Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:26:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes  (Read 31456 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2014, 05:45:31 AM »

Here are all differences between the original Italian version (as released on Blu) and the extended US version, the one which will also be on the new Blu (but less blue and more yellow):

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=624419
But the US version on view is NOT the 2014 release, right?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2014, 05:49:16 AM »

I think it is. The screenshots look more yellow.

But there shouldn't be any runtime difference between the 2009 MGM Blu and the new one anyway.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:52:17 AM by stanton » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »

Well, the skin tones in the US shots look awfully pink to me.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »

Well, the skin tones in the US shots look awfully pink to me.

I got it: I think your screen is flawed.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »

Huh? Wouldn't that make the Italian shots look too pink too? The Italian skin tones are fine.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »

That's the old MGM BD.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »

I assume the 2:41 version will never be released again. Anyway, isn't it  available on the original DVD (from like 1997?) with the mono? Last time I checked, thatt DVD can be bought used on Amazon for literally pennies. I bought a used one for like 5 or 6 bucks including shipping

I think I'm going to do that, and just wait and hope that the original version gets restored at some point. I'm not going to buy the new set.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2014, 04:19:41 AM »

The original version will never be issued on Blu.

My guess is someone will recut the new Blu to fit the original 1998 DVD mono tracks, and that will be it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »

French BD Steelbook in da maison!

Huh, the spine got dinged in transit, or something. You can't really tell unless you run your finger over it, but it sure screws up the thing's "collectability."

The disc seems to be region free! Anyway, I ran it on region B, and then again on region A, and it worked both times. I had some tracking errors, though. There was no problem for the first hour of the film, then during the Carriage of the Spirits scene something happened that seemed like an awkward layer change. Thereafter I got a lot of stop-and-go errors, very brief for the most part, but certainly noticeable. The finale played without a problem though. I'll have to go back and see if the errors occur at the chapter headings. Don't know if this means the stateside release will have problems or not. Maybe its just my player.

Yeah, yeah, the color. OK, it's wrong. You can tell immediately in the first nanosecond of the film, because the title sequence, you may remember, begins with a solid field of white ("beneath" which we will subsequently see the red, blue, green images that are revealed when the white is messed with). I'm pretty sure that white was supposed to be a standard, picket-fence white, but in this version it's more a mayonnaise with a good dollop of mustard added. I tried manipulating my color controls to get it back to white-white, and I did pretty well, but then things like the red in the titles appear maroon (which is wrong). So, there's no help for it, the colors are off.

Having said that, I found them fairly pleasing in most scenes. After watching the new disc, I went back and looked at the previous MGM offering--ugghh, unwatchable, an abomination! (Is there really so much red clay in the soil of Almeria?) The new colors are certainly wrong, but the old colors are wrong-er.  I'm beginning to think that those championing the Italian BD are right.

I don't know if it's improved resolution, or just closely scrutinizing the images several times, but the signage in each of the early towns was easy to spot. You can see that the first three towns are Mesilla, Valverde, and Santa Fe. The dispute over whether the gunsmith's shop is in Buffalo Wallow or back in Valverde can never be resolved--there's no sign.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2014, 07:51:26 PM »

Thanks for the info, DJ. Even if the French version is region-free, if it has these problems with the tracking, I will definitely wait for the American release and hope it doesn't have these problems.
What do you think of the MGM special edition 2003 DVD? And that vs. the 1997 DVD? (I have the Italian BRD but it doesn't have English audio, so) if all the MGM SE BRD and the new BRD have color problems, maybe the DVD is the way to go for GBU?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »

What do you think of the MGM special edition 2003 DVD? And that vs. the 1997 DVD? (I have the Italian BRD but it doesn't have English audio, so) if all the MGM SE BRD and the new BRD have color problems, maybe the DVD is the way to go for GBU?
It's been a long time since I've seen the MGM DVD, but I suspect it, along with all the MGM BD releases, have the horrible pink-and-blue bias that makes me want to retch. Give me the yellow over any of that.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2014, 01:32:23 AM »

I haven't seen it in a while either, but I think the BRD is much redder than the DVD

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »

I ordered the UK amaray last week and just received notification it's on its way. I'll post my playback experience once it's in hand.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »

I see the US version is already available on Amazon http://goo.gl/Pjbavx but for some reason it says "Usually ships within 7 to 10 days." In that case, I guess I'll order it from an individual seller rather than from Amazon itself.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the GBU BRD is available alone; only the boxset with all 3 Dollars films. Considering that ya'll said only the GBU is restored and the FOD and FAFDM are the same as the old BRD I was thinking of maybe just waiting a while till the GBU one was available as a stand-alone disc. But then I was wondering: are the FOD and FAFDM the same as the old MGM BRD or as the old Italian BRD? If the latter, then it makes sense for me to buy the boxset, cuz the Old Italian BRD (which I do own) is not available with English audio; so if I buy the boxset, then I get the old Italian BRD with English audio.

So, the question is, and I'd be mighty appreciative if anyone can answer this: In this new MGM American boxset, are the FOD and FAFDM discs the same thing as the old MGM BRD, or as the old Italian BRD (Ripley's for FOD, Mondo for FAFDM)?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »

So, the question is, and I'd be mighty appreciative if anyone can answer this: In this new MGM American boxset, are the FOD and FAFDM discs the same thing as the old MGM BRD, or as the old Italian BRD (Ripley's for FOD, Mondo for FAFDM)?
I haven't heard anything to indicate they aren't the same as the old MGM BD.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM