Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 05:02:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Woman On The Run (1950)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woman On The Run (1950)  (Read 1333 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »

Director: Norman Foster, with stars: Ann Sheridan, Dennis O'Keefe, Ross Elliott and Robert Keith. Artist Frank Johnson (Elliot) walking his dog at witnesses a gangland whack on a San Francisco back street. The police want him for questioning and as a witness to the killing. While the police go to notify Frank's wife Eleanor (Sheridan) that they are taking him downtown, Frank skips out. Inspector Martin Ferris (Kieth) now has Eleanor tailed figuring that eventually Frank will eventually contact her. A friendly reporter Dan Legget (O'keefe) befriends Eleanor in hopes of getting an exclusive interview with Frank. Things turn out not what they seam as we get a nice tour of San Francisco.

Sheridan (below) and Kieth viewing Frank's art (right).

O'Keefe & Sheridan

This film starts out very Noir during the initial setup then veers into a very bright almost over exposed looking sort of mystery as Eleanor & Dan try and decipher clues as to Franks whereabouts. There is also a dog named Rembrandt that adds some interest to the story.

Sheridan on the clue chase

The film then has a very nice Noir denouement at an amusement pier.

The video quality of the DVD from Netflix is not restored and has no extras but worth renting to see the film 7/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:17:27 AM »

"not restored" is putting it mildly. It's a shame there aren't better versions of this available for home video. Come to that, there may not even be a decent print to screen theatrically. Sounds like a job for Eddie Muller and his team.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »

TCM showed this last weekend in its "Summer of darkness" noir festival. (I've been kind of busy lately so I am recording these films on my dvr and watching them when I get a chance.)

Eddie Muller presented; he said he had found a print of the movie and shown it in his San Francisco noir festival in 2002, but then the print was destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire. Luckily, The Film Noir Foundation kept up the search and found a print in the British Film Institute archive. They showed it last weekend on TCM for the first time, and I am pleased to report that it looks very nice!
I give the movie a 7/10. Decent B-noir. (then again, isn't "B-noir" redundant?  Wink )

Somehow, Ann Sheridan, Warner Bros.'s beautiful star of the late 30's, manages to look pretty bad here, though she was only 35. I don't know if it's bad makeup,. or if it's cuz she wears a trench coat the entire movie (Muller says he wonders if it is a joke on her part, cuz in all her early WB movies they did all they could to show off her body), or cuz she has an awful hair style. I think it's the hair.

Nice to see another noir rescued by The Film Noir Foundation.  Afro

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:45:35 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »

Eddie Muller presented; he said he had found a print of the movie and shown it in his San Francisco noir festival in 2002, but then the print was destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire. Luckily, The Film Noir Foundation kept up the search and found a print in the British Film Institute archive. They showed it last weekend on TCM for the first time, and I am pleased to report that it looks very nice!

Nice to see another noir rescued by The Film Noir Foundation.  Afro
Great news! I'd like to see a decent print of this sometime (even though, as you say, Drink, it's only a 7/10 film).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »

Great news! I'd like to see a decent print of this sometime (even though, as you say, Drink, it's only a 7/10 film).

Indeed.

It doesn't just look nice for a rescued film; it looks nice, period. Watching this, you'd have no idea that this is a rescued film. I believe the opening credits (and Miller's intro) mentions certain entities that restored it, besides The Film Noir Foundation maybe UCLA Film Archive, I don't remember which. Not sure how bad the print from BFI was, but it sure looks nice now  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM