Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 06:09:06 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)  ( 124 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : June 18, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »

SPOILER ALERT...   I'm getting to the point now where I'm EXPECTING some of these film noirs to have heavily censored endings.  The film had a great plot and depending on how you feel about what happened the ending was either good or bad.  I had no problem with the ending but like " The Woman in the Window" it feels tacked on because of code censorship.  The play on broadway had a different ending and the story was told from a flashback point of view.

Getting back to the plot.  Its simple yet complex at the same time.  I love films that have NUANCED character studies.  The plot is about designer Uncle Harry who works in a fabric mill. He lives with his sisters one of whom is named Lettie.  The town is a small New England town and gossip reigns supreme.  The Quincy family ( Harry, Lettie, etc.) live in a rather nice large home but lost most of their money during the depression. Lettie has grown attached to her brother Harry.  A female newcomer moves to town from New York City named Deborah.  She and Harry instantly fall in love and this upsets Lettie who plots to make sure they don't stay together.

Whats deep and nuanced about Lettie and her closeness to Harry is it reminded you of the movie Scarface and Tony's over protection of his sister in that film.  This leads to a film that has a pretty good plot going until the ending.  The censored ending pretty much ruined everything that came before it and undermined what would've been another masterpiece from director Robert Siodmark.  Still, i give this film a pretty solid 8 out of 10. 

Excellent review here:  https://www.popmatters.com/191206-not-everyones-wild-about-the-strange-affair-of-uncle-harry-2495554444.html

E

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #1 : June 19, 2018, 02:46:30 AM »

I sneaked out to find the censored ending of this one on Wiki after reading your post. I see what you mean. Still I like Robert Siodmak's films. And I look forward to seeing this one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : June 19, 2018, 07:13:44 AM »

I didn't realize the ending we have now was tacked on. I guess it's possible to watch the film and end it where it was originally supposed to end. I like the idea of the sister getting revenge on Harry by seeing her sentence through. Very noir.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
moorman
Gunslinger

« #3 : June 19, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »

I sneaked out to find the censored ending of this one on Wiki after reading your post. I see what you mean. Still I like Robert Siodmak's films. And I look forward to seeing this one.

It's on YouTube...

moorman
Gunslinger

« #4 : June 19, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »

I didn't realize the ending we have now was tacked on. I guess it's possible to watch the film and end it where it was originally supposed to end. I like the idea of the sister getting revenge on Harry by seeing her sentence through. Very noir.

Yes . They could've ended there.  I read that the studio played  around with five different endings before settling on the one that was shown.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines