Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:29:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jonathan Frid (1924-2012)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Frid (1924-2012)  (Read 870 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Frid

I enjoyed Dark Shadows a lot as a kid. I'll be skipping the Depp movie.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Frid

I enjoyed Dark Shadows a lot as a kid. I'll be skipping the Depp movie.

Me too, RIP  Cry

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »

Dark Shadows was a series I would have liked to watch but was never shown over here. The series was known though via the cartoons.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »

Dark Shadows was a series I would have liked to watch but was never shown over here. The series was known though via the cartoons.

There was also a House of Dark Shadows film in 1970 that was one of those good/bad experiences I watched the series in the 60's also and the film though good was a bit of a disappointment.  I posted this last December when TCM screen the film:

<spoilers>

During the course of watching the series you felt sorry for Barnabas being a vampire. In the 1700's He had spurned the love of Angelique (Laura Parker) who was a witch (he was in love with Josette duPres)and she effected the death of Josette by bewitching her into walking off a cliff, and in turn put a vampire curse on him.

Barnabas's father chained him into a coffin and sealed him in the family crypt in circa 1790.

When he was released from his tomb in the present, he passed himself off as a cousin from the English branch of the Collins family, and he discovered Maggie Evans who he though was Josette reincarnated and he fell in love with her all over again. He didn't want to be a vampire, and basically only attacked those who somewhat deserved it and subsequently gaining power over them and using them to avoid detection. Dr Julia Hoffman (who also had romantic designs on Barnabas developed a sort of anti-vampire serum so he could lead a normal life in the daytime. The series always had the Maggie Evan's/Hoffman/Angelique/Barnabas romantic dynamic with Barnabas always eluding exposure, one way or another.

The film was a straight forward generic vampire story with Barnabas, rather than being the reluctant "friendly" vampire trying to woo Maggie/Josette all over again, had him forcing the issue with Maggie and disappointingly meeting his demise at the end.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM