Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:47:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Technical Question From The Final Duel Scene
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Technical Question From The Final Duel Scene  (Read 2873 times)
Rudra
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »

Hello,

I have a question about the way, a sequence is shot during the final duel between Harmonica and Frank. I would like to how the "close up" was done for Harmonica? During the first sequence, they zoom in to do a face "close up". In the second sequence, they do a "close up" of the eyes. Was it a simple lens "zoom in"? Or, was it a dolly assisted "close up"? Please clarify?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »

Hello,

I have a question about the way, a sequence is shot during the final duel between Harmonica and Frank. I would like to how the "close up" was done for Harmonica? During the first sequence, they zoom in to do a face "close up". In the second sequence, they do a "close up" of the eyes. Was it a simple lens "zoom in"? Or, was it a dolly assisted "close up"? Please clarify?

In his book, Frayling has a picture of Leone, Fonda, and a camera, with a caption that says something like "Leone lining up a closeup of Henry Fonda," so I'd guess that the closeups were shot separately. In fact, I recall someone saying (it may have been Eastwood, not sure), that while most directors shot the closeups after all other shooting was done, later in the day even if light wasn't so good, Leone always shot his closeups at the same time as the other scenes while the light was good, cuz the closeups were very important to him.

Based on this, I'd guess that Leone indeed lines up the closeups separately, rather than simply having a camera zoom in on the actors' eyes while a scene was shot.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »

Occasionally directors will focus on a close up and then zoom out, and reverse the film to make it look the opposite.  They did this for the zoom in on McGarrett in the opening of the original Hawaii 5-0.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »

It isn't a dolly, it's an optical zoom, that's for sure. Now it looks like 2 different zooms to me:

1) The first CU shot stops zooming before they cut... And the second CU stays still for a few frames before zooming in. Since manually zooming (as they PROBABLY did at the time) is notoriously hard to do/ Remember this shot:

You have to keep the same speed, which is more or less impossible. Add to that the fact than when you start/stop zooming, the begining of the move of your hand is very shaky. Hence, even if they tried to to both shots in once, I'm almost 100% certain they used 2 differents takes, since it's virtually impossible to get both shots right.

2) If both shots are done in one take... then they need a huge zoom lens.

3) Try zooming in on a DSLR (for instance) for as much time as they did. After a while, you have to release the lens to start again the same zoom (oooooor you're a contortionist).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM