Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 06:49:50 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Godfather Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
: The Godfather Thread  ( 50664 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #120 : November 26, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about%E2%80%A6%E2%84%A2-the-godfather-coda-the-death-of-michael-corleone-%E2%80%93-in-blu-ray.369984/
Robert Harris:
I've seen The Godfather Part III dozens of times, and am now far more satisfied than with earlier screenings.

Re-imagined from beginning to end, with over sixty changes, both large and small, to image as well as audio, Coda is in many ways akin to seeing the film anew.

When my team was creating the Director's cut of Part III, I found the printer functions (fades and dissolves) in the film extremely distracting.

So much so, that I searched out the original material used to produce the dupes cut into the original negative, and for the most egregious scanned the originals and cut them into the new data.

The problem at the time was that I had neither the time nor budget bring all of the dupes up to full quality.

This has now been done, and the film looks amazing because of it.

GFIII was shot S35, which means that the entire film was an optical down to standard 1.85. Returning to the S35 material, now with all new printer functions (and there are many) is a wonderful new experience.

Color, resolution, black levels, grain structure are all perfectly rendered.

For those who love the Godfather films, CODA should be required viewing.

For those into numbers:

The Godfather Part III (Theatrical) = 2:41:30

The Godfather Part III (Director's Cut) = 2:49:56

The Godfather CODA: The Death of Michael Corleone = 2:37:43

Image ? 5

Audio ? 5

Pass / Fail ? Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #121 : November 27, 2020, 01:42:04 AM »

Hum. His comments about the "printer functions" make me feel we're really talking about mostly small changes. It's feeling more and more like the latest Apocalypse Now cut, but with a lesser film. I'm good with that, I probably won't jump on the disk though. Maybe I'll hold off for the Stanton cut? Those are sometimes the better cuts.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #122 : November 27, 2020, 09:01:09 AM »

Not in that case, not in that case.

I never cared much for Gf 3, it is a good film (6/10), but far, far away from the precedessors, and I have not much interest re-watching it in the next years. And not much interest to care what the differences are between the versions.

But it could be interesting to discuss if some (surely not all) of the outtakes of Gf 1 & 2 could improve both films a little bit.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #123 : November 27, 2020, 09:21:34 AM »

I still haven't seen the ultralong "miniseries" version so I don't know what additional scenes are available, yet:

I'm sure the first film could be improved by some small additions. The more I re-watch it, the more I'm annoyed by the linearity of the plot. There is a lot of "We need to do that" =>  next scene: they're doing exactly that. That's the only way the movie is showing its own age.

I'm still not 100% sold on Part II and still cannot figure out why it's a single movie instead of 2. It's usually praised as one of the best American screenplays of the century so maybe I'm missing something... I sure absolutely love most scenes, but it seems overlong and weirdly put together.

All in all: make part I more like part II and part II more like part I and I'll be happy.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #124 : December 01, 2020, 11:19:48 PM »

First review:
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-godfather-coda-review/?fbclid=IwAR2Nq4QOzxJqKBdVcFcet6L2uweKJZLrwSsT4X6scUA8kRP8NXAH_hQFfE0

There is a good chance the theatrical cut will stay the best version of this film. The decision not to use to the original screenplay?s opening (the meeting in the Vatican) at the time was pushed forward by the film?s editor, the great Walter Murch, who felt that that Vatican meeting was too much of a cheap tribute to the first film?s opening. So not only it wasn?t studio interference but a creative choice Coppola agreed with at the time, but it was also the right thing to do. The latest cut is feeling more and more like a cash machine and nothing else.

[EDIT]
New review, from The Guardian (i'll stop sending those):
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/01/the-godfather-coda-the-death-of-michael-corleone-review-francis-ford-coppola-al-pacino?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3D2Q3V4eVCSopZd9h6J-jsBwglyNUOfbNvhlbBMwaPlBRa47V0GpQ99vk

It doesn't feel like a very convincing cut.

« : December 02, 2020, 02:20:07 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #125 : December 03, 2020, 08:33:27 AM »

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Godfather-Coda-The-Death-of-Michael-Corleone-Blu-ray/276218/#Review
The film's core plot -- Michael's (Al Pacino) efforts to steer the Corleone family straight, using the amassed fortune for good and legitimate business dealings and not to further the criminal empire -- is unchanged, as are subplots centering on Michael's loving daughter Mary (Sofia Coppola), her ambitious cousin Vincent (Andy Garc?a), and the vengeful Joey Zasa (Joe Mantegna). The film's reworked structure simply brings greater focus to the story, particularly at it new starting point, emphasizing Michael's turn of direction. The middle stretches are less dramatically reconfigured, but the film's bulk now flows more tightly and with a greater feel for gripping family narrative. The end is where the biggest change takes place, redefining Michael, the family, the film, and the series, all for the better.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #126 : December 04, 2020, 04:53:02 AM »

I wonder about that ending.

Anyway, 3'30 interview with Francis Ford Coppola, Al Pacino & Andy Garcia about that new cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfr0c0fnjX8

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #127 : December 08, 2020, 04:06:58 PM »

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/reviews/godfather-part-iii-coda-death-michael-corleone-redux-re-edit-rejig
The film?s lack of flow compares woefully with the earlier entries (but not necessarily with the various rechronologicalised reedits, which always seem to jerk along fitfully), but the true nagging problem with Part III, or Coda, or whatever we?ll call it, is fundamentally unchanged ? that is, it?s obvious to any Godfather-seasoned viewer that Coppola and Puzo?s screenplay is modelled, almost sequence by sequence, on the first film?s script. Virtually every major Godfather set piece, from the opening meetings in the dark office and Connie?s wedding to the attempted hit on Michael and the climactic montage of violence, are all repurposed into the newer story, with expository spackle patched in between. Once you become aware of the parallel lines, Part III/Coda starts to feel desperate as well as cramped, as though it?s a kind of helpless, pale remake, and the filmmakers didn?t know how to structure it otherwise. You keep thinking, damn, the first Godfather was great, I wish I were watching that.
Word.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #128 : December 09, 2020, 01:43:24 PM »

Yep. This is why Murch chose not to open with the meeting in the Vatican.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #129 : July 12, 2021, 11:19:00 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbi9Ps96tGg&lc=UgzZMsRCK04hKTOExB54AaABAg.9Pgs4FlRFWU9Phcdd5KdpA

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #130 : February 02, 2022, 06:35:26 PM »

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=30078
The trailer caused me to smile. The guy playing Robert Evans is pretty good.

: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines