Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:52:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate the Last CD You Listened To
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate the Last CD You Listened To  (Read 90915 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 10, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »

Pearl Jam - Ten
10/10. Favorite band of all time, favorite album of all time.

Pearl Jam - Vs.
9.5/10

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
7.5/10

Pearl Jam - No Code
8.5/10. By far their most underrated album. "Off He Goes" is one of their greatest tracks.

Pearl Jam - Yield
4/10. Three or four great tracks but other than that, the only bad album they've done.

Pearl Jam - Lost Dogs
8/10. A collection of unreleased tracks and B-sides. A couple missteps on the first disc but otherwise an excellent extension of their Ten/Vs/Vitalogy stuff.

Finally seeing them live in October. Been having a marathon.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:40:44 AM by rrpower » Logged
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »

Yeah, Yield is pretty much crap.

How do you find their latest stuff: the eponymous album and Backspacer? I had the former in heavy playing when it came out.

I would have hard time choosing my favorite album of theirs but it would be either Ten or Vs.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 10, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »

Lately, I've been listening a lot to the Red River score http://www.amazon.com/Red-River-Film-Music-Classics/dp/B0007ACVJQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1373494217&sr=1-3&keywords=red+river by William Stromberg and the Moscow Symphony Choir and Orchestra. No cd has ever been released of Tiomkin's original score for the movie (I don't know if a record was ever released of it, but anyway,) Stromberg recorded a full score, and it is simply magnificent. Amazing.

IMO, the Red River score is one of the two greatest of any AW ever - the other is Rio Bravo, which, of course, re-works some of the music from Red River.

Anyway, this CD is awesome. I bought the physical cd (must have been either on eBay or Amazon), and the album is also available for download on iTunes.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 10, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »

Yeah, Yield is pretty much crap.

How do you find their latest stuff: the eponymous album and Backspacer? I had the former in heavy playing when it came out.

I would have hard time choosing my favorite album of theirs but it would be either Ten or Vs.

I think their self-titled is excellent. Especially the final 3 tracks. I would put Backspacer as their second worst, though still a good album. Mike McReady says that their next album is "much better" than Backspacer (which I'm 99% sure is being officially announced tomorrow judging from the band's Facebook posts and website countdown).

I listened through Binaural again today. If I were to rate all their post-Yield records:

Binaural - 7.5/10 (usually considered their worst...far from it)
Riot Act - 8 or 8.5/10 (No Code level underrated)
Pearl Jam - 8/10
Backspacer - 6.5/10

Their most recent single, Ole, is headache-inducing bad IMO. I hope their new album has nothing like it.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 07, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt
8.5/10 (at least). One of their best albums.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM