Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:15:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Inherent Vice (2014)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inherent Vice (2014)  (Read 3987 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 06:40:15 PM »

You said you'd be nice even if I bitch about IV.
Fine just don't be mean to Paul

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:47 AM »

Ok so here I am. After a first watch:

I had a lot of fun watching the movie. I was also quite bored for about 1 hour. There is a reason why things like "story" exist: they make us stay awake for 2h30 minutes when we have to.
The review linked by DJ has a point: in many ways, it's a The Big Lebowski in less funny. Although it misses two points:

1) it's still funny (but I understand it's not for everyone, and the humor is usually quite easy)
2) it features some deep, moving and haunting moments that contain a lot of truth about the human soul and that, my friends, is what makes great art. The voice over about the day with the Ouija board, for example (more or less: "... the fact that she decided to mention this particular day, that happened towards the end of their time together, even if she was already halfway through the door at this point..."), is the most beautiful thing I've heard in a movie theater since the final "OK" from Eternal Sunshine. Interestingly, this voice over is not in the shooting script.

Speaking of the shooting script, it's available online (with a few alternate lines):

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/awards2014/pdf/iv.pdf

I'll go with a flawed 7/10 that can become a 6/10 if I'm still bored on rewatch or 8/10 if I'm touched by PTA's grace in the following months.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:52:18 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »

Okay I'll agree with all that except with a +1 point on your variable 7, 6, and 8 to be a 8, 7, and 9. Pretty much on point with my thoughts exactly. I'm not bored for an hour +, but there are certainly some very, very boring conversations (Doc and his lawyer in the restaurant....Doc and Coy at party.... more or less any Reese Witherspoon scenes). But they're spread out enough to be forgivable.

I'm glad you mention that scene with the Ouija board. I can't think of many things more beautiful in film as a whole, and that scene alone might even be contributing to a few points of my score. The atmosphere of the flashback, the Neil Young, the rain, voice-over, pacing within the movie... everything comes together perfect, and I've gotten chills each time I've watched. Such a simple but incredibly affecting scene.

It's got less-funny humor than Big Lebowski, paired with the atmosphere of The Long Goodbye, matched with the incoherence and oddness of Pynchon in general. Now that I've seen it a few times, I'd consider it PTA's least good post-Hard 8 movie. But still something I'll be returning to several times in the future.

And that final scene / shot... fucking love it.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:15:39 PM by PowerRR » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 12:10:28 AM »

That doesn't mean we're back together.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2015, 08:59:37 PM »

finally saw in on a Netflix rental, 6/10 it got boring fast.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM