Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 15, 2018, 04:22:29 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Brit Noir: Stolen Assignment (1955)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Brit Noir: Stolen Assignment (1955)  ( 197 )
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

« : December 25, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone!

Watched on Network DVD 6

Making plans for Christmas Eve,I started making plans to get a film to watch from UK DVD company Network to watch with my dad on the day. Reading old issues of UK film mag Empire,I found a review for a Film Noir/Caper from the label directed by future Hammer Horror legend Terence Fisher, which led to me taking the assignment.

The plot:

Focusing on his painting, artist Henry Crossley waves goodbye to his wife as she goes to catch a train to spend a week with her aunt. The next day Crossley gets a call,revealing his wife never arrived at the station, and is currently missing. Learning of the case, newspaper reporters Mike Billings and Jenny Drew grab an exclusive deal to report on the case. As the police report they have found a body,Billings and Drew start picking up the whispers in town about Crossley.

View on the film:

Treating the assignment with dignity, Network deliver a very good transfer,with the image only having a few specs of dirt,and the soundtrack being crisp. Made in the final phase of his pre Gothic Horror era, director Terence Fisher stylishly displays flourishes hinting at what was to come, from an elegant dame laid out across the screen in the opening and the low-lighting of Film Noir making a sequence of Drew creeping round the gardens of a house carry a menacing atmosphere.

Reported on in just under an hour run time, Kenneth R. Hayles adaptation of Maurice Harrison & Sidney Nelson's short story Involuntary Confession shakes Film Noir with a Caper tale,with the mutterings from the locals on the murder unveiling a town with hidden secrets, uncovered by the breezy exchanges between Drew and Billings. Snapping at each other to be the first at the typewriter, John Bentley and Hy Hazell give sparkling performances as Billings and Drew,thanks to them each giving the duo a slippery vibe in their sharp one liners exchanges on the stolen assignment.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #1 : December 27, 2017, 02:21:10 AM »

I also rated it a 6 out of 10, it's decent lighthearted fun. Bentley and the always lovely Hazell have such good chemistry, it's odd that they didn't star in the following movies with the roving reported couple Billings & Drew (Bentley starred opposite someone else in the 1st movie of the series as well).

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

« #2 : December 28, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »

Hi XHC! I hope you had a good Christmas,and thanks for telling me about this being part of a series! Has the first movie come out on DVD? On a side note,Arrow have a sale on until the 12th (I've just picked up Diamond Guys 2,they have sadly stopped doing free post.)

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #3 : December 29, 2017, 02:21:14 AM »

Hi XHC! I hope you had a good Christmas,and thanks for telling me about this being part of a series! Has the first movie come out on DVD? On a side note,Arrow have a sale on until the 12th (I've just picked up Diamond Guys 2,they have sadly stopped doing free post.)

Yes, Final Appointment has indeed been released, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Appointment-Murder-Campus-DVD/dp/B00EWJ69TG

Network UK also released another Billings/Drew movie, Dead Lucky (1960), but I've not yet seen it.

I did see Arrow have another sale going, I spent all my outstanding reward points on it already heh (hopefully my order will be here soon).

Xmas was nice, thank you, hope it was nice over there too. My gf gave me a nice noir-ish graphic novel, Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips' 'The Fade Out'; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvzUb3koKn8

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines