Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:44:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wild Bunch (1969)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Bunch (1969)  (Read 94433 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 11:00:43 AM »

gotta agree with two kinds... decent... but horribly overrated... i wouldn't have it in my top 10 of 60's westerns.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 12:04:28 PM »

The Wild Bunch is the first western to push the envelope.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 01:08:34 PM »

No, it really wasn't.  And its violence was old hat for the fans of spaghetti westerns when it came out.   It has some cool parts, but it is really overrated and compared to Leone, Sam's got a boring camera.  

As I mentioned above there are two `60's "classics" that are partly screwed by Ernest Borgnine and his ham fisted acting: The Wild Bunch and The Dirty Dozen.    He's a caricture in both.

Further, the diaolg is a big "who cares?" in The Wild Bunch.   It's fine and fun, but a zapata derivitive and I don't like zapata westerns too much.

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 05:21:03 PM »

I agree with you on Borgnine, I've never really liked him in most films, he does play a good bad guy that you love to hate but not a likeable simpathetic character in the least. Ernest had a bit part in Johnny Guitar too by the way.

I've mentioned before also in a thread that the only way that Sam showed any kind of gang cohesion was by their drinking and their incessant insane laughing, you'd think you were watching a staple Spaghetti Western scene but it goes on and on and on way to long. It was as if he were trying to make the gang likeable I guess. The dialog definitely doesn't do it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 10:16:08 PM »

That is possibly the silliest thing i've ever heard uttered on these boards... what envelope did it push? Is that the envelope that spaghetti's and Peckinpah prior to The Wild Bunch had been pushing up and down the western genre... absolute donkey turd is what that statement is... funny thing is i hear it all the time.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 10:20:38 PM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Christopher
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2004, 07:43:56 AM »

I consider The Wild Bunch to be my favorite non-Eastwood western. I have the DVD but haven't watched it in some time. Perhaps it's time to do so again.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2004, 12:20:19 PM »

That is possibly the silliest thing i've ever heard uttered on these boards... what envelope did it push? Is that the envelope that spaghetti's and Peckinpah prior to The Wild Bunch had been pushing up and down the western genre... absolute donkey turd is what that statement is... funny thing is i hear it all the time.
With you 100%, granpa chum! IMhumbleO, westerns that "pushed the envelope" include WILLIAM WYLER'S THE WESTERNER (1940); HENRY KING'S THE GUNFIGHTER (1950); GEORGE STEVENS SHANE (1953); JOHN FORD'S WORK and of course LEONE'S! And not forgetting WILLIAM WELLMAN'S unforgetable classic THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (1943). And maybe 50 more! Wink

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 12:20:58 PM by Belkin » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2004, 01:49:09 PM »

This is Crap. I'm going to have sex with my girlfriend and Watch Scarface.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 04:34:57 PM »

dont sound bad 2 me, film junkie zach, got scarface, just need a girlfriend lol  Undecided

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2004, 07:08:36 PM »

Zach, sorry about Grandpa, he's crotchety.  I hope you felt my disagreement was respectful.   If not f**k you and the F**kin' Diaz Brothers!

More feeling.
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004, 09:06:26 PM »

It's Cool Two Kinds of... I'm not worried about Grandpa, He's fine. I'm just getting tired of Belkin. He's been in my shit ever since I got here

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 10:04:06 PM »

I don't know belkin or why he bothers screwing around with font and text colors.  

More feeling.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2004, 10:56:26 PM »

It's Cool Two Kinds of... I'm not worried about Grandpa, He's fine. I'm just getting tired of Belkin. He's been in my **** ever since I got here

I'm glad you take my rantings as disrespectful... they aren't meant to be that way... and belkin is on everybodies ass... you get used it... and even learn to enjoy it... haha... just kidding around... actually belkin is one of the few who agree with me once in a while...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 10:57:57 PM by grandpa_chum » Logged

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2004, 10:58:58 PM »

I consider The Wild Bunch to be my favorite non-Eastwood western. I have the DVD but haven't watched it in some time. Perhaps it's time to do so again.

I pray to god you've never seen Once Upon A Time In The West...

KERMIT
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2004, 01:23:06 AM »

gramps, could you share your thoughts on early sam ? i.e. his riffle man series, ect.  

oh yeah, our back threads have a multitude of sins.  lol, is there no end to our blasphemy ?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 01:30:28 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM