Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 05:23:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special edition DVD and Blu Ray -- Breakdown of Restored Scenes  (Read 32920 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »

The main thing I get from Angel Eyes' sudden appearance at the camp is that Blondie and Tuco are in trouble. Forgot plot concerns.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »

I really don't know anything about audio and therefore my comments here have stuck to picture quality. My understanding is that the original English mono is available on the dvd and BR . . .
Nope. http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11160.0

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »

But the old dvd of the 161MV has the original mono audio, correct? As well as the proper gunshots, and the deleted scenes as special features with Italian dub and English subtitles. And it's dirt cheap (I bought it used on eBay, I think it was like 3 dollars). So that disc should satisfy everyone! Use the BR for the terrific Frayling commentary and extra features, and the old dvd for the movie   Smiley

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:34:33 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »

Sounds fair to me. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »

At least the "mono" version allows you to watch it without the audio jumping around based on the speaker's profile relative to the camera.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »

The main thing I get from Angel Eyes' sudden appearance at the camp is that Blondie and Tuco are in trouble. Forgot plot concerns.

That too, of course ...

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 08:17:16 AM »

The gun shop scene is surely absolutely unimportant for the film's narrative (except for those of course who may say without this scene we do not know where Tuco got his gun Wink ), but it is a hell of a scene, it is Leone at his best for both directing and storytelling (within that scene). It is exactly such a scene which shows Leone's mastership, and which shows how different his films were back then.
And then again the loss of this scene would maybe damage the film's rhythm considerably.

D&d I can't believe that you would sacrifice such an essential Leone scene.

The gun shop scene is important...I dont think people watching the film would have even thought about where Tuco got his gun from...they would assume he got it from somewhere in the town...what is important is that it shows Tuco to be as good or maybe almost as good with a gun as Angel eyes and Blondie, making the final Trio scene even more exciting...I seem to remember first thinking..."this should be bloody good" when they moved into the centre circle......

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »

I dont think people watching the film would have even thought about where Tuco got his gun from...they would assume he got it from somewhere in the town...

Hmm ... that was obviously only a joke from me ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

one thing about Westerns, no matter how broke someone is in one scene, by the next scene he always somehow manages to have a horse, a gun, and a gun belt full of bullets (not that he needs 'em cuz nobody ever reloads; those 6 bullets in the chamber last forever  Wink) Then again, Tuco doesn't have a gun belt, he keeps his gun in his pocket on a string around his neck. I guess he must keep his bullets in his other pocket.... though we never see 'em   Wink

Now writing all this shit starts me thinking: when Tuco is taken prisoner, he obviously doesn't have a gun anymore; then when he jumps off the train, he tries breaking his handcuffs with Wallace's pistol but uis unable to, and throws the pistol away in frustration. Then when he cuts loose and jumps onto the next train, he somehow has a pistol by the time he arrives in the next town and goes to take a bath... and somehow he also has the string that he used for his pistol before he was taken prisoner! And not only that, but he must have somehow gotten ahold of the same pistol he had before, cuz Blondie recognized that it was Tuco firing just by the sound of the pistol! Well, I'd sure like to know how Tuco got ahold of that shit by the time he reached he went to take a bath in the bombed out hotel???

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »

re: the picture quality of the blu ray: I just noticed that DVD Beaver only shows the Italian Blu Ray disc http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_.htm cuz he just says that he assumes it will look exactly like the American BR. I haven't seen any BR version besides the American, but I've read some of you here who believe the Italian BR is much better, and if that's correct, then maybe you should contact Beaver and tell him to get his shit together and actually make a comparison with the American BR cuz it is NOT the same as the Italian BR?
(btw, from the screen caps and Tooze's comments, it looks like the faces on that Italian BR are also very red (just as they are on the American BR)

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »

Of course all the confiscated weaopns were on that train that Tuco jumped on, duh !!!

Besides: Blondie recognizes the cadence of Tuco's firing.  Five shots, then one.

Of course, I always felt that since Tuco knew so much about pistols, that he could've gotten Wallace's to work.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »

same thing with TMWNN in FOD: he is in hiding and stuck in the mine shaft, in a town with virtually no commerce or gun shops, yet somehow he has an endless supply of bullets  Grin

that's part of the "language of the Western" -- horses, guns, and bullets are always magically "there," with no questions asked  Wink

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:44:17 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »

one thing about Westerns, no matter how broke someone is in one scene, by the next scene he always somehow manages to have a horse, a gun, and a gun belt full of bullets (not that he needs 'em cuz nobody ever reloads; those 6 bullets in the chamber last forever  Wink) Then again, Tuco doesn't have a gun belt, he keeps his gun in his pocket on a string around his neck. I guess he must keep his bullets in his other pocket.... though we never see 'em   Wink

Now writing all this shit starts me thinking: when Tuco is taken prisoner, he obviously doesn't have a gun anymore; then when he jumps off the train, he tries breaking his handcuffs with Wallace's pistol but uis unable to, and throws the pistol away in frustration. Then when he cuts loose and jumps onto the next train, he somehow has a pistol by the time he arrives in the next town and goes to take a bath... and somehow he also has the string that he used for his pistol before he was taken prisoner! And not only that, but he must have somehow gotten ahold of the same pistol he had before, cuz Blondie recognized that it was Tuco firing just by the sound of the pistol! Well, I'd sure like to know how Tuco got ahold of that shit by the time he reached he went to take a bath in the bombed out hotel???

You must never have read the Timeline thread or the Every Gun Makes its own Tune thread, or you'd know the answers to your questions.  Roll Eyes

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »

You must never have read the Timeline thread or the Every Gun Makes its own Tune thread, or you'd know the answers to your questions.  Roll Eyes

I read parts of the former but have never seen the latter  Roll Eyes

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »

I read parts of the former but have never seen the latter  Roll Eyes

Its under one of the Gun threads

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM