Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:32:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  upcoming screenings of classic movies!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: upcoming screenings of classic movies!  (Read 41917 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »

From Wednesday, Nov. 12  – Thursday Nov. 18, Film Forum will be showing Vertigo http://filmforum.org/film/vertigo-film-page
They say it is a new 4K  restoration you think this restoration – you think this is the one done for the BRD or a new one?
Either way, I'd go see it if you want to. (I've already seen the movie about 5 times – including once at Film Forum – and I know the BRD is available, but it's always fun to see a great movie in a theater with an audience, and it's fun to go out anyway
I think the only way I'd see Vertigo in a theater now is if they showed a copy of the Harris/Katz restoration in 70mm. Which leaves out FF. I've seen the film a lot, and the recent BD is good enough for most purposes.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »

The City Streets/Street of Chance double bill is most attractive to me because I haven't seen either. Now if we can just figure out when it's playing (hopefully it's the 18th as I'm free all day; on the 17th I have to work and I could only go to the night showings).
Film Forum is now listing this on Thurs. the 18th (yay!). Drink, I assume earlier-is-better for you. It would suit me also. Let's start making plans.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »

Film Forum is now listing this on Thurs. the 18th (yay!). Drink, I assume earlier-is-better for you. It would suit me also. Let's start making plans.

I may swing this too keep me updated.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »

I may swing this too keep me updated.
Will do.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2014, 02:38:07 AM »

yes, I think I should be in for that double bill of City Streets and Street of Chance on Dec. 18

Again, here is the page for that double bill http://filmforum.org/film/city-streets-street-of-chancechandler-double-film

If it's ok with you guys, I think I'd prefer to go to the late showing, 7:10 PM for CS and 9:00 PM for SOC. I understand that you guys may want to go earlier, cuz you have a longer train ride home than I do, and I can probably make the earlier showings. But if it's no difference to you, then I'd prefer to do the 7:10/9:00 showings.

I am planning to be at Film Forum on Dec. 4th for La Grande Guerra, so if we confirm by then for the 18th, maybe I could buy three tickets in advance if you guys want, so we don't risk being sold out or having to wait on line for tickets when we get there on the 18th?

Anyway, we have a little while to decide on this; I never wanna make a firm confirmation too early in advance. But tentatively, I think I am in. If it's not too cold and we have time, maybe we can go to McSorley's for a few beers before or after  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2014, 07:00:09 AM »

I'm fine with whatever, but I'm pretty sure CJ will want earlier shows. He has the furthest distance to come, so I think we should defer to his wishes.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »

I'm fine with whatever, but I'm pretty sure CJ will want earlier shows. He has the furthest distance to come, so I think we should defer to his wishes.

if he wants that, I'll be fine with that.

CJ, the ball is in your court  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »

not sure what days I have off yet

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »

Film Forum will be having a major Orson Welles retrospective from Jan. 1 thru Feb. 3, 2015. I put the info in the Welles thread so we can have the discussion there http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=5822.msg175534#msg175534

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2014, 01:12:51 AM »

Cigar Joe, his wife (let's call her Cigarette Joe), Dave Jenkins and I went to Film Forum yesterday for the double bill of City Streets and Street of Chance.

I didn't like either film, I think CJ & DJ liked City Streets (it was definitely the better of the two). It had what you'd expect from a 1932 film, with the silly tough guy talk, characters named Kid, Pop, and Big Fella, ridiculous dialogue that is unintentionally funny, like:

"Who's Running this Mob now?"
"I am."
"Says Who?"
"Says I."  Grin

A good time was had by all.

CJ should be posting pictures soon  Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2014, 06:44:27 AM »

Down to Lincoln Plaza today for Winter Sleep and Mr. Turner. Will report later.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »

Rare Ophuls coming to Film Forum 27 march to 2 april: De Mayerling à Sarajevo (1940). Some people thinks it stinks; others feel it's an overlooked gem. Drink, wanna give it a try?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2015, 05:16:48 PM »

Rare Ophuls coming to Film Forum 27 march to 2 april: De Mayerling à Sarajevo (1940). Some people thinks it stinks; others feel it's an overlooked gem. Drink, wanna give it a try?

Ophuls? No doubt. I'm definitely in  Smiley

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2015, 02:45:04 AM »

Most of Ophüls' films he directed in the time of his European exile years in the 30s are not so interesting. This one is ok, but not much in it which looks like Ophüls. But then, it was ages ago when I watched it.

The only one of these years which I liked was Komedie om geld, one he made in the Netherlands in 1936.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2015, 09:21:26 AM »

Looks like the Wim Wenders retrospective at MoMA is the big film event for March. Wim himself will be introducing a lot of the screenings. I'll probably go to the Monday, 3/2 presentation of The American Friend (a favorite of mine), which is supposed to be digitally restored. Wednesday, 3/4, is unmissable: Wenders plus Peter Handke will intro the restoration of The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick, one of the few Wenders feature I've never seen. Friday, 4/6, is the screening for Kings of the Road (ha! ha! Mr. Power, eat your heart out!)Then on Sunday, 4/8, there's a marathon of The Left-Handed Woman (Peter Handke's only film, produced by Wenders), Falsche Bewegung, and finally, another fave, The State of Things. Transportation apart, all these showings are gonna run me about $5 U.S. (once I renew my MoMA membership). Sweet!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:27:14 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM