Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 10:41:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ride The Pink Horse (1947)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ride The Pink Horse (1947)  (Read 2713 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »

Director Robert Montgomery, starring Robert Montgomery, Thomas Gomez, Fred Clark, Wanda Hendrix, Art Smith, Andrea King, and John Doucette in an unaccredited part.

Lucky Gagin (Montgomery), arrives in a New Mexico Town looking for shady politico Frank Hugo (Clark) to square a double cross that Hugo pulled on his partner. Also tailing Hugo is Bill Retz (Smith) a G-Man, who spots Gagin when he arrives on the Greyhound bus.

Gagin meets Pancho at the Cantina de Las Tres Violettas

There is a big fiesta in town and as a result Gagin can't find a room at any of the hotels which in a round about way leads him to meeting Pila a young Native American/Mexican girl (Hendrix) who is somewhat of a seer and healer, and Pancho (Gomez) the owner & operator of the Tio Vivo Carousel. Gangster Gagin is a fish out of water in the Hispanic/Indio culture but his straight forward honesty and generosity wins him the respect of the locals. Pancho takes him under his wing and Pila watches out for him as he navigates around the unfamiliar territory. Andre King plays a wanna be femme fatale that Gagin doesn't fall for. But nevertheless he is tricked into an ambush by her

King at first mmeeting with Gagin

King Making her pitch to double cross Hugo

The signal for the ambush

Pancho

Pila

Pila finding and assisting Montgomery who has been stabbed in the back.

Pila and Gagin escaping from the assassins

Gagin at the Bus Terminal

Art Smith & Montgomery

A great noir sequence develops when Pancho is beaten as he runs the carousel as the children riding it watch.

Fred Clark as Frank Hugo the sleazy hearing aide wearing politician

A very good film with engaging characters, Gomez shines, Montgomery, Smith and Hendrix are great, Clark is a convincing slimy politician. Shot partly on location in New Mexico, 8/10  

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:30:58 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

I've wanted to see this for years. Where's you get the chance?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »

Copied from an old TCM broadcast. There is no DVD as of yet.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »

"Gangster" Gagin? Where did you get the idea, CJ? His war pal tried to blackmail Hugo and got killed, thjough he managed to send evidence (a check) to Gagin.
Anyway, I agree with what you say. The finale is quite a let down, with that amnesia trick, but you follow this movie for the dialogues between Gagin, Pancho and Pila. But I wonder: how can Pila, living in a remoted small village, be so proficient in English?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »

have you read the source novel yet?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:36:43 AM »

have you read the source novel yet?

No, I didn't. But what has got that to do with the movie?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

No, I didn't. But what has got that to do with the movie?
I think that's where I got the gangster Gagin angle it stuck in my head

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »

since its discussed  Wink

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »

Here's DJ's scathing review:

Ride the Pink Horse (1947) 1080p - 4/10. Man, what a disappointment! A dull story dully told. And Robert Montgomery is a hopeless actor. The device of the little Mexican girl (Wanda Hendrix) who follows the hero around is annoying and serves no purpose. Yeah, there's some good photography, but it's mostly of sets. I can think of 100 other crime films of the period I prefer.

And while my score would be higher because I really loved the photography, the New Mexico location stuff, I have to agree with him. There is barely 78 minutes worth of plot yet this has a running time of over 100 minutes, some scenes are way too long, Montgomery is not an actor I especially enjoy and the girl subplot doesn't pay off in any meaningful way. There were no twists to the plot when it desperately needed one or two and the pacing was off, especially in the first half of the movie or so.

With that said, I was entertained enough and the wonderful photography and atmosphere kept my interest. It's a shame there wasn't a halfway decent plot here because it could have been a classic. If cinema DJ-ing/remixing was a thing, I'd take the plot from the Maltese Falcon and the photography and atmosphere from this movie since they both lack what the other has in spades.

C-

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 12:40:33 PM »

Wasn't this one remade by Don Siegel for TV with Robert Culp. And just like The Killers released theatrically. I have to look for the title.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »

Not that I know of, but if you find anything please post it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »

Found it, and I remembered the remake source correctly. It is that one, called The Hanged Man: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hanged_Man_(1964_film)

I liked it, and I want to re-watch it. Siegels other 2 TV-cinema movies are easier to get.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »

Found it, and I remembered the remake source correctly. It is that one, called The Hanged Man: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hanged_Man_(1964_film)

I liked it, and I want to re-watch it. Siegels other 2 TV-cinema movies are easier to get.
Interesting. Are you suggesting the remake is better than the original?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »

Interesting. Are you suggesting the remake is better than the original?

Why not, but I'm not sure if I ever watched this one here, but Siegel is the better director anyway. His remake of The Killers has some quality too.

It seems then that The Hanged Man is now a pretty unknown film. It was a few times on German TV, but not since the early 80s, or even late 70s.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:55:48 PM by stanton » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM