Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:53:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Boxing Thread
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boxing Thread  (Read 616 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »

Any boxing fans around here?

I have always been a fan of the brutal, ridiculous sport, would be good to have a thread to discuss the fights, the upcoming fights, the stars and the up-and-coming fighters, the controversies, etc.

Just watched (via Showtime on Demand) the 9/8/12 fight between Argentine Lucas Matthysse and Nigerian Ajose Olusegun, for the WBC Interim Super Leightweight (140 lb.) Championship. This was an amazing fight. (If any of you did not see the fight but have Showtime on Demand, I highly recommend that you watch it NOW, and don't read this post until you do  Wink). Matthysse delivered some incredibly brutal blows, I have no idea how the hell Ajose did not go down. Not only did he stay on his feet, but Ajose more than held his own, repeatedly raining blows upon Mattyse, often only seconds after receiving devastating punches from Matthyse that left the announcers marveling at how the Nigerian was staying on his feet. Matthyse's iron fists were clearly hurting Ajose, but Ajose never wavered; but while Ajose delivered impressive sequences of his own, they never appeared to hurt the Argentine.

A major turning point occurred a minute into the tenth round. The fighters were holding, the referee called for the fighters to STOP, and was stepping over to physically pull them apart, when Matthyse let go with a power punch. This was a dirty play, as the referee had called for the STOP, even though he hadn't yet physically pulled them apart. The ref called for TIME, asked Ajose if he was alright; Ajose took a minute but said he was fine and would continue. The announcers felt this was a great act by Ajose, who chose to fight rather than milk the dirty play by Matthyse for something more.

To me, it was clear that Ajose was never the same after that. Up till that point, though Matthyse had delivered some brutal blows, Ajose always came back with a flurry of his own. But in the last 2 minutes of the tenth, he had no answer whatsoever for Matthyse. Finally, at the very end of the tenth, just as Matthyse knocked Ajose down, the ref stepped in and called the fight. The official ruling was a victory for Matthyse by TKO at 2:59 of the 10th.

At the time the fight was called, Mattyhse was leading on all 3 judges' scorecards: 88-83 on two, and 87-84 on one. The announcers felt that Matthyse had won even more rounds than that, yet had great respect for what Ajose had done; as would anyone who saw this fight. Ajose was terrific, and somehow managed to stay on his feet for a long time despite the insane punishment delivered by Matthyse.

Ajose was gracious in defeat. He blamed his loss on his own "inactivity," saying he was "rusty" after having fought only once in the past year and 3 times in the past 3 years, and called Matthyse "the hardest puncher I ever fought." However, he said "A good champion falls down and gets up. I'm going to get up and I'll be back."

No one who saw this fight will want to fight Mattyhse or Ajose anytime soon, and boxing fans around the world will now be closely watching the 140-pound division (or whatever weight class Matthyse and/or Ajose choose to fight in).

This has been d&d, reporting one week late from the comfort of my couch and the convenience of Showtime on Demand  Wink

Now come on boxing fans, let's hear from you...

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:21:06 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »

Stopped watching boxing a good couple of years ago...like my old man use to say....

Too many belts, too many divisions....  You donīt know most of the time, who the hell is champion.

Like Lewis, Tyson, Benn, Eubanks, Holyfield and most of the boxers from the 70īs-80īs period.

If you are a real big boxing fan, then I would highly recommend that you watch "The Thrilla in Manilla" documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANLS0tn14M

Itīs compelling viewing

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:23:44 PM by emmo26 » Logged

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »

Stopped watching boxing a good couple of years ago...like my old man use to say....

Too many belts, too many divisions....  You donīt know most of the time, who the hell is champion.

Like Lewis, Tyson, Benn, Eubanks, Holyfield and most of the boxers from the 70īs-80īs period.

If you are a real big boxing fan, I would highly recommend that you watch "The Thrilla in Manilla" documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANLS0tn14M

Itīs compelling viewing

No doubt there are way too many weight classes and sanctioning bodies. There is no such thing as an "undisputed champ" anymore. And there sure are scoring decisions that make you scratch your head and wonder if the sport is on the level.
And you have to pay $50 to watch any big fight.  (btw, I never buy Pay Per View fights; if I cared enough, I could go to a bar to watch those. I basically watch whatever is on Showtime and the other cable channels, and I watch a lot of the classic fights they show on channels like ESPN Classic and MSG -- fights like the brutal Thrilla in Manilla, which according to what I've read, neither Frazier nor Ali ever recovered from. I'll definitely watch that documentary; thanks for the link  Wink)

So yeah, we can complain all week about how boxing ain't what it used to be. But come Saturday night comes and you get to watch two warriors like Matthyse-Ajose, it's still great fun  Wink

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:19:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM