucks. Also, she played in a web series, and this my friends, deserves death. Why? Because when you google "rapaces webseries" she's all over the results, hence destroying the ranking of my own Rapaces web series  Angry Angry Angry

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29:58 AM »

Ok then she really deserves death.

Apart from that she was great as Lisbeth Salander (and also at least good in her further roles). Rooney Mara was also good, but Rapace was stronger and gives the role more depth and edginess. Naked I prefer Mara though Wink

In the end I did not understand the necessity of Fincher's version. (apart from making money)

I did not understand for Fincher why he made it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:31:45 AM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

Most importantly, Rooney Mara is a descendant of two of the most famous families in American football: Her father is of the Mara family, which has owned the New York Giants since its inception in 1925; her mother is of the Rooney family, which has owned the Pittsburgh Steelers since its inception in 1933. (So I guess she's one person that Groggy and I can both like  Wink)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM