Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:25:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Bribe (1948)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bribe (1948)  (Read 2024 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »

CJ and D&D keep making these film pages, so I might as well join in the fun (although this has been cannibalized from the film noir thread):

The Bribe (1948) - 7/10. Set on the island of Backlot, Central America/Central Hollywood, Robert Taylor plays a government agent in town to get the goods on a ring illicitly moving surplus airplane engines (say What?). The gang sees him coming and sends Charles Laughton to offer him money to look the other way. When that doesn't work, they offer him another bribe:

How can he resist? Easy, he's Robert Taylor. He just continues to adopt his persona as a handsomely carved block of wood and goes on. The gang then decides to take the usual next step. There's a big game fishing sequence that turns deadly that is well done--in spite of stock footage, rear projection, and a studio tank, it's actually quite suspenseful. Then it's time for the gang to close ranks; which means, taking care of the weak links. The mastermind, Vincent Price, plays an uncharacteristically hands-on villain in this one.

"But you know, the pity is, when I'm paid, I always see the job through."

This takes us to the final set piece, which is climatically climactic.

"I see your fireworks, and raise you."

"I call!"

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:03:56 PM »

I'll have to check this one out  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:38:40 AM »

Caught this this morning on TCM, great sets, 7/10

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:52:46 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »

I'll have to try my disc again in my new Blu-ray player. I think the freezing I experienced was in my old Sherwood, which wasn't reliable.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 03:52:16 AM »

I'll have to try my disc again in my new Blu-ray player. I think the freezing I experienced was in my old Sherwood, which wasn't reliable.

Let us know how it goes ;-).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »

Yeah, it worked fine last night in my LG. And for an Warner Archive disc, I've really no complaints about the image.

Sampling scenes, I came across the song sung by Ava Gardner's character (voiced by Who Knows?) called "Situation Wanted"--really a nice tune. I suppose it owes something to "Begin The Beguine" and may be one of millions like it, but I enjoyed it enough to sit through it twice. This is the kind of song Godley & Creme would send up so well 30 years later.

Charles Laughton is really good in this! I'm thinking maybe I should raise my score to an "8". . . .

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 06:51:02 AM »

Just saw this one on TCM; I agree with the 7/10 rating. And I see CJ gave this movie the same rating in the RTLMYS thread, so we're 7/10 all around.

As to your initial line about making threads: Please make many more of them. CJ and I are dying for other people to join in the "fun." We'd like to have a thread for each noir and so we were making a bunch of threads when nobody else was, but we'd be mighty pleased if you and the others made threads for those noirs that don't already have  Afro

As for the movie, Charles Laughton is really good here. Robert Taylor is his usual self, always solid never spectacular.

Was this whole movie made on the MGM backlot? If so, that's an amazing job by the set designers; I definitely thought they went down south for at least a few scenes. And they definitely got some authentic Latin Americans, rather than white boys with mud on their face saying "Ola Senor"

What I really didn't like is the narration by Taylor that opens the movie, in which he talks to himself, eg "You told yourself you were only going there as part of the job..." I thought the writers just took an easy and uncreative way out to tell us half the story, I really didn't like that part. But, the cast is solid, the film moves along, not a bad watch 

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:22:24 AM »

Was this whole movie made on the MGM backlot? If so, that's an amazing job by the set designers; I definitely thought they went down south for at least a few scenes.
My guess is that they didn't go any further south than Catalina.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »

merge

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:44:43 AM »

You did the merge wrong. One version had all my screen caps, the other had most but not all. You put the one in with the missing caps.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:53:32 AM »

upped to 8/10 second go round

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »

Gardner at her peak (not a single shot in which she looks less than gorgeous)? Laughton's best performance ever (maybe in The Bounty was as good, but it's ages since  saw it)? The shark attack and the shooting finale are good but the rest is boring. Taylor is miscast: he doesn't look ambiguous as his character is. Hadn't realized how tall Price was: Taylor is dwarfed by him. 7\10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 06:32:10 AM »

Laughton's best performance ever (maybe in The Bounty was as good, but it's ages since  saw it)?

Nooooo

Laughton is always good, but no way can you say this is definitely better than his performances in Advise and Consent or Witness for the Prosecution

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 06:41:14 AM »

Nooooo

Laughton is always good, but no way can you say this is definitely better than his performances in Advise and Consent or Witness for the Prosecution

I'll find a way.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM