Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 09:40:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes  (Read 32133 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »

I haven't heard anything to indicate they aren't the same as the old MGM BD.

in that case, I guess I should just wait for this new version of GBU to be released as a stand-alone disc.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »

Do all 3 movies in the new boxset have identical bonus features as in the previous MGM BRD release of the Dollars films?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »

Also, I am just curious, did anyone hear anything about whether or not John Jerk was involved with the new GBU restoration?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »

I went through the problem area on the new disc again and was able to get through without any tracking errors. I used the Region A setting on my player this time. Last time I watched it set for Region B, so maybe it didn't like that setting for some reason. Anyway, I'm willing to believe that my previous tracking problem was player-specific, and not the fault of a badly authored disc.

Thinking about the colors again, and bearing in mind what the Frogman has said about Delli Colli's lighting, there are a lot of scenes in this new version that are unsatisfactory. Many of the close-ups look absolutely fantastic, but long shots where there are shadows (almost all such shots), dark interiors (all the interiors are dark), and night scenes are fraught with problems. Details, even faces, are obscured or impossible to make out. Apparently, the yellow-ing has darkened everything.

Btw (and maybe we've covered this before), you can easily tell which interior scenes were done on location and which were done in the studio. If there are flies in the scene: location. No flies: studio. So, for example, the room where Blondie has to quickly assemble his gun to save his life: no flies, studio. The room where a convalescing Blondie is being attended by a friendship-feigning Tuco: a big whopper of a fly lands on Blondie's face, location. Spot-the-flies is a fun game you can play throughout the movie.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »

Interesting post on the SWDB forum:

As for OUATITW, from what I have understood a lot of DVDs used to have incorrect colors, and some of them on purpose. Something about the equipment they were watched on and how they needed to POP from the screen or something. And I think DVD can't even present all the colors as accurately as Blu-Ray.

For example Mad Max 2 on DVD was quite golden/brown and the Blu-Ray (which according to some Mad Max experts is how the actual film prints look) looks quite different: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=2453&disc2=2448&cap1=22618&cap2=22576&art=full&image=0&hd_multiID=252&action=1&lossless=#vergleich (just put the mouse cursor over the image to switch between the Blu and DVD).

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2014, 05:06:09 PM »

I just saw there's also a guy at blu-ray.com who insists the Mad Max 2 Blu looks wrong so who knows.  Grin

But still, I wouldn't trust DVDs at all as a source for correct colors.

But what can we trust...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:14:44 PM by Sundance » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

I just received the UK amaray - as well as the steelbook, I guess I forgot to cancel my pre-order - and I have no playback issues. The UK BD is region free.

DJ summed it up well. A majority of scenes are problematic and yet some look great. Apparently a general color correction can scale back the excessive yellow for those inclined to create their own regraded BD. For my project I'm going to move forward with regrading the 4K and then decide if it's worth using over the Mondo.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »

H264 video is notoriously hard to regrade (their is actually very few color information in that codec).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »

H264 video is notoriously hard to regrade (their is actually very few color information in that codec).

KingKong650/KK650 has regraded some screenshots and it's a significant improvement. See links below:

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/74870
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75341
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75342
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75825
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75947

I will try to do my best given the sources and tools available to me.

*EDIT: Deleted link that was not color regraded 4K comparison.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:07:22 AM by Lil Brutto » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2014, 03:12:07 AM »

Looks good!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2014, 04:56:18 AM »

So you can confirm that the new GBU is available as a stand-alone disc (i.e. not in a boxset with the re-issued FOD and FAFDM) on both the UK BRD and the French steelbook BRD; and both are definitely region-free?
If that is confirmed, then I will definitely buy one of those, rather than getting the American MGM version which has to be bought in a boxset with the re-issued FOD and FAFDM.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »

I can only confirm that the UK steelbook is region free. I don't know about the French steelbook.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »

The French steelbook (which I own) appears to be region free. It plays on both Region A and Region B settings on my player.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »

If that is confirmed, then I will definitely buy one of those, rather than getting the American MGM version which has to be bought in a boxset with the re-issued FOD and FAFDM.
Even if the box set is cheaper?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »

The French steelbook (which I own) appears to be region free. It plays on both Region A and Region B settings on my player.

but you had problems with it, didn't you?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM