Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 11:32:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kurosawa
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: Favorite Akira Kurosawa Movie
Rashomon   -1 (6.7%)
Throne of Blood   -0 (0%)
Seven Samurai   -7 (46.7%)
Ikiru   -0 (0%)
Yojimbo   -1 (6.7%)
Sanjuro   -0 (0%)
High and Low   -1 (6.7%)
Kagemusha   -0 (0%)
Hidden Fortress   -1 (6.7%)
Ran   -3 (20%)
Stray Dog   -1 (6.7%)
The Bad Sleep Well   -0 (0%)
Other   -0 (0%)
: 12

: Kurosawa  ( 13066 )
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #45 : September 20, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »

So I saw the rest. And it was even more amazing. I'm very impressed.

Our teacher said, that he had seen it somewhen in 1972; and that in that time Dr. Niide seemed to be such revolutionary character. That now it didn't seem so, because there had been many similar ones since then. But that it really had been so. And now that he especially appreciated the artistic qualities of the film.
I think I did both.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #46 : September 20, 2006, 12:55:01 PM »

So I saw the rest. And it was even more amazing. I'm very impressed.

Our teacher said, that he had seen it somewhen in 1972; and that in that time Dr. Niide seemed to be such revolutionary character. That now it didn't seem so, because there had been many similar ones since then. But that it really had been so. And now that he especially appreciated the artistic qualities of the film.
I think I did both.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the film and that you've got a teacher who understands the value of the film.

I never can forget Dr. Niide's line: "Has there ever been any law that prohibits to leave humans in poverty and ignorance?"

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #47 : September 21, 2006, 04:37:12 AM »

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the film and that you've got a teacher who understands the value of the film.

Actually, I have at least three of such teachers... hm, maybe that's why they are my favourites? ::)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #48 : June 12, 2007, 03:29:24 AM »

I've found a wonderful comment on Red Beard on CSFD (from member called Merggie, to cite the source in right way). Please, don't judge it before you read to the end!

I'm translating from Slovakian, so I cannot guarantee I hit the exact meaning, but I hope I will:

"When I saw this film, I had mixed feelings. This should be the excellent film from a legendary director? Typical Kurosawa. Boring, lengthy, something happens from time to time, and you're first of all trying not to fall asleep. Music is subdued by real sounds of rain, wind or chirrup of feathered ones. Ideal lullaby interwoven with several stories of ordinary, mainly poor people. Kurosawa focuses on infirmity of (not exact translation, because I lack proper words) poorest people from the feudal Japan of 19th century and puts them in contrast with the person of doctor Yasumoto, who at first unwillingly stays serving in the (again lack of words) forgotten hospital full of stinking poverty. It's a film that doesn't stay in your memory before some time. I still can't understand how could such a boring film give me so much will to live. And that brat Kurosawa does this to me all the time :-))"

Isn't that lovely? ;) Oh yes, I forgot to say he rated it 5/5. :) And rated Seven Samuai 5/5 as well.

« : June 12, 2007, 03:30:51 AM marmota-b »

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #49 : June 21, 2007, 03:44:18 PM »

I just re-watched Seven Samurai... still rocks. THIS is cinematography...

I love Kikuchiyo. So lovable crazy... and Mifune. That says all.
And yes, I love Kyuzo - cooler than Britt in the remake!  :P

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #50 : June 22, 2007, 12:06:46 AM »

I love Kikuchiyo. So lovable crazy...

That's exact. :)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #51 : June 22, 2007, 12:13:47 AM »

Hey, Silenzio, you don't have Red Beard in the voting list! >:( I won't vote until you add it. ;) After all, it was an award winning film!

Nakadai
Bandido

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.

« #52 : June 23, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »

I've seen all of the above mentioned in the poll excluding High and Low, mainly due to it's shoddy release and the rumors of it's possible re-release. Waitings becoming quite a task, as it's one of my most anticipated for me  to see.

Favorite Kurosawa? Seven Samurai. It's the quintessential samurai film, perfectly crafted and flawlessly executed. That being said, I must admit Ikuru remains the most hard hitting, and would say Throne of Blood's my pick for most under appreciated.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #53 : June 23, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »

I love Rashomon, Ran and Yojimbo too. All are beautiful pieces. Here in Hungary is very few Kurosawa movie on dvd, so I'll download the others. I want Throne of Blood. Love Shakespeare and Macbeth is a perfect drama.

And Mifune... oh. The ideal samurai for me.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
kuwabatake

« #54 : August 14, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »

kurosawa's amazing

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #55 : October 20, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »

Alex Cox is raising money for his own take on Rashomon by telling the Story of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tombstone-rashomon-directed-by-alex-cox#/story

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #56 : January 31, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »

New restoration of "Ran":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Nb5SiYvQ4

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #57 : February 01, 2016, 08:32:19 AM »

New restoration of "Ran":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Nb5SiYvQ4
the Blu-rays are a-comin'.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #58 : February 01, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »

It's weird how Criterion did not give us both the Japanese and International cuts of Kagemusha. Usually they are quite good at such things. This is a case where the shorter international version was not necessarily against the director's will.

: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines