Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:53:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The movie's biggest flaws/your pet peeves?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The movie's biggest flaws/your pet peeves?  (Read 25947 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 07:07:03 AM »

And you shouldn't forget that young Patsy gets the best scene in the history of cinema. For me that alone is enough to justify his existence in the film.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 07:09:10 AM »

It's definitely one of my favourite scenes from the movie too. I don't care what anyone else says, I would've picked the cream cake too.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »

Not a remarkable scene for me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »

Only that for this scene nobody figured it out. It is simply irritating.

Agreed. Ambiguity obviously doesn't sit well with some viewers.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »

Agreed. Ambiguity obviously doesn't sit well with some viewers.

well there's ambiguity and ambiguity. Now that I understand it I don't have a problem with it, but there are some things in OUATIA where a little less ambiguity may be in order (but again, it's somewhat muddled cuz of the deleted scenes)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 03:41:24 AM »

I don't think that anything is muddled, except for this one scene.

As I always said OuTiA does not need any further scenes to be understood. It only gets maybe a bit more complex, but only maybe.

Actually I think the film is way too long for its substance. Further scenes would make an already overlong film even longer. But that was the typical Leone problem since FaFDM.

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 03:43:30 AM »

What scenes do you think are too long?
At first I thought 229 MV was way too long, but I can't think of anything I'd remove.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »

Only that for this scene nobody figured it out. It is simply irritating.

Well that was quite straitforward to me since the first viewing... I also thought "hey, will we know more about this?" and became a little frustrated, but I had not heard of deleted scenes at that point so it seemed ok to me. And the idea is quite simple, being more or less the main topic of the film and stuff.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »

What scenes do you think are too long?
At first I thought 229 MV was way too long, but I can't think of anything I'd remove.

Although I don't think the movie is too long, it drags a little. Many people, including Mc Govern, pointed out that the quality of the childhood scenes is never reached again in the film (no matter how many incredible scenes there still are). But it's a script flaw, not an editing one. From there, there is no perfect solution: you either cut stuff that are incredibly good (because that's what the 229min version is made of) or let the film drag here and there. Actually, I'm glad Leone chose to keep it that long. I'd rather have a flawed masterpiece than a perfect gangster movie. Especially as Leone's last work.

Another idea: may be the first hour is just too good for the film's own good.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »

Casting of Elizabeth McGovern.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

Although I don't think the movie is too long, it drags a little. Many people, including Mc Govern, pointed out that the quality of the childhood scenes is never reached again in the film (no matter how many incredible scenes there still are). But it's a script flaw, not an editing one. From there, there is no perfect solution: you either cut stuff that are incredibly good (because that's what the 229min version is made of) or let the film drag here and there. Actually, I'm glad Leone chose to keep it that long. I'd rather have a flawed masterpiece than a perfect gangster movie. Especially as Leone's last work.

Another idea: may be the first hour is just too good for the film's own good.

Yes the first hour is much stronger than the rest. There ain't much of the brilliance of his westerns in this rest. It's always well made, but rarely really good.

Uhh, first hour ... if this includes the childhood scenes I have to correct me. the beginning is great until the childhood part starts. Actually I think that the film  does not really need all this childhood stuff. Especially as like I pointed out Patsy and Cockeye are superfluous for the film.

I don't know, I was a bit bored the last time I watched it, and didn't find much to cheer about. I won't re-watch it the next 20 years, only that this longer version will surely change that. But I will re-watch OuTW 5 or 10 times in this time slot. And all his other westerns (including Nobody) also several times.

Noodles, why is a perfect gangster film not a masterpiece?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:40:07 PM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »

Casting of Elizabeth McGovern.

you just have this cradle-robbing crush on Jennifer Connely  Tongue

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »

Noodles, why is a perfect gangster film not a masterpiece?

Just a question of scope and ambition... To me a real masterpiece has to be something more. When watching GBU, I always have the feeling that nothing can beat it. However, OUATITW is way better. Because GBU is as good as a western can get while OUATITW is as good as cinema can get. Another way to put it would be in term of landmark for humanity, however pretentious it may sound. In 1000 years, no one will watch GBU again. But I bet (some) people will still be writing, discussing and arguing over Hamlet, The Odyssey and OUATITW.

One could see it the other way around (I tend to watch GBU more often than OUATITW because of its entertainment value), but it don't Smiley What do you think?

www.ThibautOskian.com
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »

Well I prefer GBU over OUATITW in terms of cinematic and entertainment value.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 03:03:27 AM »

Man, you have no heart Cheesy

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM