Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:14:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Town (2010)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Town (2010)  (Read 1571 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:51 AM »

I. Am. So. There:
jjmnolte/2010/09/16/the-town-review-no-sophomore-slump-for-director-affleck
UPDATE: Link no longer operates

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:50:10 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 06:40:14 AM »

I won't even bother writing the post I usually write after checking new movies on IMDb... Roll Eyes

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »

The Town - 7/10 - Basically Heat with Irish accents. Anyone familiar with the heist genre will recognize all the usual tropes - the reluctant leader, the naive love interest, the trigger-happy sidekick, the "last job" that goes awry, etc. - with little originality and few surprises. The Heat comparison is to the film's detriment since aside from the two leads the characters are fairly one-note (albeit well-portrayed). On the plus side, it's very well-made: Affleck is a fine director and he pulls off some nice action scenes (especially the armored truck heist midway through), and it's exciting enough to forgive the cliched plot structure. Good acting too: Affleck is surprisingly solid, Rebecca Hall gorgeous and endearing, Jeremy Renner is good as the resident psycho, and Pete Postlethwaite plays a slimy villain. Worth a look if you're not expecting an innovative masterpiece.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:24:26 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/first-box-office-ben-afflecks-the-town-surprises-for-1-easy-a-2-devil-3-alpha-omega-5/

And it deserves its #1 position.

I liked it better than Groggy did: I thought there was some innovation in it (don't remember a plan to knock over Fenway Park in Heat). I agree  the cast was impeccable (and what a revelation Blake Lively is). Also, having just visited Boston last spring, I had a fun time playing spot-the-landmarks.

Ben Affleck, having proven himself as an actor-director, has positioned himself to be the new Eastwood.

P.S. Anyone else notice Affleck's shout out to GBU near the end?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:26:04 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »

No, what was it?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »

The note Affleck leaves for Jon Hamm, and what Hamm does with it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »

Ah, okay. I didn't make the connection but it makes sense. Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

At Best Buy today I came across the new "Ultimate" release on Blu-ray, which includes 3 versions of the film: the theatrical cut, the extended cut, AND the new extended cut with the alternate ending. The alternate ending, which is very different from the one in the theatrical cut, is Affleck's preferred version, according to a special statement ("A PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM BEN AFFLECK") included in the packaging. What is not in the special statement is the reason why 3 separate Blu-ray releases of this title had to be issued. If the extended cut with the alternate ending was what Affleck wanted, why didn't he release it that way on Blu-ray/DVD on DAY ONE? (No need to explain it to me, that's what is known as a rhetorical question).

Let the record show that Jenkins dodged those earlier releases and has paid only once for this title.

Also, let the record show that Jenkins agrees with Affleck about which version of the title is best. The alternate ending works best, not only in straight narrative terms, but also as a way of amplifying certain themes in the film. It also alters our perception of some of the earlier scenes in the film (most notably, the one where Affleck talks to his father, played by Chris Cooper).

The new set also has a new documentary (which I haven't seen yet). The elaborate packaging has a couple of items that made me laugh. One is a set of temporary tattoos of the type worn by Jeremy Renner on the back of his neck, the other is a facsimile of the "Vericom"  personnel file for the gang member whose work absences were the tip-off the FBI needed to identify their persons of interest. The performance evaluation form is particularly fun to read, and the inclusion of a real paperclip is a nice touch. I don't usually care about packaging, and I wouldn't pay a premium for it (BB has the set for 29.99), but, having decided to get this "Ultimate" version, the extra packaging crap does no harm.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM