Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 03:45:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes  (Read 32956 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »

The review gave me hope.

Never ever place too much hope in a review. Remember the guy who wrote the new DYS was the BRD of the year?

Wait till its released. That's what I am gonna do

Starting..... Now!  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

This is encouraging...

Why would the mono mixdown from 2003 require restoration? More likely the original mono.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:44:38 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »

This all reminds me of the difference between the Criterion release of "Heaven's Gate" when compared with the old DVD, although the situation is inversed here.

There was an interesting post on the Home Theater forum forum about it back then:

The thing is, the 35mm print you saw would NOT have been a vintage 35mm print, but rather based off the mid-2000s photochemical restoration performed by John Kirk using less-than-optimal source material. While Zsigmond was involved with that restoration, one has to ask, what was he using to absolutely ascertain that the results they were achieving color-wise were exactly what they got and intended back in 1980? Actual prints of the premiere version from 1980 (of which there were very few) would likely have been faded by the mid-2000s, so I'd have to think he was going off memory while at the same time pushing the less-than-optimal film elements they had access to to the best of their ability. I'm in no way knocking Kirk's heroic work or Zsigmond's intentions against incredible odds back then, but the early-1990s LaserDisc I mentioned was mastered from a vintage color-timed print which would not have faded by the early 1990s. The color on that LD is close to the Criterion version rather than the later very reddish/brown MGM versions that were released on LaserDisc, DVD, and finally broadcast HD. Frankly, I don't find the Criterion look to be "distracting" at all. It's certainly more vivid than the Image LaserDisc that was my go-to version of HEAVEN'S GATE for more than a decade, but it's a lot closer to the look of that LD than the later MGM LaserDisc and DVD transfers, and the broadcast HD version that's currently streaming on Netflix.

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2014, 01:58:06 AM »

Why would the mono mixdown from 2003 require restoration? More likely the original mono.  Cheesy

From criterionforum from some guy who apparently knows things but I have no idea who he is Wink :

"The English mono was restored for this release. For the scenes unique to the extended version, the original mono M & E was combined with the ADR done back in 2002. Sync in those scenes was improved as much impossible."

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »

So this is what we know about this release:

2003 cut but with original mono available

Uncropped image showing more information than ever before

Amazing HD detailing and natural-looking film grain

Yellow

Obviously a Day-One purchase for me. Hmm, UK Steelbook or French Steelbook?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »

Would it have killed them to include lossless mono??

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2014, 05:52:07 AM »

Obviously a Day-One purchase for me. Hmm, UK Steelbook or French Steelbook?
Amazon.fr indicates my BD copy of Le Bon, la brute et le truand is now "Expédié"!!! (I went with the Frogs as they were shipping earliest). So excited!

stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »

Someone report here that the mono track is the same old 5.1 downmix track  Evil

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9217282&postcount=836

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »

Undecided

Does that mean the film doesn't look like Leone wanted considering the same guy who said the original mono is there is also the source for Salvati saying yellow and vintage prints? Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »

When Tuco jumps through the window in his first scene, it sounds like
 the T-1000 throwing Arnold through the glass window at the mall in Terminator 2!!
Oh no!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »

I can't be the only person who is confused and sort of angry that MGM/whoever is trying to pretend like the 2hr 41min never existed. I'd love to have that version restored with the original mono track.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »

I assume the 2:41 version will never be released again. Anyway, isn't it  available on the original DVD (from like 1997?) with the mono? Last time I checked, thatt DVD can be bought used on Amazon for literally pennies. I bought a used one for like 5 or 6 bucks including shipping

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »

Here are all differences between the original Italian version (as released on Blu) and the extended US version, the one which will also be on the new Blu (but less blue and more yellow):

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=624419

Descriptions only in German though.

Some more stuff on the US disc (grotto scene, one shot in the torture scene, the "Sorry Tuco" part), and some alternative material.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »

Someone report here that the mono track is the same old 5.1 downmix track  Evil

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9217282&postcount=836

SON OF A BITCH!!!  Angry

MG(oerge Lucas)M is not a bunch of idiots. They KNOW what the fans want and yet they continue to deliberately screw us over.

This brings me to my previous question above...aside from marketing BS, why would a 2003 downmix require restoration? "You can't polish a turd." - Mr Jenkins (Christine 1983)

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2014, 03:44:41 AM »

Only that we don't know for sure what Leone wanted.

The differences Jordan posted in these screenshots are astonishing:

I don't know which to prefer.

But I'm sure I will be satisfied with the new disc. and when the original German mono audio is on the disc, then I will buy it.

Frankly said, GBU was already a total masterpiece in the 159 min full screen VHS with which I had to live for years. Followed by a heavily cut TV version in 1,85:1. Followed by an uncut TV version with the 174 min (maybe still in 1,85:1). Every DVD is a huge improvement over this, and still how much quality can they add to a film which already was a masterpiece in a fullscreen version which really betrays Leone's visual copmpositions?  
1 %? Or maybe 2 %?

Which version is the third one down?....That looks the best in my eyes...

If you look behind angel eyes in the door way, you can see more detail because it is less brighter than the last one.

and the two pots on angel's right are more defined  than the penultimate screenshot, which is too blue.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:57:11 AM by emmo26 » Logged

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM