Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 13, 2024, 03:18:09 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Long Goodbye (1973)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: The Long Goodbye (1973)  ( 23728 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #45 : December 19, 2021, 07:40:50 AM »

Not looking good: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_60/the_long_goodbye_blu-ray.htm

What Gary suggests (and his caps seem to confirm) is that they have re-saturated the colors on the film. The whole point of flashing the film stock in advance was to de-saturate the colors. I haven't seen the new disc, but I have a feeling they've gone for what they think looks good (i.e. like every other film of the era) without regard to authenticity.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #46 : December 20, 2021, 09:06:27 AM »

Yeah I'll pass on that one. Why are they trying to make Altman not look like Altman?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #47 : December 20, 2021, 09:38:37 AM »

UUuh those magenta skintones are reminding me of some GBU editions. Next step: The Piss Goodbye.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #48 : December 21, 2021, 05:23:15 PM »

Next step: The Piss Goodbye.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Long-Goodbye-Blu-ray/285519/#Review

I wanted to enthusiastically endorse it because it gives the film a fresh new appearance that is clearly a lot more attractive than the one from the previous master MGM supplied for this release, but I have to admit that I found it quite frustrating. It is because this master is graded in a very particular way that produces a lot of black crush that eliminates existing detail. In some areas -- most of which are from indoor and nighttime footage, but some are present in daylight footage as well -- the crushing is so prominent that there are essentially large chunks of black on the screen.
Noodles mentioned the bad skin tones. This taken with the black crush reported here puts me in mind of the first DVDs produced in 1997: they had the same annoying characteristics.

« : December 21, 2021, 05:59:58 PM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #49 : March 22, 2024, 02:54:44 PM »

Finally went through the screenplay: https://dailyscript.com/scripts/The%20Long%20Goodbye%20%5BLeigh%20Brackett%5D%20%2803_07_72%29%20%281%29.pdf

I don't know how many rewrites there were. Brackett talks about working with another writer, and then obviously Altman made a lot of changes once he got involved (he found many of the locations; the cat was his idea; probably all the stuff with the dog, too). Anyway, it's very, very interesting to get a sense of how the final product took shape, stage-by-stage.

: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines