Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:30:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tight Spot (1955)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tight Spot (1955)  (Read 2726 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:42:46 AM »

Directed by Phil Karlson with Ginger Rogers, Edward G. Robinson, Brian Keith, and Lorne Greene. Another not very Noir noir, listed on IMDb & in Shelby's book as noir, but not in the First Edition of Silver and Ward's Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style. The story takes place for the most part in a hotel room and add to that almost 80% of it goes by before it gets interesting. Ginger Rogers is miscast opposite Brian Kieth, she looks a bit too frumpy and long in the tooth for the part she is attempting to portray, sort of looks like an old Doris Day in this. Janet Leigh, Julie London, Monroe, or any of the staple Noir Femmes Fatales, Totter, Keyes, Windsor, would have been better eye candy. She could easily have pulled it off 10 years earlier prbably.

Story is, witnesses are being bumped off before they can testify against mobster Benjamin Costain (Greene) Vince Striker (Kieth) is assigned to guard Sherry Conley (Rogers), Edward G. plays the DA.

Kieth & Greene confrontation

From an IMDber who gives a bit more ;-)

A competent vehicle for Ginger Rogers, with a solid performance by Edward G. Robinson, 15 March 2008

Author: Terrell-4 from San Antonio, Texas
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

Tight Spot has a potentially taut story going for it, as well as some noirish photography, a skilled performance by Edward G. Robinson and a solid, conflicted performance by Brian Keith. Unfortunately, it also is primarily a vehicle for a big star who was facing age and a new generation of movie goers. The film also was adapted from a stage play. Much of the movie feels declarative, with far too many opportunities for Ginger Rogers to "act."

A key witness who can send vicious crime boss Benjamin Costain (Lorne Greene) into the slammer and then have him deported is shot down on Gotham's courtroom steps. Government lawyer Lloyd Hallet (Edward G. Robinson) discovers another possible witness who could incriminate Costain if she'll testify. She's Sherry Conley (Ginger Rogers), a feisty, smart-mouth con who is in prison doing a five-year term for a crime she says she had nothing to do with. Hallet pulls her out of prison and installs her in a fancy hotel. He assigns police detective Vince Slater (Brian Keith) and a team of officers to protect her. And then he tries to convince her to testify against Costain. He promises to cancel the rest of her sentence. He describes how bad a guy Costain is. He appeals to her sense of justice. But Sherry knows the other witness was gunned down. She's tough and no one's patsy. While this is going on, Costain has been busy. He's learned which hotel she's at, even the room. We know anyone staying in 2409 at the St. Charles Hotel is going to be in for an upsetting night. The hotel's lobby is dark and lonely. The hallways are empty and seem to go on forever. Sherry and Vince, who initially is tense and disdainful toward her, begin to warm up to each other. We learn Sherry isn't the playgirl her reputation would have us believe. When the first assassination attempt takes place, windows are smashed, a gunman almost breaks in and bullets go flying. Sherry and a police woman she has come to like are wounded, the woman seriously. It takes a death to convince Sherry that a man as ruthless as Costain must be put away. Despite another assassination attempt, we last see her sitting in the witness box, staring at Costain, as Hallet begins his questions.

Rogers was 44 when she made this movie. She looks great but it's obvious she's playing below her age. She also has a tendency to chew the scenery. Her wise-guy persona simply doesn't ring true. We know it's Ginger Rogers acting. There are far too many opportunities for her to have dramatic moments...Sherry telling us about herself...Sherry and her sister arguing...Sherry describing her life when she was just 16. None of it seems authentic. The movie is a vehicle for an aging star who could still command above-the-title roles, but where those roles were more and more often in second-rate movies.

Rogers might make us a little uncomfortable, but Edward G. Robinson made me really sad. Here was this great actor, placed unfairly and unofficially on the Hollywood blacklist at the start of the Fifties, unable to get roles worthy of him in first-rate films, having to take work in stuff like this. Remember films of his like Vice Squad, The Big Leaguer, The Glass Web and Black Tuesday? Didn't think you did. They were all scarcely more than programmers made by Hollywood journeymen. They were all from this period. Robinson, as far as I'm concerned, never turned in a bad performance despite all this. With Tight Spot he effortlessly dominates all the scenes he's in. He doesn't try to steal any glory from Rogers, but it is his performance which seems the most authentic and interesting.

Tight Spot is at best a competent film tailored to the needs of Ginger Rogers. It's not bad; it's just workmanlike. If you like old films, Tight Spot may be worth a watch.

rent 6/10

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:08:37 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »

Tight Spot played on TCM a while ago; I dvr'd it and just got around to watching it.

And I loved it  Smiley  8.5/10

The cast was terrific. I loved Ginger Rogers here. I can understand why some people may feel parts were a bit over the top, but overall, I really enjoyed her performance. Brian Keith was really good as well, and Edward G. Robinson has never failed to deliver a great performance [although in this role, he's basically playing a straight good-guy prosecutor trying to convince a witness to testify, so it's not exactly the sort of role that brings out the full range of Robinson's talents, but he was great at whatever he did].
The final scene wasn't handled too well, although the scene before that, in which the real drama occurs, was handled expertly.

I had great fun with this one  Afro

HOWEVER, it must be noted, there is something really, really strange about Ginger Rogers's hairdo here http://filmfanatic.org/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Tight-Spot-Haircut.png which has inspired some extended discussion on the IMDb boards.

Tight Spot is available on dvd in the Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=364905&ecid=5511&pa=CSE-FGL&CAWELAID=1103203742&cagpspn=pla
 I've the five titles in that set, the only other movie I have seen (also on TCM) is The Burglar, which I also gave an 8.5/10  Afro

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:27:02 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:07:01 AM »

I thought Rogers was miscast, if it had been any other Noir gal staple, Scott, Windsor, Totter, Hayward, Gardner, Greer, Keyes, Graham, etc., etc. it would have worked better, Rodgers just vibes too old.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »

well I never watched any of the early musicals she was famous for; in fact, I've only seen one other film of hers (and it was some late film that nobody ever heard of and had a low rating on IMDB). So, I wasn't looking at her as THE Ginger Rogers, and I allowed her performance to act on its own. That's one good thing about not being familiar with an actress.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM