Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:00:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fletcher Scene
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fletcher Scene  (Read 33286 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 04:35:33 AM »

Yeah based on STDWD, when Leone says something, you never know what you can believe. He'd say anything anytime for a calculated reason. So unfortunately, despite that statement, I don't think we can know what he would have wanted. My gut feeling is that he definitely would have wanted a longer version.

And once they did release these scenes, I am sure glad they put 'em back into the movie. Idk who made that decision; whether it was Raffaella and Andrea, or Scorcese or Gucci. Perhaps the Film Foundation and Gucci insisted upon it. who knows. But all those articles I saw from March 2011 announcing the restoration say that a new version of the movie would be released. Once you release these scenes, it would be ridiculous not to make a version of the film with it. I don't care what you call it -- Director's Cut, The Childrens' Cut, or anything else -- but I am sure glad that they made this version. Once we watch it, we can decide which version we consider the REAL version, and which one we'll watch in the future. The 229MV will always be available on dvd as well. Worry not  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »

Problem with Leone's statements is that he changed his opinions very often, and you can never be sure if he said what he meant or if he only said what he thought to be opportune. And that his statements are too often contradictory.

Apparently, his children inherited that same trait, considering Raffaella first said the film would "stay what my father did."

Anyway, not only do we have Leone's word on the subject, we also have his actions - or inaction, as the case may be. Even in 1984 there were reports that Leone was planning to release the longer version to Italian TV. But he never did. He decided against it. You'd think if those additional scenes were really important to him that he would have taken the opportunity then to reinsert them. But he didn't. I think that's significant.

Mat

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 05:59:16 AM »

He probably lived not long enough to do so.

But it is a bit shocking that the film stock wasn't preserved in the best possible condition.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 06:08:18 AM »

And once they did release these scenes, I am sure glad they put 'em back into the movie. Idk who made that decision; whether it was Raffaella and Andrea, or Scorcese or Gucci. Perhaps the Film Foundation and Gucci insisted upon it. who knows.
It gives the stake owners a new property, and for the original rights owners effectively extends the length of their copyright. Do you EVER think like a lawyer?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 06:24:16 AM »

He probably lived not long enough to do so.

But he consciously decided not to do so. Sure, it's possible that he might have changed his mind later (say, in the afterlife), but that's just speculation. I'm going with the evidence we have, which tells us that ultimately Leone preferred the 229-minute version.

Mat

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

It gives the stake owners a new property, and for the original rights owners effectively extends the length of their copyright. Do you EVER think like a lawyer?

Maybe he's not a copyright lawyer Jinks. Tongue

Saturday nights with Groggy
cheem_2000
Road Apple

'With the Wind!'

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »

For me seeing extra scenes restored for  Once upon a Time in America is not based on understanding the story better. We have all come to love Leone's ellipitical style which relies more on sound music and camera. Just being able to see his marvellous shot selection and composition is enough. Wink Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »

Maybe he's not a copyright lawyer Jinks. Tongue

that is correct. Intellectual Property Law never interested me and I never took a single class on it

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »

For me seeing extra scenes restored for  Once upon a Time in America is not based on understanding the story better. We have all come to love Leone's ellipitical style which relies more on sound music and camera. Just being able to see his marvellous shot selection and composition is enough. Wink Afro

My thoughts exactly.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »

My thoughts exactly.

agreed. I don't see how anyone complain about getting more Leone scenes. This may well be the last time we ever get that

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

Agreed. But that doesn't mean I want the footage re-integrated with the rest of the film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 06:49:57 AM »

Agreed. But that doesn't mean I want the footage re-integrated with the rest of the film.

It won't. Because it's green.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM