Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 06, 2020, 03:13:55 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Straight Time (1978)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Straight Time (1978)  ( 130 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : July 07, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »

I thought I had seen it, but if I did only the jewelry shop heist and Busey's death looked familiar. But having just read the novel I was forced to watch it. Well, being shot in California it is a noir with little noir, but the story is noir for sure. The story of the novel, which is surely one of the best crime novel with just a little bit of verbosity I'd gladly do without, but still a 8/10, probably even more. The movie takes up the main element of the plot (the author contributed to the screenplay and does a bit part) but it must leave much off. Characters, plot turns and of course what motivates the narrator. Probably, if I hadn't read the novel, I'd give the movie a higher rate than 7/10. But this is a must see anyway.   

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : July 08, 2020, 03:43:41 AM »

I thought I had seen it, but if I did only the jewelry shop heist and Busey's death looked familiar. But having just read the novel I was forced to watch it. Well, being shot in California it is a noir with little noir, but the story is noir for sure. The story of the novel, which is surely one of the best crime novel with just a little bit of verbosity I'd gladly do without, but still a 8/10, probably even more. The movie takes up the main element of the plot (the author contributed to the screenplay and does a bit part) but it must leave much off. Characters, plot turns and of course what motivates the narrator. Probably, if I hadn't read the novel, I'd give the movie a higher rate than 7/10. But this is a must see anyway.

Its about right for the film, I've never read the novel.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #2 : July 08, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »

I saw this somewhat recently and undersold its quality. It's a great combination of a character study + crime film and Emmet Walsh steals all of his scenes. Dustin Hoffman is very believable as a small time ex-con and the rest of the cast is great: Harry Dean Stanton, Theresa Russell, Gary Busey and Kathy Bates. A-

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3 : July 09, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »

I also read Dog Eat Dog, set in LA in the '90's. Good, but I'd say half a notch under Bunker's first. I wonder though how many of these pros, in real life, do armed robberies and other stuff  having dope crazy fiends as partners.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines