Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:57:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  150 Years Ago in the West
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 150 Years Ago in the West  (Read 4528 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/05/the-american-west-150-years-ago/100304/

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »

Afro Afro

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »

Very Cool

This one looks like the Carriage of the Spirits

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Timothy O'Sullivan's darkroom wagon, pulled by four mules, entered the frame at the right side of the photograph, reached the center of the image, and turned around, heading back out of the frame. Footprints lead from the wagon toward the camera, revealing the photographer's path. Photo taken in 1867, in the Carson Sink, part of Nevada's Carson Desert. (Timothy O'Sullivan/LOC)

CARSON DESERT !!!!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:00:34 PM by emmo26 » Logged

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:24:21 AM »

Were these photos in one of those archives that were just opened and disseminated widely for the first time, or have they been widely available for a while? I'd love to know if it was possible that Leone saw these pictures. If he did, I really believe you guys may be on to something in pointing out the comparisons with GBU.

On a separate note: I have seen these and other archive photos of the West, of mining towns and desert and mines and Indians. But I am interested in seeing some photos of a "regular" town's main street. ie. not a mining town, which looks like a bunch of makeshift dwellings around a mine, but a main street, with the saloon and hotel and telegraph office and livery stable etc. etc. etc. I'd really love to compare those photos with the main streets of towns that we see in so many Westerns. (as well as the interiors of these buildings). I'm sure I'll get a bunch of hits by Googling it, but I would appreciate it if anyone knows of a good online photo archive you can point me to that has nice shots of the main street of Western towns. Thanks  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Smokey
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »

Sometimes you can do a search of a town on ebay and you will get some good, old postcards of the main street to look at.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »

Virginia City, Montana, is close: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1341.0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »

(COLORIZED) Lt. Custer and Union Troops (1862)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »

(COLORIZED) Lt. Custer and Union Troops (1862)

notice the wicker covered bottle

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »

some more pictures here...

http://www.old-picture.com/civil-war-index-001.htm

http://www.old-picture.com/old-west-index-001.htm

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 07:38:09 AM »

Since you brought up George Custer, you really need to read up on his soldiering, like in a 2012 True West magazine.  Sure, we've all heard about Little Big Horn, but his orders were pretty direct, like kill them or bring the Indians in, and within certain timeframe.

Many historians actually feel that Custer was the single most soldier behind the North actually winning the war, and feel that his reputation has been far overshadowed by Little Big Horn, where he relied on incorrect information.  He was like Forest Gump, turning up at most major confrontations, Gettysburg, Appomatox (was even given the desk upon which the surrender was signed).

True, his men had done an all-night march, but Custer felt that his element of surprise would have been compromised, so maybe 20/20 hindsight.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »

True, his men had done an all-night march, but Custer felt that his element of surprise would have been compromised, so maybe 20/20 hindsight.
Wouldn't have mattered. The Sioux had repeating rifles, Custer's men didn't. Technology trumps tactics every time.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »

The idea that Custer played a "decisive" role in the Civil War is balderdash. He certainly served with distinction, but nothing that won a major battle (as opposed to a cavalry skirmish) or decided a campaign. The July 3rd cavalry battle at Gettysburg was at best a sideshow to Pickett's Charge and Culp's Hill. He helped checkmate Lee at Appomattox but the two Yankee infantry corps played a bigger part.

As for Little Big Horn, Custer tried what had worked at the Washita River: divide his force and attack the hostiles in their camp. Problem is that he was outnumbered at least 10 to 1 (more if you include noncombatants) on this occasion and there was no coordination between his battalions.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »

It should have been posted in the GBU forum.

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

General Sibley....you would think with his profile heīd be on the winning side.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM