Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:17:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  upcoming screenings of classic movies!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: upcoming screenings of classic movies!  (Read 41904 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »

Some spaghettis on Turner Classic Thursday evening.  Included are FDM, Death Rides a Horse, Five Man Army, Mercenary.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »

Some spaghettis on Turner Classic Thursday evening.  Included are FDM, Death Rides a Horse, Five Man Army, Mercenary.

yeah, I saw that. I have my dvr set  Afro

FYI - we've been using this thread for announcing movie theater showings of classic films; to announce TCM showings, use this thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6606.0  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2014, 02:56:24 AM »

From Dec. 12 - Dec. 24, 2014, Film Forum will be running a series of movies from noir writers, entitled "CHANDLER, HAMMETT, WOOLRICH, & CAIN."

Here is the page http://filmforum.org/series/chandler-hammett-woolrich-cain-series-page

CHANDLER, HAMMETT, WOOLRICH, & CAIN

Friday, December 12 - Thursday, December 24

In the 1920s and 30s, a group of pulp novelists led by DASHIELL HAMMETT (1894-1961), RAYMOND CHANDLER (1888-1959), CORNELL WOOLRICH (1903-1968), and JAMES M. CAIN (1892-1977) forged a new style of American prose: terse and harshly realistic, with bitingly colloquial dialogue, their worlds peopled with tough private eyes, two-timing spouses, strong-arming goons, shifty politicos, and dangerous blondes. Their distinctive milieu provided the jumping-off point for one of Hollywood’s most durable genres: Film Noir.

Special thanks to Nicole Woods, Kristie Nakamura (Warner Bros.), Paul Ginsburg (Universal), Todd Wiener, Steven Hill (UCLA Film Archive), Eddie Muller (The Film Noir Foundation), Mark McElhattan (Sikelia Productions), Anne Morra, Mary Keene (Museum of Modern Art), Daniel Bish (George Eastman House), Chris Chouinard, Nick Varley (Park Circus), and Jake Perlin (The Film Desk).

Two new books, The World of Raymond Chandler: In His Own Words, edited by Barry Day (published by Knopf), and Dashiell Hammett and the Movies by William Mooney (published by Rutgers University Press), will be on sale at our concession during the festival.

Many of the movies will be 2-for-1 deals, and many movies will only be shown for one day.

CJ and DJ, you in?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:08:07 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2014, 02:57:36 AM »

From Dec. 12 - Dec. 24, 2014, Film Forum will be running a series of noirs, entitled "CHANDLER, HAMMETT, WOOLRICH, & CAIN." Here is the page http://filmforum.org/series/chandler-hammett-woolrich-cain-series-page

I know DJ only likes to see movies that are unavailable on DVD/BRD ... So I am looking through this list, to see if there is anything that I think may interest you, and I see three intriguing options:

A) This  2-for-1 deal http://filmforum.org/film/city-streets-street-of-chancechandler-double-film
 I am not sure if either movie has had a normal DVD release. On Amazon:
City Streets (1931) has one person offering a DVD for sale http://goo.gl/4Um1vo
Street of Chance (1942) is being offered for sale by a seller for more than a hundred dollars http://goo.gl/fiuegh
(I assume these are bootlegs, or maybe it's a public-domain movie and these are cheap copies?)

Funny thing is, it says this particular 2-for -1 deal is playing on "Wednesday, December 18th" - only problem is that Dec. 18 is a Thursday  Grin so I assume it's either playing on Wed. Dec. 17th or Thurs. Dec. 18

[UPDATE: Film Forum has corrected the date: It's Thursday, Dec. 18]

--

B) Tuesday, Dec. 16th, there is a 2-for-1 deal on Phantom Lady (1944) and Black Angel (1946) http://filmforum.org/film/phantom-lady-black-angel-chandler-double-film
Both are available on DVD but I haven't seen either one.

--

C) Ossessionne (1943) is having a single showing: Monday, Dec. 15 at 7:20 PM. In 35 mm. I've seen that movie, but it's only available (at least in America) on a badly damaged DVD; perhaps Film Forum's  35 mm print is a good one?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:30:46 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:44 AM »

C) Ossessionne (1943) is having a single showing: Monday, Dec. 15 at 7:20 PM. In 35 mm. I've seen that movie, but it's only available (at least in America) on a badly damaged DVD; perhapsFilm Forum's  35 mm print is a good one?
No way to know, but I'm doubtful.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »

No way to know, but I'm doubtful.

yeah, I assumed that if it was a restored, cleaned-up print, Film Forum would have written that on that movie's page. But they made no mention whatsoever of anything about a restoration, so I agree with you, I doubt this will be anything special. (Maybe that's also the reason why there is only one showing of this movie; cuz the quality is so bad, it's really not worthy of being shown in a theater [heck, it's not even worthy of being shown on home video!], so they figure it's not gonna attract many customers.)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »

From Dec. 12 - Dec. 24, 2014, Film Forum will be running a series of movies from noir writers, entitled "CHANDLER, HAMMETT, WOOLRICH, & CAIN."

Here is the page http://filmforum.org/series/chandler-hammett-woolrich-cain-series-page

CHANDLER, HAMMETT, WOOLRICH, & CAIN

Friday, December 12 - Thursday, December 24

In the 1920s and 30s, a group of pulp novelists led by DASHIELL HAMMETT (1894-1961), RAYMOND CHANDLER (1888-1959), CORNELL WOOLRICH (1903-1968), and JAMES M. CAIN (1892-1977) forged a new style of American prose: terse and harshly realistic, with bitingly colloquial dialogue, their worlds peopled with tough private eyes, two-timing spouses, strong-arming goons, shifty politicos, and dangerous blondes. Their distinctive milieu provided the jumping-off point for one of Hollywood’s most durable genres: Film Noir.

Special thanks to Nicole Woods, Kristie Nakamura (Warner Bros.), Paul Ginsburg (Universal), Todd Wiener, Steven Hill (UCLA Film Archive), Eddie Muller (The Film Noir Foundation), Mark McElhattan (Sikelia Productions), Anne Morra, Mary Keene (Museum of Modern Art), Daniel Bish (George Eastman House), Chris Chouinard, Nick Varley (Park Circus), and Jake Perlin (The Film Desk).

Two new books, The World of Raymond Chandler: In His Own Words, edited by Barry Day (published by Knopf), and Dashiell Hammett and the Movies by William Mooney (published by Rutgers University Press), will be on sale at our concession during the festival.

Many of the movies will be 2-for-1 deals, and many movies will only be shown for one day.

CJ and DJ, you in?

Possibly, but I may be at the Ski Area by then it would have to be a weekday.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:19:25 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2014, 09:40:19 AM »

Possibly, but I may be at the Ski Area by then it would have to be a weekday.

works for me  Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »

The City Streets/Street of Chance double bill is most attractive to me because I haven't seen either. Now if we can just figure out when it's playing (hopefully it's the 18th as I'm free all day; on the 17th I have to work and I could only go to the night showings).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »

Thurs. at 8:00 p.m. at MoMA--A Fistful of Dollars! From the write-up:
Italian westerns have a glorious past but a dismal present, having mostly survived as faded, chopped-up prints. We have reason to applaud, then, the new 4K digital restoration of A Fistful of Dollars carried out by the Cineteca di Bologna and Unidis Jolly Film at L'Immagine Ritrovata laboratory, with funding provided by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and The Film Foundation.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »

Thurs. at 8:00 p.m. at MoMA--A Fistful of Dollars!

I am in! I will PM you to confirm details

and btw, I assume that means a new BRD is coming soon?

p.s. look at the picture on the MoMA page http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/film_screenings/22247 doesn't it look  all yellow - they're letting us know we are in for an evening of piss!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »

p.s. look at the picture on the MoMA page http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/film_screenings/22247 doesn't it look  all yellow - they're letting us know we are in for an evening of piss!
Yeah, maybe we should wear yellow raincoats to this?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2014, 01:36:23 AM »

The City Streets/Street of Chance double bill is most attractive to me because I haven't seen either. Now if we can just figure out when it's playing (hopefully it's the 18th as I'm free all day; on the 17th I have to work and I could only go to the night showings).

Film Forum still hasn't updated the page for this movie to correct the date, so I emailed them (bruce@filmforum.org, filmforum@filmforum.org, and rep@filmforum.org)

Hopefully they'll make the change within a day or two.

Btw, I was searching for these two movies on YouTube, because sometimes a movie – even one that hasn't has a normal DVD release – will be available on YouTube. Well, neither of these two movies are available on YouTube, but I did find:
 -- a video of a the end of Eddie Muller's introduction to Street of Chance at the 2013 Noir City Festival http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmvA3df71Us
-- a few clips of City Streets are available on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=city+streets+1931

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:20:01 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2014, 10:07:35 AM »

-- a video of a the end of Eddie Muller's introduction to Street of Chance at the 2013 Noir City Festival
Someone has uploaded a bunch of Eddie's intros. Cool. Take me a while to go through them all, though.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »

Okay, Film Forum corrected the site - the correct date for this double bill is Thursday, December 18th.
http://filmforum.org/film/city-streets-street-of-chancechandler-double-film

I'll decide on this a couple of days before (Tixx for this double bill are only available at the box office, anyway) depending on the weather, schedule, etc. If this winter is as brutal as last one, I don't think I'll be going out more than necessary. We have a while for this one.

----

From Wednesday, Nov. 12  – Thursday Nov. 18, Film Forum will be showing Vertigo http://filmforum.org/film/vertigo-film-page
They say it is a new 4K  restoration you think this restoration – you think this is the one done for the BRD or a new one?
Either way, I'd go see it if you want to. (I've already seen the movie about 5 times – including once at Film Forum – and I know the BRD is available, but it's always fun to see a great movie in a theater with an audience, and it's fun to go out anyway

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM