Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:25:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  This has always confused me...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This has always confused me...  (Read 6349 times)
BDR529
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2003, 01:42:52 PM »

And I can't figure out what I'm missing.  After Blondie and Tuco are caputured by Confederates and taken to the POW camp, they're standing in line, Wallace reading the roll.  He gets to "Bill Carson", Tuco and Blondie notice Angel Eyes (who suddenly sounds interested), and Blondie says "You better be Bill Carson."

A. Why is Carson's name on the list?
B. Why does Tuco assume the name? (Except to make the rest of the film make sense, of course.)
C. What name does Blondie assume?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 03:42:45 PM »

Carson's name is on the list because Maria told Angel Eyes that that was the name the man with the stolen cash box was going under.

Wallace is calling out the name because of the snuff box found on Tuco from the search of the prisoners.

Blondie tells Tuco to say he's Bill Carson because he has some idea that Angel Eyes is after him.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Shobary
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 11:56:32 AM »

A. Snuff box
B. Tuco is wanted and if he would use his own name he would be hung. Since Bill Carson is not responding why not take his name?
C. Unanswerable

Chasman
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 06:00:54 AM »

Tuco identifying himself as "Bill Carson" doesn't really make any sense unless you view it as Blondie taking advantage of Tuco's stupidity. Since it becomes obvious a little later that Angel Eyes and Tuco know each other, what would Tuco gain stepping forward and bringing attention to himself? It's obvious he's hoping Angel Eyes doesn't recognize him and he certainly doesn't see Angel Eyes at this point as an "old friend". I think Blondie told Tuco to do this to prevent Wallace and others from searching the group for the missing Bill Carson, which may have revealed his own presence to Angel Eyes, someone he obviously doesn't want to be recognized by. That Blondie has to prompt Tuco to do this suggests Tuco never intended to call himself Bill Carson to begin with. It's possible, because they were picked up on the road, that nobody bothered to ask them their names or, if they did give a name, add them to the list with the other prisoners' names. They would, however, have had all their possessions confiscated, including the snuff box with Bill Carson's name in it. But of course, Tuco calling attention to himself in front of Angel Eyes also calls attention to Blondie , who is standing next to him. So Blondie's strategy,  if we accept this scenario, actually backfires. They would have been better off having Wallace and others search for Bill Carson than have both been recognized by Angel Eyes. As "Nobody" would later  teach Jack Beauragard in MY NAME IS NOBODY, "When you're up to your nose in sh*t, keep your mouth shut."

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 12:41:31 PM »

Oh yea, Blondie is taking advantage of Tuco no doubt, but at that point he doesn't know that Angel Eyes knows Tuco and also knows about the cash box.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Chasman
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2003, 03:27:50 PM »

Oh yea, Blondie is taking advantage of Tuco no doubt, but at that point he doesn't know that Angel Eyes knows Tuco and also knows about the cash box.

It's Tuco who says something like "Hey, Blondie, isn't that Angel Eyes?" and Blondie replies "Yeah" and tells him maybe he should be Bill Carson.  Doesn't it sound at this point like they've both had some dealings with Angel Eyes before, possibly together?  Or at least they're aware of each other's dealings? It does to me. I'll offer a revised scenario: Blondie suggests that  Tuco be Bill Carson,  hoping Tuco will just say "Present" and the role call will just go on and Angel Eyes won't notice them. But then Tuco overdoes it and draws Angel Eyes attention.  So in this case, it's Tuco who messes things up.  Blondie doesn't know what Angel Eyes is up to, but he knows enough to be suspicious and that it might be about the gold, to the point that when Angel Eyes tells him he knows the name of the cemetary, Blondie isn't the least surprised.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2003, 03:36:54 PM by Chasman » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2003, 05:08:01 AM »

Chasman, you're right, I forgot about that line of Tuco's, I was just going from memory.

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 03:49:30 AM »

And I can't figure out what I'm missing.  After Blondie and Tuco are caputured by Confederates and taken to the POW camp, they're standing in line, Wallace reading the roll.  He gets to "Bill Carson", Tuco and Blondie notice Angel Eyes (who suddenly sounds interested), and Blondie says "You better be Bill Carson."

B. Why does Tuco assume the name? (Except to make the rest of the film make sense, of course.)

Hello BDR529, I just read now your questions. May be it's too late to answer you. I recently bought a dvd with some missing scenes.
I think that one of these could be provide an explaination:
Before to join the Covent , when TUCO arrived in a village and met a troop of confederate soldiers he presented himself as Sergent Bill Carson and show papers to proove it.
As he kept Bill Carson's uniform and black one-eyed bandana after the Covent scenes, he met powdered Nordist Soldiers AND I SUPPOSE HE MADE THE SAME LIES.
So he was registered in the P.O.W camp as Bill Carson and Sergent Wallace simply called the new prisoners names  .
Remember the punishment for people wearing  stolen uniforms and remember that partisans whithout regular uniform were immediately killed  !

By the way it's seems that many GBU missing scenes were realized only to provide us explainations.
For example when SENTENZA visited a rebel Fort,  this missing scene explains why SENTENZA joint the POW camp
Another example the first meeting with Blondie and SENTENZA gang explains why they arrives together in the destroyed town .        

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
robertjm
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 10:53:28 PM »

He wasn't captured by the Confederates. He was captured by the Union Army! Bill Carson's name was called because I guess he gave that name when he was captured. Why did he assume it? I guess because he was in Carson's uniform and because Clint told him?Blondie didn't assume a name. Remember he's the "Man with No Name!"

And I can't figure out what I'm missing.  After Blondie and Tuco are caputured by Confederates and taken to the POW camp,... they're standing in line, Wallace reading the roll.  He gets to "Bill Carson", Tuco and Blondie notice Angel Eyes (who suddenly sounds interested), and Blondie says "You better be Bill Carson."

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 04:51:49 AM »

Also remember the snuff box had Bill Carsons name in it , and that Angel Eyes and his men were looting the prisoners possessions.

KERMIT
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 09:31:24 PM »

great observation joe.  blondie may be taking advantage of tuco but when he hears angel eyes tell wallace  "GIVE THESE TWO GOOD TREATMENT" there's a weary
look in blondies eyes.  

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2003, 04:54:23 AM »

The only caveat to all this is the fact that Bill Carson was also an asumed name, Baker must have stolen Carson's identity, which would explain the snuff box.

Millions in Hand
Chicken Thief

The next Dollars Movie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 07:18:27 PM »

Ok, I read through mots of the replies, and I would have to say that Chasman is pretty much right on the money.

As soon as they both see Angel Eyes, Blondie knows right away that Angel Eyes is looking for the gold. Think about it, Blondie is very very smart. He knew he was in a Union Army base, and knew that Carson was in a wagon full of Confederates. He put those together, and knew that Angel Eyes was waiting for the name to be called out.

Thats why he turns around right away, then Blondie and Tuco see him.  Blondie made the connection, and figured he'd be better off having Tuco take Carsons name, since Angel Eyes is looking for Carson. But what Blondie didnt know was, earlier, Angel Eyes saw Blondie, the Guardian Angel for Tuco. So when he told Wallace to take good care of both of them, Blondie's plan to have Tuco take one for the team, turned more into a "Oh great."

Working on a good quote, check back later.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 09:27:33 PM »

Angel Eyes also knew that Bill Carson lost an eye.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM