Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 01, 2021, 03:02:17 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Long Goodbye (1973)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: The Long Goodbye (1973)  ( 18175 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #30 : October 14, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »

I mean, if she wants to get rid of Hayden, why not divorce him? One would think that she stays with him because he's got the money but we discover that it's hers.
No, it's only after Hayden dies that it's hers. The money comes from the sales of his books, and he's supposed to be a Hemingway type, so the sales are considerable. He's got lots socked away, and there's going to be considerably more once Hayden has died and the "death benefit" enhances the appeal of his work. Terry Lenox gave the money back to Marty Augustine only after Hayden died, because that's when his girlfriend became rich. If she'd had money to begin with, she would have given it to him to get away to Mexico after he killed his wife. There would have been no need to  abscond with Augustine's cash. But the death of Hayden changes everything.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #31 : October 14, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »

No, it's only after Hayden dies that it's hers. The money comes from the sales of his books, and he's supposed to be a Hemingway type, so the sales are considerable. He's got lots socked away, and there's going to be considerably more once Hayden has died and the "death benefit" enhances the appeal of his work. Terry Lenox gave the money back to Marty Augustine only after Hayden died, because that's when his girlfriend became rich. If she'd had money to begin with, she would have given it to him to get away to Mexico after he killed his wife. There would have been no need to  abscond with Augustine's cash. But the death of Hayden changes everything.

I was distracted when all of this info was given. I'll check again. What I got is that Wade wasn't a success anymore and had a writer's block. We also know that he had a problem (or, yeah, not a problem: just a childish attitude) paying his debts, both to the doctor and to Augustine.  And anyway the behaviour of  his wife doesn't make sense for the reasons I gave above: the point is that, if she wants to get rid of him, she could find more easy ways and not try to save him.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #32 : October 14, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »

Yeah, he had writer's block and couldn't write anything new, but sales on  his old stuff were (presumably) steady. And I don't think the wife's motivations were simple. She was "conflicted", let's say.  If I remember right,  in the book she's the murderer, but here she's probably complicit in Lenox's crime only. She was in love with Terry, but couldn't break  from her  husband. When hubby obligingly dies,  she  can finally live the way she  wants to.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #33 : October 15, 2019, 12:58:00 AM »

Yeah, he had writer's block and couldn't write anything new, but sales on  his old stuff were (presumably) steady. And I don't think the wife's motivations were simple. She was "conflicted", let's say.  If I remember right,  in the book she's the murderer, but here she's probably complicit in Lenox's crime only. She was in love with Terry, but couldn't break  from her  husband. When hubby obligingly dies,  she  can finally live the way she  wants to.

I still don't get where you got the notion that she was, in the movie, after the husband's money .

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #34 : October 15, 2019, 04:42:30 AM »

I don't think I said that. She can't be with Terry while her husband is alive, but once he's dead she has the freedom and money to do what she wants. If her husband hadn't died she'd probably still be with him.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #35 : October 15, 2019, 06:16:23 AM »

She can't be with Terry while her husband is alive, but once he's dead she has the freedom and money to do what she wants. If her husband hadn't died she'd probably still be with him.

But I still want to know when it is that we are informed that she is to inherit a fortune and that she has no money of her own. I remember Terry saying to Marlowe that she has a fortune, not using the adverb now or the verb inherit.  I may have not noticed another line, so tell me when do we know she-s waiting to inherit.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #36 : October 15, 2019, 08:47:31 AM »

But I still want to know when it is that we are informed that she is to inherit a fortune and that she has no money of her own. I remember Terry saying to Marlowe that she has a fortune, not using the adverb now or the verb inherit.  I may have not noticed another line, so tell me when do we know she-s waiting to inherit.

I haven't watched it for a while so I couldn't tell you.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #37 : October 15, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »

I haven't watched it for a while so I couldn't tell you.

It wasn't you I was asking, was I?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #38 : October 15, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »

It wasn't you I was asking, was I?

No but I volunteered....

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #39 : October 15, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »

Terry explains at the end that she has more money than she knows what to do with and that was not the situation earlier. 

You have to put it together yourself: After Hayden dies, Marty gets back all the money Terry stole from him. Why did he return it? Answer: he didn't need it anymore.  Why didn't he need it anymore?  Because his girlfriend is now rich (and she wasn't before or he wouldn't have stolen the money to begin with).  How do we know the girl is involved?  Marlowe sees her in her car on the street when he leaves Augustine: the inference is that she herself returned the money. Even if that's not the case (but why would she just happen to be there?) the big change in status has come since Hayden's death. She inherits (and why wouldn't she?).

I've always loved the ending. Terry has everything covered,  he thinks, so allows Marlowe to get close to him. A very great miscalculation.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #40 : October 15, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »

Terry explains at the end that she has more money than she knows what to do with and that was not the situation earlier. 

You have to put it together yourself: After Hayden dies, Marty gets back all the money Terry stole from him. Why did he return it? Answer: he didn't need it anymore.  Why didn't he need it anymore?  Because his girlfriend is now rich (and she wasn't before or he wouldn't have stolen the money to begin with).  How do we know the girl is involved?  Marlowe sees her in her car on the street when he leaves Augustine: the inference is that she herself returned the money. Even if that's not the case (but why would she just happen to be there?) the big change in status has come since Hayden's death. She inherits (and why wouldn't she?).

OK (Sure, the way Wade likes to stick to his money might even make one think he behaves the same with his wife).  So Terry steals the money because he has no clue to what will happen with his lover. She is in love with Terry but still remains faithful to her husband. The death solves her problems and she's left with the money and Terry. So why does she ask Marlowe to take her husband home from the clinic, where he would be safe from his suicidal streak? And why, at the same time, once at home, does she try to thwart his suicidal attempt?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #41 : October 15, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »

So why does she ask Marlowe to take her husband home from the clinic, where he would be safe from his suicidal streak? And why, at the same time, once at home, does she try to thwart his suicidal attempt?
I don't think she wishes any harm to come to her husband. She's actually trying  to do right by him at the same time she's involved with Terry. She's not planning to do away with her husband, it  just works out that way. She kind of plays Marlowe a bit, but that's probably how she makes her way in the world.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #42 : September 22, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29344

The new 4K scan sounds good . . . but I wonder if it will really offer much improvement over existing releases. The original negative was purposely flashed, and correct me if I'm wrong, but as a consequence this means there is less information on the film stock than would usually be the case. I'm not sure a 4K scan will actually reveal more than a 2K scan would. I remember seeing a newly struck 35mm print of the film about 20 years ago and being very disappointed with the look of the film. To my eyes, the resolution on the print didn't look any better than what was available on home video at the time. But I guess we'll see.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #43 : September 24, 2021, 12:29:41 AM »

I watched the Kino bluray last night. I think the transfer could be improved with a 4K scan. I also skimmed through the McCabe bluray, and it was the better transfer by quite a bit (a 4K scan). I'm assuming that the flashing technique would effect McCabe more since the interiors are generally very dark.

The Long Goodbye somehow gets better with every view and if it's not in my unofficial top 10 all time, it's right there. I have no issue buying it for a third time if the transfer takes a noticeable bump. Then I'd buy it again in the future if there's a good UHD release whenever I buy a PS5 (which has a 4K bluray player).

« : September 24, 2021, 12:37:28 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #44 : September 24, 2021, 07:41:17 AM »

I watched the Kino bluray last night. I think the transfer could be improved with a 4K scan. I also skimmed through the McCabe bluray, and it was the better transfer by quite a bit (a 4K scan). I'm assuming that the flashing technique would effect McCabe more since the interiors are generally very dark.

The Long Goodbye somehow gets better with every view and if it's not in my unofficial top 10 all time, it's right there. I have no issue buying it for a third time if the transfer takes a noticeable bump. Then I'd buy it again in the future if there's a good UHD release whenever I buy a PS5 (which has a 4K bluray player).
I bought it twice on LD, and have two blu-ray editions (I can't remember if I ever had it on DVD), but I would buy it again if there really is an improvement in the image. Yeah, it's one of the truly great films.

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines