Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 03:27:45 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Godfather Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
: The Godfather Thread  ( 16520 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #60 : May 10, 2015, 01:13:26 AM »

The story of the young Vito was taken from one chapter of the novel, a classic flashback in the book, not interwoven with the main story. The story of Michael in the 50s was written for the screenplay. I doubt that a sequel was planned before it became obvious that G1 became an unexpected and massive success.

G1 ends similarly to the book. And I disagree that the ending of G1 needed a sequel. And it is definitely not obvious that a sequel is coming. It is instead a perfect movie ending.

G2 is a new film, one which one can watch on his own, but also one which is more rewarding to watch with the knowledge of the first one.

so the book basically contains everything chronologically from Young Vito until the end of the first movie, when Michael takes over? And everything after that all the "present-day" scenes of GF2, and all of GF3 was written straight for the screen?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #61 : May 10, 2015, 01:23:48 AM »

G1 ends similarly to the book. And I disagree that the ending of G1 needed a sequel. And it is definitely not obvious that a sequel is coming. It is instead a perfect movie ending.

G2 is a new film, one which one can watch on his own, but also one which is more rewarding to watch with the knowledge of the first one.

My opinion of course is affected by the fact that I know all along that there is a sequel. But it just feels to me like GF1 is not satisfactory as the ending of a story:

Even if you say you don't need to actually see extensive scenes of Michael as godfather that the story is simply the tragedy that Michael takes over as godfather in and of itself, not that we need to actually see him as godfather why is it necessary to show all the stuff about the move to Nevada? Why can't he just take over in New York and stay in New York? Is it just because Puzo was basing some of the book on reality and wanted to stick in a mention of how Las Vegas was founded by the Mafia? To me the whole move to Nevada is completely unnecessary if the point is merely showing the succession of Michael rather than to set up the story of Michael in Nevada.

Also, the final shot of Kay crying and the door closing on her just doesn't seem right. I don't care enough about Kay per se to have her feelings be so important that the end of a story is how sad she is. The door closing in and of itself could be a good ending an indication that Michael is now a man that has meetings behind closed doors, that Michael has now taken over the role of godfather. But to show how it affects Kay specifically is not something I care that much about unless it is to set up how Michael's succession will ultimately lead to their marriage crumbling in the next movie.

(Maybe Kay's feelings per se don't mean that much to me because I just have no interest in Kay as a character. I've mentioned previously that the only two actors in the first two movies that I really don't like are Diane Keaton and Talia Shire. [I also didn't care much for Gianni Russo as Carlo, he is not very good.] But Keaton and Shire I really, really dislike.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #62 : May 10, 2015, 02:00:24 AM »

Also, the final shot of Kay crying and the door closing on her just doesn't seem right. I don't care enough about Kay per se to have her feelings be so important that the end of a story is how sad she is. The door closing in and of itself could be a good ending an indication that Michael is now a man that has meetings behind closed doors, that Michael has now taken over the role of godfather. But to show how it affects Kay specifically is not something I care that much about unless it is to set up how Michael's succession will ultimately lead to their marriage crumbling in the next movie.

When the door closes Kay realises that Michael lied to her about Carlo's death, that he is now a very different man than before, and that from that moment on she will no longer be a real part of his life, she realises that she is trapped.

Staying in the last shot with Kay and not with Michael is also a comment from Coppola, a way to distance himself from Michael.

And I'm glad that Coppola did not use the scene of Kay ligthing a candle in a church and praying for the soul of Michael Corleone. So ends the book, and so ends the 4parted TV version. But thankfully not the movie.

For me a perfect ending.

« : May 10, 2015, 02:03:57 AM stanton »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #63 : May 18, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »

Just watched GF2 again.

I often skip the flashback scenes, but this time I watched it all, mostly cuz I wanted to time it to see how long the flashback scenes are. The flashback scenes take about an hour and two minutes including the opening scene in Italy, and the final flashback of the Corleone family, with Sonny; I am including all scenes that don't take place in the "present day" 62 minutes out of a total running time of 200 minutes. More than 30 percent. Some of the flashback scenes are good on their own, some are not (THE ANNOYING SCENE WITH THE OLD LADY AND THE DOG  ::) ) but I think from now on whenever I watch this movie I'll mostly skip the flashback scenes.

There's a little mistake in this movie the Senate committe chairman (Kefauver?) says that Michael killed McLuskey and Solozzo in 1947. It actually was in 1945 or 1946 in that scene in GF 1 shortly after Vito is shot, Tom Hagen says, "This is almost 1946; nobody wants bloodshed anymore." When Michael kills McLuskey and Solozzo, I am pretty sure it is only a few days or at most a few weeks after that so it's end of 1945 or beginning of 1946. Not 1947.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #64 : May 26, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »

When the door closes Kay realises that Michael lied to her about Carlo's death, that he is now a very different man than before, and that from that moment on she will no longer be a real part of his life, she realises that she is trapped.

Staying in the last shot with Kay and not with Michael is also a comment from Coppola, a way to distance himself from Michael.

And I'm glad that Coppola did not use the scene of Kay ligthing a candle in a church and praying for the soul of Michael Corleone. So ends the book, and so ends the 4parted TV version. But thankfully not the movie.

For me a perfect ending.

Have you seen the TV version? I never had the courage to start it but I may be missing something. What do you think?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #65 : May 26, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »

I watched it as a child, it was my first contact with the GF universe. It doesn't make sense for me to watch it again in that chronological order cause part 2 works best with the 2 time levels told parallel. And the scenes with the young Vito make only sense for me after having watched the first film.

But it is interesting to watch the additional scenes, which are as bonus in the GF box. I wouldn't mind to have some (but not all) of them integrated in the films.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #66 : May 26, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »

the 4-part TV version you are talking about, that is the whole series in chronological order, including extra scenes not in any of the movies?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #67 : January 17, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »

Late notice, but HBO is airing the eight hour Godfather Epic today at 5 pm.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #68 : January 18, 2016, 12:04:32 AM »

I made it through most of HBO's airing of The Godfather Epic tonight. Here are some thoughts on the experience, for any interested parties.

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-godfather-epic.html

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #69 : January 18, 2016, 01:39:35 AM »

I made it through most of HBO's airing of The Godfather Epic tonight. Here are some thoughts on the experience, for any interested parties.

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-godfather-epic.html

Brilliant writing. Really.
Maybe add a line about the score before DJ sees this?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #70 : January 18, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »

Thanks. I would if there had been original music written for the TV cut.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #71 : January 18, 2016, 08:43:55 PM »

Great article, Grogs!

I've seen each of the first two GF's several times (the third only once) but I have never seen any of these chronologically ordered recuts. Are any currently available on DVD/BRD?

I've always had a problem with the interspersed flashbacks in GF2 breaking up the action.

I agree with you that the Kefauver Commssion scene in GF2 just comes out of nowhere (although Hyman Roth briefly alludes to it in Cuba). I have always wondered if there was a missing scene that shows Michael getting a subpoena to appear before the commission.

Also, in the beginning of GF2, Pantangelli is sitting at dinner with the Corleones, and suddenly they're all in the Michael's study and Michael is saying, "Clemenza promised the Rosado brothers ..." That was an odd cut for me. I wonder if a scene was shot showing Pantangelli & Co. being called into the office.

And IMO one of the saddest things about GF2 is Castellano refusing to appear, so they had to sub Pantangelli for Clemenza. As great as Gazzo was, A) he wasn't Castellano; and B) you just don't feel the same sort of betrayal/sadness you'd have felt if it was Clemenza, knowing how close Clemenza was to the family. Having Clemenza betray Michael woulda just been incredible.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #72 : January 19, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »

The best resource re: the different chronological edits is this article:
http://www.godfathermuseum.blogspot.com/2012_05_02_archive.html

Looks like several of the extended editions are available on VHS and Laserdisc, but the DVD/Blu-Ray releases only have the deleted scenes as extras. It's definitely the case with the Coppola Restoration, the most recent release.

I read the Godfather II shooting script awhile back. Michael and Tom talk about the Senate investigation right after he gets back from Cuba, and several of the Senators visiting Michael in Havana (not just Geary) turn up at the hearings. Not a lot more but enough set-up that it isn't so abrupt.

I agree with you about Clemenza/Pentangeli; with Castellano's absence, it dilutes Clemenza's presence in the Part II flashbacks. One of the deleted scenes shows Clemenza bringing Hyman Roth into the gang, for even more irony.

« : January 19, 2016, 06:03:38 PM Groggy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #73 : January 19, 2016, 06:47:06 PM »

In the official version of GF2, we never see young Hyman Roth, correct?

Into the flashback scenes of GF to, we see two of vetoes close friends  Tessio and Clemenza, right? There is also a third one, as I recall - who is that?

« : January 19, 2016, 07:06:06 PM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #74 : January 19, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »

Looks like several of the extended editions are available on VHS and Laserdisc, but the DVD/Blu-Ray releases only have the deleted scenes as extras. It's definitely the case with the Coppola Restoration, the most recent release.

I have The Coppola Restoration boxset.

"The Coppola Restoration" is just a restored disc of the theatrical cut, correct?

While there are many chronological versions of the movie made for TV, there is just one, official version of the movie that was released theatrically, and then on BRD?

: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines