Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 02:08:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Killing (1956)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Killing (1956)  (Read 5680 times)
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »

I saw this over at Criterion.  How good is it?

Both the movie and the Criterion release of it are really good IMHO... The Criterion release (as well as the UK release) also has an earlier Kubrick noir with it, 'Killer's Kiss'. It's a bit clunky, but something about it I love. I upgraded my Criterion DVD's to the UK blu-ray, but kept the Criterion because of the different extra's.

And FWIW, in regards to the discussion about the ending... The entire suitcase business is pretty dumb and careless planning, but the ending itself is telegraphed in an earlier scene involving the suitcase.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »

Both the movie and the Criterion release of it are really good IMHO... The Criterion release (as well as the UK release) also has an earlier Kubrick noir with it, 'Killer's Kiss'. It's a bit clunky, but something about it I love. I upgraded my Criterion DVD's to the UK blu-ray, but kept the Criterion because of the different extra's.

And FWIW, in regards to the discussion about the ending... The entire suitcase business is pretty dumb and careless planning, but the ending itself is telegraphed in an earlier scene involving the suitcase.
Ok. I will check this out.  The Criterion price is really high at their website. Gonna see if Amazon or another source has it for a little less.  The plot looks interesting...

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 05:06:42 PM »

well as I discussed extensively earlier in this post, my problem is not with the "crime doesn't pay element" per se. My problem is with how it is done in this movie; the whole dog causing the porter to swerve causing the suitcase to fall, that's silly

I agree with the ending being bad.  I just watched this movie after purchasing the Criterion edition.  Let me back up though.  I liked the movie a lot, but there were a few things i had a problem with. The first thing that i had a problem with was George Peatty's wife.  When she was caught snooping during the big meeting when they were planning the heist, i would've thought that they would've kept a tighter leash on her.  To let her leave, and Sterling's character KNOWING she was very manipulative,  WHY let her hang around her husband and risk her doing exactly what she did?  The scene were they are waiting for Johnny to come back with the loot.  When the two guys came in to rob them of the loot, and George Peatty got the drop on them, WHEN did the robbers shoot everybody in the room?  I only saw the lead robber get off one shot. How did they all end up shot, including George? The last problem, and the REAL problem with the movie is that ending.   That ending was bad.   WHY even get on a plane in the first place?  WHY give in and let the bag get checked in?  WHY have the whole dog  thing?  It was a horrible ending.  I mean,  its liked they just tacked that ending on.  As soon as he agreed to check the bag in, you know it was over.   If they wanted to just give up  the writing of the ending and just tack something on, they could've just played it safe and had something where the bag is in the car.  The car breaks down.  The bag is somehow discovered at that point.  ANYTHING but that crazy ending.  It DID remind of you of the ending of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre though...

Cinematography- 1.5 points

Musical Score- 1 point

Acting- 1.5 points

Directing- 2 points

Plot- 1.5 points

7.5 out of 10 points...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:31:36 PM by Moorman » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »

It's 1956 the MPPC code may have demanded that they don't get away with it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »

It's 1956 the MPPC code may have demanded that they don't get away with it.

I have no problem with that.  Its HOW Johnny didn't get away with it.  I still like the film though. It was very well done...

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM