Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:31:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Italian bluray muxed with english audio
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Italian bluray muxed with english audio  (Read 26251 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »

Does anyone have any contact info for LeoneNut?

I've always been looking to buy certain fan edits of Leone's movies. I don't really have much technological expertise or equipment and therefore can't make these dvd edits myself, but I am happy to pay for them if anyone can sell me the fan edits I am looking for.

If anyone here is interested in selling edited dvd's, or if know someone who sells them, please PM me with info, so we can discuss what I am looking for.

Thanks!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »

Fan edits are not meant to be sold but I guess you could reimburse someone with LeoneNut's edits in hand for the cost of the DVDs and postage. Just a heads up, the discs are PAL, region free so you'll need a DVD player that can play them (e.g. Oppo).

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »

Fan edits are not meant to be sold but I guess you could reimburse someone with LeoneNut's edits in hand for the cost of the DVDs and postage. Just a heads up, the discs are PAL, region free so you'll need a DVD player that can play them (e.g. Oppo).

I know the fan edits aren't done as a business, but  could just pay a few bucks for cost of disc, shipping, and the hassle. (I am a very big believer in intellectual property rights and would never copy something to just to save money on it; it's just that it's unavailable any other way, so I don't think it's dishonest. It's like paying someone for a copy of a cd that hasn't been issued for years. I am only buying an unofficial copy cuz it's unavailable any other way).

Anyway, I have a Samsung Blu Ray player I bought here in New York, so i guess it's Region A? I am sure there are some people out there who can sell me fan edits with region free dvd's... Please PM me  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »

You need a region free (North America is region 1) DVD player with a built-in PAL/NTSC converter. You might be able to unlock your Samsung (i.e. make it region free) but it probably cannot convert a PAL signal to NTSC but I can't confirm this. You'll have to check.

In this case, the discs are region free (so no issue there) but you still won't be able to play them without a PAL/NTSC converter.

I got an Oppo DV-971H that can play everything. You can get them for around $50 on eBay.

Alternatively, you could settle for watching them on your computer.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:09:11 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »

But if the LeoneNut discs are already region free every DVD player should play them.

I don't know if a NTSC player has problems with a Pal disc (never heard about a Pal to NTSC converter for DVDs), but a Pal player has no problem with any NTSC disc. Only problem is the regional code. I can't make my player region free, but for the majority it is no problem.
And then there is Any DVD, a program with which I can burn from every Region
locked DVD a code free copy. That's the way I'm watching now my Val Lewton box. In that case even without any loss of quality as the individual films have less than 4,7 MB.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

If either an NTSC DVD player or a Blu-ray player doesn't have the abiltiy to convert a PAL signal, all you will get is the audio without a picture.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »

you think that fan-edit-authors like LeoneNut who are so hardcore and have all this equipment don't have region-free dvd's??

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »

Sup people. I don't know if you remember but a long time ago we had a discussion about how the italian bluray looks much better than the mgm release(some might disagree).

Is the Italian Blu Ray the "Fox Pathe Europa Region Free" that Beaver discusses on this page? http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_.htm
As Beaver's comments and screencaps indicate, the "skin tones are VERY red" in that Blu Ray. So i don't know why that is considered so great.

And that Beaver page only reviews that Fox Pathe Europa blu ray disc cuz Gary Tooze says (in the first paragraph of the Comments section that he is "fairly certain that it will be the same transfer as on the US Blu Ray. We will compare but I'm not expecting any surprises." Well, if the U.S. version is different, someone who is part of Tooze's online group should contact him and tell him that he needs to review the American Blu Ray separately.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:12:47 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »

Is the Italian Blu Ray the "Fox Pathe Europa Region Free" that Beaver discusses on this page? http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_.htm
As Beaver's comments and screencaps indicate, the "skin tones are VERY red" in that Blu Ray. So i don't know why that is considered so great.

No. The Italian BD case looks like this: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=108239

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »

you think that fan-edit-authors like LeoneNut who are so hardcore and have all this equipment don't have region-free dvd's??

Region code and PAL/NTSC are independent factors.

Lifted from wikipedia:

"In general, it is easier for consumers in PAL/SECAM countries to view NTSC DVDs than vice versa. Almost all DVD players sold in PAL/SECAM countries are capable of playing both kinds of discs, and most modern PAL TVs can handle the converted signal. However, most NTSC players cannot play PAL discs, and most NTSC TVs do not accept 576i video signals as used on PAL/SECAM DVDs. Those in NTSC countries, such as in North America, generally require both a region-free, multi-standard player and a multi-standard television to view PAL discs, or a converter box, whereas those in PAL countries generally require only a region-free player. There are also differences in pixel aspect ratio (720 480 vs. 720 576 with the same image aspect ratio) and display frame rate (29.97 vs. 25). Again, NTSC discs can be played on most DVD systems worldwide,[citation needed] while PAL discs play on very few players outside of PAL/SECAM countries.[9]"

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 03:07:40 AM »

Region code and PAL/NTSC are independent factors.

Lifted from wikipedia:

"In general, it is easier for consumers in PAL/SECAM countries to view NTSC DVDs than vice versa. Almost all DVD players sold in PAL/SECAM countries are capable of playing both kinds of discs, and most modern PAL TVs can handle the converted signal. However, most NTSC players cannot play PAL discs, and most NTSC TVs do not accept 576i video signals as used on PAL/SECAM DVDs. Those in NTSC countries, such as in North America, generally require both a region-free, multi-standard player and a multi-standard television to view PAL discs, or a converter box, whereas those in PAL countries generally require only a region-free player. There are also differences in pixel aspect ratio (720 480 vs. 720 576 with the same image aspect ratio) and display frame rate (29.97 vs. 25). Again, NTSC discs can be played on most DVD systems worldwide,[citation needed] while PAL discs play on very few players outside of PAL/SECAM countries.[9]"

Imteresting

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 03:30:40 AM »

No. The Italian BD case looks like this: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=108239

then one of you with connections to Beaver should contact them and tell them to make a proper review of all the BR's for GBU; as it is, the only BR that is mentioned and reviewed is the Fox Pathe Europa one

btw Honest Farmer, is your profile picture of Tuco's face from the Socorro sequence in the French GBU trailer -- at 00:51 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_V-wR4VrAA ?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:35:37 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »

btw Honest Farmer, is your profile picture of Tuco's face from the Socorro sequence in the French GBU trailer -- at 00:51 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_V-wR4VrAA ?

Yes.  Cool

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »

my fan edit request:

pt I: MGM version with the SEDVD scene of Angel Eyes visiting the fort inserted in its proper place (if mono sound track is available in english, use that)
ptII. back to the MGM version until the Blondie and Tuco are captured before the battle for Langston Bridge. Switch to the sedvd for the remainder of the film

i will trade a COMPLETE score cd of the music score from GBU for a copy, I also have a complete FAFDM score.
 Afro
bruce

ps i  would also enjoy hearing the Frayling commentary Smiley

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:10:36 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 05:52:42 AM »

my ideal version of GBU is:

Scenes: All of the scenes in the Special Edition, with the following 2 changes: the Cave scene should be deleted; and the full length Beating/Story of a Soldier Scene should be used.

Audio: the original English mono for all the scenes in the 161 minute version; for the restored scenes, I'd just use the SE audio.
I am definitely interested in certain fan edits of Leone movies, though I have neither the technology nor the knowledge require to make 'em myself. If anyone is interested in making and selling edits for me, please PM me Afro

------

@uncknown: the Frayling GBU commentary is on the MGM Blu Ray disc. Do you not have a blu ray player?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:54:41 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM