Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 08:38:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Garde Vue (1981)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Garde Vue (1981)  (Read 1934 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »

Good thriller shot almost completely in a room. That doesn't help to vivify any movie but as the movie is not very long you can put up with it. Serrault and Ventura are excellent as usual, especially the first. Still some plot turns (especially those concerning Romy Schneider's character) remains quite dubious. Anyway, 7\10.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »

Apparently remade in 2000 with Hackman and Freeman as Under Suspicion. Haven't seen either . . . and probably never will.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

And amazing dialogues. That's the whole point of the movie: watching great actors telling fascinating dialogues.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »

And amazing dialogues. That's the whole point of the movie: watching great actors telling fascinating dialogues.

Sorry, but I don't think Audiard is at his best here as in Tontons or Pacha. The dialogues are effective but not memorable. Maybe because there's no argot.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »

Apparently remade in 2000 with Hackman and Freeman as Under Suspicion. Haven't seen either . . . and probably never will.

I won't see the remake, granted.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

I won't see the remake, granted.

But I'll try to read the book:

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

Sorry, but I don't think Audiard is at his best here as in Tontons or Pacha. The dialogues are effective but not memorable. Maybe because there's no argot.

I think it's much better than his comedy. I'm not really impressed by his work in Tontons and the like: we had writers at the time who could do exactly the same, but about 1000 times better (Frederique Dard). I'm not saying it was not good, I'm saying it was unimpressive. I feel like i could imitate it (I'm not saying I could have done it at the time, be the first one...). The dialogues of Garde A Vue, or F.Dard's books, it's another story. I cannot do that.

But the dialogues of Garde A Vue may be that good only because of the characters who tell them. Which means the book is responsible for it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:06:20 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

I think it's much better than his comedy. I'm not really impressed by his work in Tontons and the like: we had writers at the time who could do exactly the same, but about 1000 times better (Frederique Dard). I'm not saying it was not good, I'm saying it was unimpressive. I feel like i could imitate it (I'm not saying I could have done it at the time, be the first one...). The dialogues of Garde A Vue, or F.Dard's books, it's another story. I cannot do that.

But the dialogues of Garde A Vue may be that good only because of the characters who tell them. Which means the book is responsible for it.

I read all of the Sanantonio's when a was a teenager, though in translation (but it wasn't so distant form the original). And I can be considered a Dard fan: even (or especially) of his non_San novels. Now I can't remember such a great career of Dard in cinema, though some movies were based on some of his non-Sanantonio novels. You forget that Tontons had Simonin's book basis, that Simonin was considered THE  master by Dard (and rightly so: read what he writes about Simonin's Hotu's trilogy) and I think that Audiard's dialogues should be read with Simonin in mind, rather than Dard. If you never read Simonin, do. I think the dialogues in GAV are not that effective: some of the repartees you can see them coming (at least I did) and the rest wasn't so original, for me. Actually the movie made me think of the Connery's vehicle I reviewed some time ago with a similar theme shot a decade before. But you're right: we should read the novel and make comparisons.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM