Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 04:48:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dead Reckoning (1947)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Reckoning (1947)  (Read 1244 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »

Dead Reckoning (1947)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039305/

First, here is Leone Admirer's review, from the Film Noir Discussion Thread (at this link http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg16616#msg16616 )

Dead Reckoning

US 1947
Dir: John Cromwell
Produced: Sidney Biddel
Screenplay: Oliver H.P. Garrett, Steve Fisher
Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Lizabeth Scott
Studio: Columbia Pictures

DVD Details

Region: R2
Studio: Columbia Tristar
Transfer: OAR 1.33:1
Sound: 2.0 Mono
Extras: Vintage Advertising Photo Gallery
Run Time: 96mins
Date of DVD Release: January 27th 2003

Synopsis

Rip Murdock is investigating the disappearance of an army buddy. He meets up with Coral Chandler, a nightclub singer, and becomes involved in a world of crime.

My Thoughts

I don't know why but when I first saw this film, I approached it with an uneasy feeling. I don't know whether it was the boxart or the over trying sell on the back of the disc I just wasn't sure what I was going to get. However I popped the disc in the player and I was in a 96minute ride. This film, from the begining explores the conventions of noir, from the flashback, to the voice over, from the confused detective to the assured femme fatale, this film had it all. The direction is exceptional, assured camera moves and direction help sweep the action along as well as some great lines, it maybe no Big Sleep but it has its charms. Bogie, as ever is great giving us a great, troubled performance, a step on from Marlowe in Sleep. Lizabeth Scott is a beauty. Not one of the best actresses ever to play a fatale (see her performance in Too Later For Tears) but hear she plays well the scheming dame up to no good. A well rounded film noir with an enjoyable plot and cast.

Picture

Columbia present the film in its original aspect ratio. Whilst not being the worst transfer I have seen, this certainly aint one of the prettiest. We have frame jitters, hair and splices but sharpness is generally good, blacks are overall very strong and grain is present. Fine.

Sound

Nothing Remarkable, the 2.0 (wish again it was in 1.0) did its job with not much interfearance.

Extras

Our first non-populated disc. All you get is a vintage advertising gallery of 2 posters. The R1 however does include a Bogie trailer gallery.

Final Score

7/10

An above average noir, on an average disc. For extras go R1, if not see the link below for the films cheapest price. Enjoy!

Leone Admirer

Links

Price Comparison: http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/CDR10355.htm
IMDB file: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039305/

Variety Review Extract

Humphrey Bogart's typically tense performance raises this average whodunitwhodunit quite a few notches. Film has good suspense and action, and some smart direction and photography.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:38:44 PM by cigar joe » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:55:26 PM »

Is this the one where Bogie confronts the bad guys with Molotov cocktails in their office? It's okay.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »

This movie suffers from having one of the worst femmes fatale of all-time. Lizabeth Scott is absolutely hideous, and doesn't deliver too good a performance either.

Bogie is always fun to watch, though this character is not nearly as interesting as some of his other noir characters. This movie could have been written and directed better. None of the supporting characters are in any way remarkable.

Cast (courtesy of imdb)

Humphrey Bogart    ...   Capt. 'Rip' Murdock
    Lizabeth Scott    ...   'Dusty' Chandler
    Morris Carnovsky    ...   Martinelli
    Charles Cane    ...   Lt. Kincaid
    William Prince    ...   Sgt. Johnny Drake
    Marvin Miller    ...   Krause
    Wallace Ford    ...   McGee
    James Bell    ...   Father Logan
    George Chandler    ...   Louis Ord

----------------------------------
SPOILER ALERT between the lines

I wasn't fooled by the girl's story for a moment; you just KNEW that there would be some final scene with some big revelation. And when that finally comes, so many facts spill out at once that it's impossible to actually follow; ie. I can sum it up by saying the girl ain't what she made herself out to be, but I hate when you have that one final scene with the long speech about who did what that is impossible to follow.

And how ridiculous was it that after the girl shoots her husband, and Bogie KNOWS she was aiming for him, and he says he is taking her to the police station, but makes no attempt to take her gun! I mean, how the hell can he expect anything other than for her to pull the gun on him???!!!!!!!

The last few minutes were rather disappointing, but

-----------------------------------------

With a better supporting cast and a little fixing of the last few scenes, this could have been even better, but overall this movie is a 7/10.

If you are a real Noir's Noir fan (which I am not), this movie has just what you're looking for, with all the lighting and shadows etc.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:59:45 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »

Is this the one where Bogie confronts the bad guys with Molotov cocktails in their office? It's okay.

yes it is. On that note, it's refreshing: you know that a noir has to end with Bogie pulling a weapon on the bad guy in his office, so why not mix it up a bit with something other than the usual pistol  Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM