Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2018, 08:28:03 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Master (2012)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
: The Master (2012)  ( 15668 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #105 : March 20, 2015, 04:58:23 AM »

What's missing from the film are the characters with "great souls" that one usually encounters in epic films. But this is by design. One lead is an alcoholic drifter, the other a con man. Neither of these guys are capable of true greatness. The epic setting provides a glaring contrast to the subject matter. Hence, irony; hence, the feeling of dissatisfaction that arises in viewers.

There is a more intimate picture within the epic film: the story of the friendship between these two lonely men. This friendship is improbable and therefore short lasting. It's sad when it turns out the friends must part a second time and forever. This can also be a point of dissatisfaction in the audience.

Why can't dissatisfaction be the planned end-product of the film? Had PTA wanted to evoke something else in his audience, he would have chosen different subjects. What can you do with Scientology that is truthful and isn't going to leave you with a sense of lives wasted, opportunities squandered? I think PTA achieved exactly what he set out to do, and he achieved it with great craft.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #106 : March 20, 2015, 11:49:39 AM »

What's missing from the film are the characters with "great souls" that one usually encounters in epic films. But this is by design. One lead is an alcoholic drifter, the other a con man. Neither of these guys are capable of true greatness. The epic setting provides a glaring contrast to the subject matter. Hence, irony; hence, the feeling of dissatisfaction that arises in viewers.

There is a more intimate picture within the epic film: the story of the friendship between these two lonely men. This friendship is improbable and therefore short lasting. It's sad when it turns out the friends must part a second time and forever. This can also be a point of dissatisfaction in the audience.

Why can't dissatisfaction be the planned end-product of the film? Had PTA wanted to evoke something else in his audience, he would have chosen different subjects. What can you do with Scientology that is truthful and isn't going to leave you with a sense of lives wasted, opportunities squandered? I think PTA achieved exactly what he set out to do, and he achieved it with great craft.

Maybe I'll catch this while flippin' channels one of these days... you sound so moved  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #107 : May 15, 2015, 05:14:47 AM »

Doesn't seem fair to its nature to rate it or analyze it,; unique movie all the way. I enjoyed 95 % of it, only the ending seemed 'disappointing', if we can call it that, but at the same time I know not what could have made it better...

8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #108 : May 15, 2015, 06:39:46 AM »

Doesn't seem fair to its nature to rate it or analyze it,; unique movie all the way. I enjoyed 95 % of it, only the ending seemed 'disappointing', if we can call it that, but at the same time I know not what could have made it better...

8/10

as a general matter: I disagree with the idea that you can't fully criticize something if you "don't know how it could have been made better." You are not the filmmaker; it's not your job to come up with something better. You are a viewer, and if you don't like something, you have the right to criticize it and don't have to offer a better alternative. Coming up with something better is his job, not yours.

of course, that doesn't mean that as a viewer, you don't have the right to say how you think a movie could have been improved. You have the right, but not the obligation  ;)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines