Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:16:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Criterion to stop releasing dual format
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Criterion to stop releasing dual format  (Read 471 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »

starting in September:

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3195-re-format?utm_source=PourOver&utm_medium=App.net+Broadcast&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheCriterionCollection-TheCurrent+(The+Current)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »

interesting.

if the dual format didn't raise the price of the package beyond what the price was for a BRD, then the dual format is preferable for me. I mean, the little bit of extra space the package takes up cuz of the dvd's aren't a big deal.

But seriously, for those people who are such big movie fans that they like purchasing the Criterion packages, why don't they get BRD players already? I really don't mean to sound snobby, and I am really not the type of person that is usually at the forefront of technology, but in 2014, BR players are dirt cheap, cheaper than DVD players were a few years ago. You can get BR Players for like $50. The BRD's are still more expensive than DVD's, but this difference is not so great with non-Criterion discs; many non-Criterion BRD's can be purchased for around $12 or so on Amazon or Amazon Marketplace. I guess if someone is mostly watching on a computer, I understand, because many computers (and I think almost all laptops) do not yet come with BRD players built in. But for those who watch at home, IMO upgrading isn't really a matter of money, but a matter of adapting; sometimes, it's simply not easy to get people to change.

Bottom line, IMO: I didn't have much of a need for the DVD's, but if the price of the combo package was the same as the price of a stand-alone BRD, then of course the combo package is better. If we are really losing the combo package because people complained about it taking up too much space, then shame on those whiners. Even for someone like me who has upgraded to BRD, there is still some use for DVD, like if I am traveling somewhere and watching on a laptop. So to lose the combo package cuz people whine about the tiny amount of space the extra discs take up is a shame.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM