Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2018, 01:37:49 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Master (2012)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 8
: The Master (2012)  ( 16967 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« : May 21, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »

Teaser trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's new film,mwith Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The article claims that PTA himself cut the trailer.
The film is reportedly shot in 65mm (yeah, so they didn't invente that format ONLY for 2 shots in Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid).

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.fr/2012/05/master-teaser-trailer-has-arrived.html?spref=tw

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #1 : May 21, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »

I wanted to post this...

I can only remember a couple times I've been more excited for a movie... There Will Be Blood and The Tree of Life. I've been waiting for PTA's next feature ever since I walked out of my first TWBB showing five years ago. Joaquin Phoenix already looks like he's going to give an incredible performance. The footage and nature of this trailer is very, very different from what I was expecting, and adds even more mystery to what exactly the story is about. From what I've heard, an extended 4 minute version of this teaser was shown at Cannes and reportedly a large amount more incredible. It includes footage of Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, and apparently Joaquin Phoenix jerking off on the beach as people watched.

PTA is my favorite director. Far more so than Leone (though I doubt he'll ever make a greater film than OUATIA). I'll be heading to Boston the day it gets released there.

Oh and say something on my To the Wonder thread dickhead, I think you're the only other person on here who even likes Malick.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #2 : May 21, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »

Jesus Christ, that is one good-looking trailer :o

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3 : May 22, 2012, 06:00:08 AM »

I hate PTA's films (well, I kinda liked Hard Eight), but that trailer IS great and I'm now looking forward to this.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #4 : May 22, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »

The trailer IS great, but I'm not so sure about Phoenix' performance. I don't think he's a great actor: he's good, has a presence and a charisma but everytime he tries things a bit over the top he fails (I have some scenes of Two Lovers in mind, and his whole I'm Still Here experiment is a mess. Come on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPX-hSO3cqw this is a TERRIBLE performance. I could be better with 2 weeks of preparation). And in this trailer, on the close ups, I feel I can see him acting. He's pretending to be the character. My opinion may change when I'll see the full scene (and I will), but still. He's not Daniel Day Lewis.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #5 : May 22, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

Joaquin Phoenix has never impressed me before, but he sure does in this trailer. Of course he won't get on DDL level, but I believe under Anderson's direction it will be a career-defining performance.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #6 : May 23, 2012, 05:03:05 AM »

And in this trailer, on the close ups, I feel I can see him acting.
It works for the scene, though, because we don't know if he really can't remember or if he's pretending, which is unsettling. A flakey performance is what a flakey character requires. Whether or not that approach will hold up throughout the whole film is something we won't know until we see the entire thing.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #7 : May 25, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »

Judging from the trailer, synopsis, and PTAs general influences, I've got a feeling this will be a lot like Wise Blood meets 3 Women

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #8 : June 19, 2012, 06:24:02 AM »

A 2nd teaser trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8eyMFCpJw&feature=player_embedded

Not at all as unnerving and interesting as the first one, but it gives a good look at Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams.

And damn this movie is being expertly marketed, in my opinion. These teasers are making me more and more excited as well as wondering even more what it's even truly about.

« : June 19, 2012, 07:11:25 AM rrpower »
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #9 : June 19, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »

I can't believe how awesome it looks.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10 : June 19, 2012, 11:58:24 AM »

This second teaser makes me NOT want to see the film.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #11 : June 19, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »

This second teaser makes me NOT want to see the film.
Dick!

What ruins it for you in the second trailer? I suppose it breaks quite a lot of mystery in Phoenix's character, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing considering nobody really knows what the movie is exactly about yet anyways.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #12 : June 19, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »

I think the performances in that 2nd tailer really blow.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #13 : June 19, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »

Phoenix' shouting at the end is a little off but other than that I don't see anything bad about the acting.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14 : June 21, 2012, 06:55:51 AM »

Why the fuck do people keep saying this and PTA are 'Kubrickian" or "Kubrick Rip-off"? I don't see Kubrick in his movies at all. Though I'll be the first to call him an Altman or Scorsese rip-off. Hard Eight = California Split, Boogie Nights = Goodfellas, Magnolia = Short Cuts, There Will Be Blood = McCabe and Mrs. Miller...only Punch-Drunk Love is standalone, but it uses a song from Popeye.

I just don't understand the Kubrick comparisons. Maybe, just maybe in There Will Be Blood for a little bit. But barely. I can't stylistically or thematically compare the trailers for The Master to anything in particular besides Huston's Let There Be Light documentary and possibly Wise Blood.

« : June 21, 2012, 06:59:43 AM rrpower »
: [1] 2 3 ... 8  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines